What to get next

snoword

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Would like to know what the next step is.......

I have had my new camera for about 4 weeks and having a great time. Nikon D60 with a kit lens (18-55mm) and just purchased a SB600 since I thought that is the next must have.

Not sure what the next logical step is. I assume it is a lense. Wider angle, zoom? I hear a lot of people talking about a fixed 50mm 1.8 sigma.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The way to pick a new lens is this:

1) work out what sort of shots you want to take that you current kit won't let you take - or that you wish to take in better quality

2) Work out and state you final budget for this new lens - and when asking for advice tell us ;) helps a lot!

A good tripod is another thought ....

What kind of pix do you like to take?

Would like to know what the next step is.......

I have had my new camera for about 4 weeks and having a great time. Nikon D60 with a kit lens (18-55mm) and just purchased a SB600 since I thought that is the next must have.

Not sure what the next logical step is. I assume it is a lense. Wider angle, zoom? I hear a lot of people talking about a fixed 50mm 1.8 sigma.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

sooner or later... your're gonna end up with a 50mm prime.. the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 is dirt cheap... might as well...

the sister lens to the kit 55-200vr is very sharp for a cheap lens... you may want to check that out...

decent tripod...

wide lens....

a nice 2.8 mid zoom...

the world is your oyster....

I like to take landscape and I am beginning to like macros. I have always liked the idea of capturing a broad area in one picture as you would with a wide angle lens.

I guess I would lean towards a wide angle lens.

Also, is there a zoom lens that can be used for macros also?

Thanks

most zoom macro lenses are not real macro lenses in that they can focus 1:1 ratio - they tend to just have a close focusing element -good but you won't be getting the eyes of bugs to show up all their different facets (SP?).
Most proper macro lenses are primes - fixed focal lengths.

also - how much do you have to play with in cash/are willing to save up for?

umm, as for money i am kinda open. Would like to keep it under five since i just bought the camera.

I don't want to buy something that i will need more from soon.

I highly recommend the Tokina 11-16 wide angle zoom. I've been testing out Tokina's lately and they are absolutely amazing as far as optic quality and ruggedness go. They're also quite a bit more affordable than Nikkor glass.

umm, as for money i am kinda open. Would like to keep it under five since i just bought the camera.

I don't want to buy something that i will need more from soon.

hmmmm $500.00

new 50mm prime + used Sigma 10-20mm + tripod = $500

or

new 50mm prime + used Sigma 105mm macro + tripod = $500

or replace Sigma with Tokina 12-24 and 105mm

or replace Sigma with Tamron 90mm ... i'm not sure of their wide lens

hmmmm $500.00

new 50mm prime + used Sigma 10-20mm + tripod = $500

I don't think you'll be able to do all that for 500 -- the sigma alone is over 400 and a good tripod with ball head (even used) is probably going to cost you over 200

Also, is there a zoom lens that can be used for macros also?

Thanks
They are just good for close ups. A good Nikon macro lense will run you about a grand or better. But if you want to get into shooting birds/animals a zoom would work for you for awhile. It will also give you some range. As it stands the 18-55 will cover your wide for abit and, 55-200VR will give you more versatility till you can afford say a good prime macro.

Most reactions

Back