What to get Nikon D40 or D40x?

Unfortunately, if you choose either the D40/40X, you're going to have to be putting lots of money towards nice glass.
Not necessarily. I mean, if the OP wanted to take his photography to "the next level", then yes, he would need to spend carefully on AF-S lenses, or Sigma HSM, etc. But for a beginner, this disadvantage really doesn't matter much. I have the kit 18-55mm lens and a Sigma 55-200 HSM, and that's it. I don't need any other lenses. Sure, a 50mm F/1.8 would be nice, and yes, you can't AF with that, but I don't need it. And even if I did, I would be taking photos of still objects.

So, IMO, go for the D40. Less noise, crisp photos, and a class-leading 1/500 sec flash sync means I don't regret my purchase one bit. :mrgreen:

(God, I'm sounding like a camera salesman now...:confused:)

I too just picked up a D40 as my first camera. It is a very nice camera for someone that is just starting out. When I started looking at cameras (I'm sure you are the same way) I was over welmed with all the information. I knew that you get what you pay for but I am new and the D40 will do just about anything I would want it to do and still not break the bank. I found that the D40 is a great camera for the money.

Is that even a good thing? What if your trying to do long shutter speeds in bright light?

Wouldn't a D80/D40x's noise look similar (if not better) if you reduced a D80/D40x's image down to a D40-sized 6mp pic? And I'm pretty sure a D40 would not look as good as a D40x/D80 when enlarged to a D40x/D80's size.

I won't argue with that, nice feature to have.

Why/ how would that be? I doubt there would be a very big difference in sharpness.

I don't understand, you just said a D40 was sharper so wouldn't it show the flaws of a cheaper lens?

Sure it is, but of course a 10 mp image size would be more desirable.

That's a big reason, that's why if I had to choose between a D40 or D40x, I'd get a D40.

I agree, 6 mp files are plenty if your not a guy who prints large or crops a lot.

Sorry for pickin your post apart, just wondering how you will back your statements up. :biggrin:

The D40 isnt overall sharper...just pixel by pixel sharpness. Which is just as important.

Overall, the D40 IS the better camera. No doubt.

Not necessarily. I mean, if the OP wanted to take his photography to "the next level", then yes, he would need to spend carefully on AF-S lenses, or Sigma HSM, etc. But for a beginner, this disadvantage really doesn't matter much. I have the kit 18-55mm lens and a Sigma 55-200 HSM, and that's it. I don't need any other lenses. Sure, a 50mm F/1.8 would be nice, and yes, you can't AF with that, but I don't need it. And even if I did, I would be taking photos of still objects.

So, IMO, go for the D40. Less noise, crisp photos, and a class-leading 1/500 sec flash sync means I don't regret my purchase one bit. :mrgreen:

(God, I'm sounding like a camera salesman now...:confused:)

I agree with you all the way.

And also, i have a "nifty fifty" and i love to use it on my d40x. But most of my shots with it are of the artsy sorts with stationary objects.

I agree with you all the way.

And also, i have a "nifty fifty" and i love to use it on my d40x. But most of my shots with it are of the artsy sorts with stationary objects.
I would only really recommend a 50mm prime for stationary subjects, because even with autofocusing, you'll be pushing the AF motor to its limit wide-open, and you'll have the limitations of a prime lens. I also use a fifty for some shots, but that's an AI type lens :confused:. Hard to focus AND I need to use it on Manual mode!!! But I think the photos come out OK =D

You also can't forget the venerable D70s. It's leaps and bounds above the D40. You have the 1/500 flash sync speed, and the benefit of commander mode from the on-board flash.

I'm very glad that I sold my D40 and replaced it with the D70s. I can use some much older but extremely high quality glass and not have to manually focus it. And I can use all of the newer AF-S glass.

You also can't forget the venerable D70s. It's leaps and bounds above the D40. You have the 1/500 flash sync speed, and the benefit of commander mode from the on-board flash.

I'm very glad that I sold my D40 and replaced it with the D70s. I can use some much older but extremely high quality glass and not have to manually focus it. And I can use all of the newer AF-S glass.

Where would you ever get a ludicrous idea as to sell a D40 for a D70s?????

I did the same thing and it was the best change I've made. I'm mind-blown by the statement of a fifty-nifty only being useful for static objects. That's outright ridiculous. I could post hundreds of portraits of a baby on the move that came out great with the 50mm f1.8 that wouldn't have even been possible with kit lens (due to low light).

Even with flash the 50mm f1.8's color and clarity blow away the kit lens that you are "stuck with" unless you have $500 to upgrade to sharper glass.

The only things that the D40 has over the D70s is the larger LCD (I do my editing on the comp so it doesn't matter), better high ISO performance, RGB histogram (not as important if you have all the settings right and shoot in RAW). The advantages of the D70s over a D40 are too numerous for me to mention.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back