What to get next?

What are you going to do when you get a lens that takes a bigger filter?

You can buy a bigger filter and a step down ring now and use the bigger filter with your current glass. When you upgrade to faster glass where 77mm is a somewhat common size you'll already have what you need.

Have you looked at B+W filters. Many think they are better than Hoya's. Not all Hoya filters are worth buying.

What are you going to do when you get a lens that takes a bigger filter?

You can buy a bigger filter and a step down ring now and use the bigger filter with your current glass. When you upgrade to faster glass where 77mm is a somewhat common size you'll already have what you need.

Have you looked at B+W filters. Many think they are better than Hoya's. Not all Hoya filters are worth buying.

How about this one? I am pretty much going to have to spend about 100 bucks on one huh?

65062162 B + W 77mm Circular Polarizer Coated Glass Filter

I'm probably putting a target on my back for this from some people .... buuuttt... I had been shopping for a few different filters (softening, polarizer etc....) and it was suggested to me to save some money and just do my adjustments in photoshop. Since I am a tool with photoshop (and have a really old version and not the money to upgrade right now...) I came across some Tiffen Software that has all the filters built right in, I just apply them to the image after. There's lots of neat effects and manipulations you can do with the software too. You can download a free 15 day trial from their website and play... It's called Tiffen DFX, and can be found here: Tiffen

Oh, and it's about $150.

Last edited:
"What to get next?"

Perhaps an SB 600 speedlight (flash) would be useful for indoor photos.

Somebody, not sure who, said, "If you don't know what to get, then you don;t need anything else." if it were me, I would want a flash more so than the 35/1.8 lens. Maybe you could use your equipment for a while and see what your current kit can do, and only then make a buying decision on your next equipment purchase.

"What to get next?"

Perhaps an SB 600 speedlight (flash) would be useful for indoor photos.

Somebody, not sure who, said, "If you don't know what to get, then you don;t need anything else." if it were me, I would want a flash more so than the 35/1.8 lens. Maybe you could use your equipment for a while and see what your current kit can do, and only then make a buying decision on your next equipment purchase.

I dont plan another lens for a long time and I am not really that interested in indoor photos, yet anyway. I know I want a tripod, battery, the canon 500d close up filter and a polarizer soon though.

Im not sure what the difference between expensive polarizers and the cheaper ones is though.

Just be sure that when you do buy your tripod it's going to fit your shooting style... I made the mistake of buying a Velbon "photo/video" tripod and found out in a hurry that it was more geared for video than photo. It was not designed to flip over into a 'portrait' orientation. It only panned left to right and up and down.

:thumbup: on this advice. Purchased a used Quick-Set tripod which is plenty sturdy but won't do 90 degrees for portraits.

I confess that I didn't read all the comments, just the original post. My thought is .... slow down. Learn to use what you already have. When you get to the point where you say to yourself "I really need X ... b/c my current X is holding me back by X, Y, and Z". Buying gear doesn't expand your ability.

Just be sure that when you do buy your tripod it's going to fit your shooting style... I made the mistake of buying a Velbon "photo/video" tripod and found out in a hurry that it was more geared for video than photo. It was not designed to flip over into a 'portrait' orientation. It only panned left to right and up and down.

:thumbup: on this advice. Purchased a used Quick-Set tripod which is plenty sturdy but won't do 90 degrees for portraits.

Can you change the head? Keep the legs and get a better head.

I confess that I didn't read all the comments, just the original post. My thought is .... slow down. Learn to use what you already have. When you get to the point where you say to yourself "I really need X ... b/c my current X is holding me back by X, Y, and Z". Buying gear doesn't expand your ability.

Yeah I know, I am just going to go for the backup battery, tripod and my friend has a spare polarizer he said I can have.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Last edited:
how about an SB400 or SB600 flash?

I would suggest good UV filters first and foremost. They will help protect the glass if nothing else but also help with those pesky UV rays. If you can swing that and a good polarize filter and lens hoods to help reduce the risk of lens flare.

These are easily overlooked and yet awfully important items to any lens.

Also depending on what and how you plan on shooting, a good mono-pod might be as effective as a tripod.
Digital camera sensors already have a UV filter. UV filters were commonly used on film cameras.

Ordinary, untreated glass blocks most of UVB. The most energetic of the UV rays, UVC, are filtered out by the atmosphere.

Many think using a UV filter to 'protect' a lens is a waste of money. There have been reported instances where the shards from a shattered UV filter have gouged the objective lens when breaking, or have gouged the objective lens when being removed from the lens after being broken. Since the shards are usually forced inwards and held there by the filters outer ring.

At worst lower quality UV filters can cause a noticeable decrease in image quality. A top notch UV filter will not degrade image quality, though there are some limited situations a UV filter may help image quality somewhat:
  • At altitudes above 5,000 feet
  • In lighting situations where some materials are caused to flouresce by the light source.
UV filters attached to the front of a lens promote internal lens flare when the lens is pointed near or at a bright light source. A UV filter will also cause a decease in contrast from light scatter in the air gap between the filter and the objective glass.

Using the lens cap and a lens hood provides protection for the front of a lens with little downside (as long as you remember to remove the lens cap before shooting :blushing:) and both are normally included with your lens. A lens hood will give a slight increase in contrast but can cause unwanted shadows when using flash on the camera.

And thats what happens when you take an old film guy who is relatively new to digital. With that said, I have not experianced any of the negative effects of using a UV on my D80. Sorry for the bad advice. I still would want a Polarizing filter but there have been some really good suggestions including do nothing and learn to use what you have.

Just ordered the tripod. My birthday is coming up so I think I am going to ask for the Canon 500d close up lens (I think I am just going to get the 52mm one because I know which lens I will be using it on and cant see myself getting a new lens id use it on any time soon) and a backup battery.

Can you change the head? Keep the legs and get a better head.

Don't believe so. This is a tripod that was manufactured in the late 60's or early 70's. Am not certain by any means since there is no manual with it and haven't found hardly any reference to this model on the Internet.

And the point they were trying to make about the filter was to protect the end of your very expensive SLR lens from getting scuffed, touched, scratched, dented, chipped or even broken. So get a Skylight filter instead of a UV one. Or even a haze. Something! :)

did you get the dolica tripod? your thoughts?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back