What to look for in a scanner?

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just curious, I've never been a scan-fan, but I am wondering what seperates the good scanners from the bad? I've had moderate luck with Epson scanners, but i don't know about the rest. What are the 'big boy' scanners in the market today? What about negative scanners? Or any other type of scanners that I may not know about yet? Pros and cons analysis would be appreciated!

I don't think I have a particularly "big boy" (why does this phrase keep appearing, I wonder? :shock: ) scanner, so I'll be interested in hearing others weigh in. I have an Epson, too, a 2450 Perfection. I wanted the slide and negative holders, and I'm glad I have them, though I still think those images can get blown out quickly and I usually have to darken them or play with the color saturation to get it to mimic the slide. Not being a fan of photoshop manipulation, this doesn't set well with me. :? I have better luck scanning straight photographs with this scanner. It's a fairly straightforward, easy to use scanner, but for the $360 price I don't know that I didn't overpay.

I much prefer negative scanners over flatbeds for scanning film, but I guess people are having good luck with the new flatbeds. I have an Acer Scanwit 2400 dpi scanner that works well for me, but luckily I haven't had to touch it in a while now that I have the 10D. I get bored too easily.

Most reactions

Back