What to take to Disney World

Dmariehill

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We're heading to Disney World in 9 days. I am having the hardest time deciding what to take with me.

I have 2 camera bases to choose from. A Canon Rebel T4i and a Canon 5D (the classic).

I have a few lenses I can choose from or I still have time to rent a lens.

I have these lenses:

Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM (not compatible with the 5D)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8
Canon EF 70-200 f/4
Canon EF 17-40 f/4

I need to decide on a first choice for walking around the parks. I'll be taking photos of kids and characters inside and outside (we're doing a lot of meet and greets and character meals). I'll be taking scenery and hopefully shooting some shot while on rides (my kids are young and we won't be on any of the big rides). We're going to some shows but I don't care about taking pictures during the shows. We are not planning to be out at night much if at all because my kids are so young.

I've finally gotten comfortable with the 5D but it's certainly heavier than the rebel.

Suggestions? Out of the lenses I have what would you recommend? Or if you'd recommend renting a lens, which one would be your first choice?

Thanks!

I'll be there in a week myself. I am taking the following. 7D mk ii, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, extra batteries, multiple cards, 3 stop ND filter and holder, speedlight and rogue flash bender. (I will be shooting some sports stuff at the ESPN area for part of the weekend, that is why I am going with a little more gear. If I have room, I may pack in a 50mm f/1.8 just to carry and shoot in the park. I will also be taking a travel tripod. I am going to try to stay out and shoot the fireworks at least one night.

I'll be the contrarian. You are going to Disney to have fun and family time. To me, the T4i is plenty of camera to catch the images of the trip and it is much lighter than the 5D. I would take the 18-135 for the walk around lens. It will give you plenty of range. I doubt you will need to go beyond 135 on the crop sensor. I would then take the 50 f1.4 for the low light stuff and when you want shallow depth of field (which will be helpful getting rid of background clutter, of which there is plenty).

Money...........lots of Money............in fact take a $#!% load of money! Also take comfy shoes and a big bottle of Gold Bond Medicated Body Powder. You don't want to chaff while you are walking around.

It was for our last Disney trip that I picked up my 1Gx Mk II as I didn't want to carry something big around. There is far too much to do and see to spend your life there taking pictures. If you want lots of pictures get one of these. You can't hardly spit without hitting one of the photographers. We took 11 people to Disney, had one pass with everyone on it and came home with around 5,000 photos just from them. My shots were of some of the kids doing special things such as scuba diving, surfing etc.

The 5D with 17-40/4 and 85/1.8 would be my personal pick. Additionally if possible an external flash, and a flash cable. Maybe/likely also the 50/1.4 for situations with little light.

I would start off with the 17-40 as the default lens and would occasionately switch to the 85/1.8 for portraiture of my loved ones.

Reason for all these choices are mostly personal taste though. I dont know too much about Canon but I know the 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 70-200/4 are all considered good glas; if given the choice I prefer prime lenses, especially for portraiture. The 17-40/4 I'm not sure how good or bad that one is, but theres no alternative, and I absolutely love wide angle stuff. Its just awesome if you can show some interest close up and are still able to give the context of the situation in the background.

There is far too much to do and see to spend your life there taking pictures.
We cant be friends !!! ;-)

The 5D with 17-40/4 and 85/1.8 would be my personal pick. Additionally if possible an external flash, and a flash cable. Maybe/likely also the 50/1.4 for situations with little light.

I would start off with the 17-40 as the default lens and would occasionately switch to the 85/1.8 for portraiture of my loved ones.

Reason for all these choices are mostly personal taste though. I dont know too much about Canon but I know the 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 70-200/4 are all considered good glas; if given the choice I prefer prime lenses, especially for portraiture. The 17-40/4 I'm not sure how good or bad that one is, but theres no alternative, and I absolutely love wide angle stuff. Its just awesome if you can show some interest close up and are still able to give the context of the situation in the background.

There is far too much to do and see to spend your life there taking pictures.
We cant be friends !!! ;-)
Life is for living, not dedication to a hobby that when we pass will mean nothing to anyone.

It was my wife & I, our three children, their spouses and our 3 granddaughters. They were far more important to me than some pictures that would get looked at once, oohed and awwed over for 5 minutes and then put away. Instead we all have all the photos, I printed what we wanted to display and I had far more fun riding the tea cups over and over with the then 4 and 6 year old granddaughters then I ever would get from taking photos of them on the tea cups. In all between the Disney photos, my photos and the photos the kids and spouses took we probably have a collective of 7000-8000 photos. We took plenty in the evenings at meals, around the pool, at the beach, Universal Studios, Port St. Lucie and the other things we did besides just Disney.

When the kids were young and we went to Disney World, my wife insisted that we be up when the park opened and stayed till it closed. So my suggestion is a "VERY LIGHT WEIGHT" camera, "VERY COMFORTABLE" shoes, "GOOD QUALITY" strollers that will carry everything extra, and if the young children are walking "HARNESSES & LEASHES" . After the first hour of pounding that pavement you'll regret every extra pound, after the 2nd hour your feet will know everything bad about your shoes, after 3 hrs the kids will want everything you didn't bring, and after 4hrs when you good and tired you'll find that the kids can literally disappear in the blink of an eye. Like the comment above, pictures might remind you of a memory, but you have to participate to actually have memories.

