What to look for in filters and step up rings

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by roger.wee, Apr 14, 2008.

1. roger.wee

roger.wee TPF Noob!

Jan 9, 2008
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all,

I am in the search for a polarizing filter, UV filter and 58mm-77mm step up ring, but there seems to be so much variation in price and i have no idea what to look for when buying these 3 items.

If it makes a difference, i currently have a 18-55mm canon lense (58mm in diameter) and intend on buying the 10-22mm canon wide angle lense in the future - which is why i'm buying the step up ring.

The 3 step up rings i've found are:

As you can see, huge price differences...any help would be great.

In regards to the filters, BHphoto have recommended for the 10-22mm canon wide angle lense the:

Canon - 77mm Haze UV-1 Glass Filter ($34.95)
    Canon - 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter ($124.95)

I'm not too fussed with the UV filter but the polarizing filter i've seen for half the price. Does anyone have any good advice as to what i should get?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
  2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Like a lot of things...photography equipment varies widely in price. Some of it is quality and some if it is name/brand.

Sometimes the cheaper products are a great bargain...but most of the time, you get what you pay for.

One thing to note, is that it looks like the first step-up ring isn't very thin. This might lead to some vignetting on a the wide end of the zoom. The others look to be thinner, which is probably better.

As for filters...there are many factors which could affect the price. I usually find something that isn't the most expensive but not the cheapest either.