What to get Nikon D40 or D40x?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ricasanta, May 2, 2008.

1. ricasanta

ricasanta TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Im looking for a really good hobby and i find photography really very interesting though i have no idea on the do's and dont's.

FOr a beginner what DSLR should i buy? i have no idea but im aiming for NIkon D40 or D40x.

Need big help! im planning to buy this week end that is why i need feedback asap..

Thank you!

2. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

What kind of shots are you going to be doing?

3. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^ Ditto. I personally prefer the D40 and it's actually better than the D40x and the D60 that replaced the 40x in a number of ways while also being cheaper. It does depend on what sort of photography you think you'd be doing though, so it's impossible to give any advice without knowing what you plan to shoot. Sports? Indoor? Outdoor? Landscape? Kids? Random? Do you think you'd want to play around with a ton of different lenses and especially primes, or just stick with zooms? There's some good links in my signature to check out too.

4. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think that those points make much difference. The D40 is the way to go.

5. RubyMagic

RubyMagic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree. For a hobbyist...just get the D40.

I use one, too! It's great for shooting live music.
    Especially because its small and cheap, allowing you to
    be more free with the camera if youre dealing with the crowd.

6. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Neither... for $100 less then a d40 you can pick up a gently used nikon d70 on ebay. Both cameras have the same picture quality and speed, yet the d70 is a step up the ladder when it comes to features and backwards compatibility--a big one being the d40's lack of an internal focus motor.

The only drawback of a d70 vs a d40 is the smaller lcd screen on the d70, and the d40 is smaller and lighter (because of less features).

[​IMG]

7. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The D40 also has the great info screen on the back. I hated it first, but now I love it and hate the way everything older is setup. And the D40 also has an RGB histogram display that the D70 doesn't have either. That's critical for judging exposure and seeing if you're blowing out channels or not. The blinky display only goes off of one channel I think.

8. snaremop

snaremop TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a D40 and love it. I always thought that the D40x was better, though, because of the extra megapixels and other features... Is this not true?

9. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The D40 has:

- a faster base ISO (200 vs 100)
    - is a stop better at high ISO (the D40 still looks great at 1600, the D40x/80, not so great)
    - superior 1/500s flash sync, critical for fill flash in harsh light with your kids running around (40x is only 1/200s)
    - is overall sharper
    - works better with cheaper lenses
    - 6MP is still plenty for even 3 foot wide prints
    - is $200 cheaper

Extra megapixels is the hugest selling feature of the 40x, but is only really important enough if you crop a lot, in which case the 10MP sensor will still have enough of a photo left over to still do big prints with. It's more critical that you fill the frame completely as possible with the 6MP sensor since there isn't much to spare if you plan to print big.

10. sultan

sultan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The D40 is better - faster flash sync and less noise at high ISO. Go for it.

11. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is that even a good thing? What if your trying to do long shutter speeds in bright light?
    Wouldn't a D80/D40x's noise look similar (if not better) if you reduced a D80/D40x's image down to a D40-sized 6mp pic? And I'm pretty sure a D40 would not look as good as a D40x/D80 when enlarged to a D40x/D80's size.
    I won't argue with that, nice feature to have.
    Why/ how would that be? I doubt there would be a very big difference in sharpness.
    I don't understand, you just said a D40 was sharper so wouldn't it show the flaws of a cheaper lens?
    Sure it is, but of course a 10 mp image size would be more desirable.
    That's a big reason, that's why if I had to choose between a D40 or D40x, I'd get a D40.
    I agree, 6 mp files are plenty if your not a guy who prints large or crops a lot.

Sorry for pickin your post apart, just wondering how you will back your statements up. :biggrin:

12. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont think it really matters what type of photography your doing but d40 is way to go. Only think your losing is .5 fps, 100 higher base iso, and a few MP. But you can save money and put it towards nice glass.