what to say during a shoot to the others who whip out their gear and saying look here

well what I guess I'm trying to say is that I don't want to have that clause becaue I've had the opportunity to meet other great photographers that way. I may never have met them. If anyone is approach to do something like that just know you have to speak with the other photographer before hand and go into it with a different mind set.

If I got nothing else but meeting some new photographers then it was worth it for me.

Things are shifting (or have shifted) in the wedding photography business. It used to be the prevailing standard that you would shoot the wedding and make most or all of your income from print sales, reprints & albums etc. It's certainly understandable that a photographer would want to protect their livelihood.
These days (and especially with digital), it's more common to charge for the service of shooting the wedding and the print sales are either non-existent or a bonus.

It's great that you have had some good experiences and met some great photographers...but it could easily be a bad situation if you want to do things one way and another 'hired' photographer wants to do it another way. It could easily compromise the product of one or both photographers.

Either way, it's something that I have in my contract as a precaution but it's not a big deal for me.

I would assume we're talking about weddings you're shooting at. What I like to do is tell everyone else who is taking pictures (I call them the paparazzi) that I will take the first pictures in a pose and then I will give them a chance after I have gotten the pictures I need. I tell them that my flashes will probably ruin their pictures so that usually scares em off for a bit.

I tell them that my flashes will probably ruin their pictures so that usually scares em off for a bit.
I've heard of photographers who put up a slave flash with optical trigger, pointed back at the 'paparazzi'...so that their flash actually does ruin their photos. :lol:

I took photos from slightly behind and to the right of him just after his own shots

I know it was Ok'd with the photographer but I hate it when people do that when I'm shooting. For me, photography is all about getting yourself and your subjects into the right position,pose and lighting. After that just about any camera will do (you know what I mean...)... Maybe its just a pet peve but I really get annoyed when people "steal" my shots like that, it almost as bad as copying my work and calling it your own.

(ok, so that was a rant and not at all directed at astrostu) Does this annoy anyone else ?

I've heard of photographers who put up a slave flash with optical trigger, pointed back at the 'paparazzi'...so that their flash actually does ruin their photos. :lol:

Big Mike,

That is just mean, awesome, but mean. I may have to try that once...hilarious!

If you really wanted to, you could probably tell people that you are the only photographer during formal shots. If they want shots...they can buy them from you (easiest if you proof off a website).

Big Mike,

That is just mean, awesome, but mean. I may have to try that once...hilarious!

Note to self: When shooting over someones shoulder, second-sync the flash :)

I'm guessing that I'll have my shot done before the optical slave fires .... ? Am I right ?

Note to self: When shooting over someones shoulder, second-sync the flash :)

I'm guessing that I'll have my shot done before the optical slave fires .... ? Am I right ?

Sure...but it's still gonna fire and either wash out your picture, or leave a huge glowing ball in it.

Heh, better than syncing on the first curtain though I guess :-D Just an idle thought at any rate...

Probably not...after all, light does travel at the speed of light :D

Although, a pre-flash would probably avoid it...but also screw up your metering.

Most reactions

Back