When the kids were young and we went to Disney World, my wife insisted that we be up when the park opened and stayed till it closed. So my suggestion is a "VERY LIGHT WEIGHT" camera, "VERY COMFORTABLE" shoes, "GOOD QUALITY" strollers that will carry everything extra, and if the young children are walking "HARNESSES & LEASHES" . After the first hour of pounding that pavement you'll regret every extra pound, after the 2nd hour your feet will know everything bad about your shoes, after 3 hrs the kids will want everything you didn't bring, and after 4hrs when you good and tired you'll find that the kids can literally disappear in the blink of an eye. Like the comment above, pictures might remind you of a memory, but you have to participate to actually have memories.
Up when the park opened??? Shoot, my wife made sure that we were up long before the park opened and made sure that we were there to greet the cast and crew when they arrived to open the park. By the time we got home from the park it was so late that we were asking each other, well what do you want to do today???

Last edited:
We're heading to Disney World in 9 days. I am having the hardest time deciding what to take with me.

I have 2 camera bases to choose from. A Canon Rebel T4i and a Canon 5D (the classic).

I have these lenses:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8
Canon EF 70-200 f/4
Canon EF 17-40 f/4

I need to decide on a first choice for walking around the parks. I'll be taking photos of kids and characters inside and outside (we're doing a lot of meet and greets and character meals). I'll be taking scenery and hopefully shooting some shot while on rides (my kids are young and we won't be on any of the big rides). We're going to some shows but I don't care about taking pictures during the shows. We are not planning to be out at night much if at all because my kids are so young.

I've finally gotten comfortable with the 5D but it's certainly heavier than the rebel.

Suggestions? Out of the lenses I have what would you recommend? Or if you'd recommend renting a lens, which one would be your first choice?

Thanks!
You'v gotten some good advice about photo equipment. Let me add that it

I have these lenses:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8
Canon EF 70-200 f/4
Canon EF 17-40 f/4

Thanks!
You've gotten sensible photo advice. Let me add: There is very little shade and the wait for rides can easily be longer than an hour even for the less popular rides. You probably want to have hats on everyone and plan ways to amuse the kids during the long waiting times.

I need to decide on a first choice for walking around the parks.
I recommend a compact. One that fits in your pocket.

You'll never get the same shots as the pros get when the park sets up just for the professional photographer that the park pays to make those postcard shots. So as much as you envision making heirloom photographs, be prepared to be heartbroken, in that you can't actually duplicate them.

You will find yourself holding onto children, drinks, food, wallet, and the occasional handrail. You will be climbing into rides, visiting the rest rooms, and lots and lots of walking. Which means that big DSLR on a strap will be swinging and banging all day. Not to mention the backpack of extra lenses and flash taking up space on your back. Nothing like constantly removing the backpack and putting it back on to make you wonder why you brought it.

Enjoy the day.

You'll never get the same shots as the pros get when the park sets up

That's the truth, but here's something else most of the venues like meeting the characters for breakfast, lunch, etc. Also take photos you can buy. In looking back over all my memories guess who's missing from my photos.

Absolutely. We're taking the double stroller, and expecting to spend about 6 hours each day in the park. The rest of the time will be relaxing, pool, or at the resort. My kids are 3 and 4 and we know from experience that 7 hours is about their limit. So we're planning for less than that and hoping they aren't too overstimulated to enjoy that much.

We are doing the photo pass as well. But for the character meals, the photos are really limited I understand. That's what my daughter is really going to want.

I want to be able to take some shots, enjoy the experience and like what I get.

Absolutely. We're taking the double stroller, and expecting to spend about 6 hours each day in the park. The rest of the time will be relaxing, pool, or at the resort. My kids are 3 and 4 and we know from experience that 7 hours is about their limit. So we're planning for less than that and hoping they aren't too overstimulated to enjoy that much.

We are doing the photo pass as well. But for the character meals, the photos are really limited I understand. That's what my daughter is really going to want.

I want to be able to take some shots, enjoy the experience and like what I get.
Get there early, play a while, take the tram or the boat back to the resort for lunch & nap and then go back late afternoon evening. You will probably get more park time out of the kids that way, get on the rides faster in the morning and see the sites in the afternoon/evening time.

If they are girls check out the Princess dress up thing and the dinner with the princesses. Our 4 and 6 year olds were totally into both and had a ball.

I live just under an hour away from Disney, and my advice is go light as possible! DO NOT leave stuff in your stroller, as there is sadly a good chance it won't be there when you get back. It is hot here already (heat index was just shy of 100 in O-Town), so make sure you drink plenty of water, take advantage of shade and A/C, and the advice above about heading back to your room for rest in the afternoon is something I recommend as well. Good shoes, hats and sunscreen are must-have's.

Most reactions

Back