What to get next?

ratty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have been looking at the forum with great interest for a while now and, well here I am!!! :)
I currently own a Canon 3000N with standard lens and after looking at some photos I recently took on a break, I have decided that some of the photos would have been much better in black and white.
Back to the question in hand- what to get next? I want to get a second body that will fit my existing lenses (simplifies future choices as well) but that would be ok for using infrared films through as well. What thoughts do people have on this subject, as I have been thinking along the lines of the Canon 650 and its bretheren.

Thanks for any input, and when I get a scanner sorted I will attempt to post some photos :D

Ratty.

It's a bit tricky to offer an opinion Ratty - seems like you've decided you want a second (hand) Canon body (I don't use Canon anymore either)..

One difficulty in trying to use the same autofocus lenses on manual Canon bodies is the lack of compatibility, and the loss of coupling functions perhaps. The other is using lenses designed for autofocus on a manual camera: it's an unworthy compromise in the Canon stable. The Nikon stable cameras work better imho.

Why not have something different to complement your consumer Canon system?

Second-hand SLR camera bodies and lenses are so much cheaper nowadays. You might consider having a fixed lens manual rangefinder with a wide-angle lens circa 35mm that you can shoot infra-red film with: that way you don't have to try and focus through a terrible dim lens with a red filter in front, or focus before you put the filter on via tripod etc. You don't have to worry about switching lenses either since you can't. A second-hand rangefinder might make more sense partly because using longer telephoto lenses with infra-red film results in focussing error and all sorts of infra-red quirks..

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info, my Dad has a 20 year old Chinon setup that I quite like, so looking for a different setup may well be the thing to do :) what are the things to look for / ask about with a second hand system. I bought my camera 2 years ago (new) and would think about buying on ebay :?: Any pointers would be great!

Ratty.

There are many second-hand SLR systems worth investing in.

The Chinon camera you mention is fair as a starting camera however its lenses tend to be a little limited. Being of an older design and less corrected across its focal length, maybe doesn't offer any significant quality over your current zoom lenses. I recall it being a budget manual SLR, rather than enthusiast's but I couldn't afford it when it came out then either ;)

As you have most of the autofocus stuff, you might like to consider something a little different: perhaps a high quality fixed lens on one SLR body. Olympus OM10, 20s and 40's series SLR with 50mm Zuiko lenses often go for less than $100 in great condition. Add on a handgrip motordrive and it really looks and handle like the business. The Yashica FX103 program camera is worth a look - it takes Carl Zeiss lenses, so you can always try and find a 50mm Planar f1.7 lens to go with it. Or even start off with a Contax 139 camera and a 50mm f1.7. The Nikon FM2 camera and Nikkor 50mm f1.8 is a bit pricier but still worth a look too.

Best of luck.

Most reactions

Back