What To Get - Need Advice

ConfusedHusband

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone I could use some help. My wife is an aspiring photographer, she has done very well with the low level camera she is using now (Old model Nikon Coolpix ) but wants to move on to bigger and better things.

I thought I would surprise her with a camera for Christmas - She is looking at the Nikon D90 but right now it is out of our price range. Can anyone reccomend a good entry level user friendly DSLR that will get her started on her journey? She prefers the Nikons but I think she would be happy with any upgrade.

She photographs mostly animals and nature but does the occassional portrait. She has a ton of ideas and what she has done with a point and shoot is nothing short of amazing and I cannot wait to see what she can do with some semi-pro equipment.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Craig M.

Look at the d3000 it was on sale at bestbuy

Check out the d40. It is an amazing entry camera and very affordable. I think it is about 400 for the camera and a basic lens that will be able to get her on her feet. Of course later down the line she can upgrade to those lenses that are even better. Good luck and happy holidays!
tj

Hey Craig,

Just out of curiousity, did you happen to use the "search" function located in the upper right of your vewing window?

Could be a good start. Just a thought. :biggrin:

Cool that you have joined TPF, but be a good citizen all the same.

I second the D40. Either that or a D60, but really the D40 is better due to the higher flash sync speed.

The concensus here might be to suggest you go for a D90, but not everyone has an extra $1,000.00 lying around just waiting to spend it for a new camera. And I don't necessarily agree with the consensus. Maybe I am too old and too conservative, where money can sometimes be hard to come by.

For what they are, the D5000, D3000, heck, even a used D40 or D70 can take some wonderful photographs once you know more about photography.

I would recommend attending the "Nikon School", for less than $200.00, but some here might not agree with that either.

The equation for a good photograph (ISO/aperture/shutter speed) is math and physics that can be learned, and learning how to know a "good shot" when you see it will come with experience.

Photography should be FUN, it doesn't have to break you, or cost so much that you can't even afford to do it.

Happy shooting, whatever you choose as best for YOU!

Thanks for the 2 suggestions so far. The price on the D40 is very nice but I know she wanted something with a little higher megapixel. I know nothing about cameras so not sure what the difference is. Just know what shes been talking about these last few months.

Craig.

Thanks for the 2 suggestions so far. The price on the D40 is very nice but I know she wanted something with a little higher megapixel. I know nothing about cameras so not sure what the difference is. Just know what shes been talking about these last few months.

Craig.

At 8" X 10" MP's don't mean squat, just a marketing ploy.

You (or most people) couldn't tell the difference in a 6mp and a 10mp shot unless you were blowing it up to be huge...

I have a 2MP P&S that takes VERY nice photographs....

Craig.

I understand. Once she gets into photography a bit more she will come to learn that megapixels aren't everything. Unless you're going to be doing huge prints of the images she takes like feet or something then megapixels don't matter too much, or large crops. What exactly is your budget for a camera. Of course the nikon d90 is a better body but the d40 has many of the features in a very beginner friendly package with tips and all of that. Also a good stocking stuffer might be the book understanding exposure which you can buy Here
Hope that helped out.
tj

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd like to stay under $600 - I know thats pennies when wanting quality but with 4 kids the holiday budget has to really stretch if you know what I mean. She is going to be enrolling in photography classes once she gets a camera so if what your saying about mps is the case then she will learn that soon enough, heck she may already know as she is using the Coolpix 5700 now and I think it is only 5mp ? Not sure though

While looking at the D40 as suggested here I came across a D40X ? beside mp and price any difference?

No most people say the d40x is a waste of the extra money. I would just stick with the d40 and either the kit lens or you can just get the body and 35mm f/1.8 lens. But w/ that lens she won't be able to zoom in/out so to start her off it may be better to have something where it will be a little bit easier to work with.
TJ

Edit: for the price of the d40x you would be better off with a nikon d90 which would blow the thing out of the water if you were in that price range. Save the money and just go with the d40. Great camera for anyone.

I'd like to stay under $600 - I know thats pennies when wanting quality but with 4 kids the holiday budget has to really stretch if you know what I mean. She is going to be enrolling in photography classes once she gets a camera so if what your saying about mps is the case then she will learn that soon enough, heck she may already know as she is using the Coolpix 5700 now and I think it is only 5mp ? Not sure though

While looking at the D40 as suggested here I came across a D40X ? beside mp and price any difference?

The main differences between D40 (6MP, faster flash synch than D40X) and D40X (10MP, more fps, lower ISO, but the pixels in the D40X receive less light than the D40).

I have owned and used both, and prefer the D40.

D40X was discontinued in late 2007 (correct?)

For $600.00 you can get a D40, and both "kit" lenses, which are good quality for the $$, especially to begin with.

I still vote for D40.

I have a D80, and a D70, but still like to shoot with my D40 sometimes....

Come to think of it, you could also get a nice used D70 (has wider selection compatible lenses) well within your price range...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back