What to look for when buying a used lens

my*

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am meeting a guy today to potentially purchase a lens (Canon 16-35). The lens is 6 years old. What sort of things would you look for when inspecting it? (obviousely the glass, what else?)

make sure the zoom functions smoothly and isn't too loose.

Hook it up to a body and make sure both the auto and manual focus works.

Make sure it plays well with your body, metering, etc.

Give it a shake, make sure nothing is rattling around.

I know you mentioned the glass, but make sure you check both ends.

Someone asked this same question a week or two ago, you will probably be able to find the thread with a search.

I would put the lens on a camera and make sure that it focuses like it should. Also, run though the aperture settings with the DOF preview button and make sure the blades aren't sticky or get stuck.

I'd only buy a lens used if it were in near mint condition. Some people just have no clue how to treat their gear, some of the ebay pics are disgusting. As soon as I see scratches/dents/dings/excessive wear on the barrel or lens, I'm turned off.

I actually just bought my 80-200 2.8 used a couple weeks ago in person and it was in mint condition.

Good tips. Thanks!

Someone asked this same question a week or two ago, you will probably be able to find the thread with a search

Do you remember the title of the thread or which forum it was in. So far I have not found it

Most reactions

Back