What to take to Disney World

I'll be the contrarian. You are going to Disney to have fun and family time. To me, the T4i is plenty of camera to catch the images of the trip and it is much lighter than the 5D. I would take the 18-135 for the walk around lens. It will give you plenty of range. I doubt you will need to go beyond 135 on the crop sensor. I would then take the 50 f1.4 for the low light stuff and when you want shallow depth of field (which will be helpful getting rid of background clutter, of which there is plenty).

Exactly what dunfly said.

As mentioned above, schlepping a big camera bag with a bunch of lenses is the last thing you want to be doing while walking, and walking, and standing in line, and walking, and walking... It's also becoming the 'hot steamy' season at Disney World, so personal comfort is the major concern. Be sure everyone has a hat on as well! Unless it's something you do every day, walking around in the hot sun all day becomes very exhausting in itself. Be sure to stay hydrated and sun screened as well. Comfortable walking shoes are also required.

Back when I turned 30, I spent a day at Disney Land (in CA) with my metal body 35mm Canon SLR and I think I had a FD 35-105 on it, and ASA 200 film. By the end noon, the camera felt more like an anchor around my neck! If I were to do it again today, almost 40 years later, I think I'd be hard pressed not to take just my smart phone, after making sure there's lots of memory available for pictures. These days, smart phones have pretty much taken over the 'family snapshot' business in my opinion. And the difference of carrying a very lightweight versatile cell phone vs several pounds of camera all day long CAN make a difference when (and how soon) you go back to your car and leave.

Also, I would definitely not take the your 5D. I recall a thread similar to this one several years ago on this site about what to take to Disney World/Land (search for Disney on this site) and one of the respondents indicated that they won't let you in with 'professional' gear. What they judge as professional may be any DSLR...some venues do exactly that! To be safe, check their web site for their FAQs and/or search 'photography' at their site, just to be sure.

I went to Disney World and Cape Canaveral a few years back...I took my Lumix LX5 and an iPhone4S
Here's photos from my old iPhone4S
IMG_0765.jpg
IMG_0852.jpg

I didn't use my LX5...just my iPhone in the end

I think I would have enjoyed my vacation way less if I had to drag a large camera.
as for the photographs and the memories...remember..this was an old cellphone
IMG_0847.jpg
IMG_0882.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg

you know, I told you what I was taking but after scanning the comments above, I'd offer you this for thought.

If I weren't going to shoot the sports stuff, I would consider just paying the money to disney for the photo package there and make sure that you have them take a lot of photos of you throughout the park.

If it were me, I'd probably take my Nikon D5100 and 50mm f/1.8.

Lightweight, and good quality.

I hate it when I go places and then something happens and I'm like, "crap... wish I had my camera."

Then again, maybe I wouldn't bring it at all. Or I'd just bring a GoPro or something.

If it were me, I'd probably take my Nikon D5100 and 50mm f/1.8.

Lightweight, and good quality.

I hate it when I go places and then something happens and I'm like, "crap... wish I had my camera."

Then again, maybe I wouldn't bring it at all. Or I'd just bring a GoPro or something.

I completely forgot about the go pro! I think I'll take the Rebel with the 18-135 for the park. There are lockers you can put your stuff in as well that I can use if I need to take a break. And I did want to take the go Pro on a few of the rides.

Thank you to everyone for your input and advice. You all gave me a lot to think about. I really appreciate it.

ermmm cellphone?
Well a cell phone is a must. Disney has an interactive program that not only has maps of each park and will show your location relative to the attractions. It also has close to real time updates on the wait times for shows and rides. One absolutely must have a cell phone with them.

My wife and I were there last year, and about all I saw were Ipads and Cellphones. Only rarely did I see anyone even carrying a camera big or small. I did take mine back during the evening fireworks show over the castle, but the crowd was so thick, everyone jostling for position, that it was difficult to get anything decent. A tripod was out of the question.

If you go back there is a restaurant on the lake side of the walkway that is just to the left of the big opening to the lake. I believe it is a Mediterranean place. They had a nice 4-5 foot cinderblock wall that surrounds their entrance to the their walkin cooler. I asked politely if I could stand there an use the wall to set my camera on. They were more than happy to let me. Recorded the full fireworks show from a completely steady support.

Well a cell phone is a must. Disney has an interactive program that not only has maps of each park and will show your location relative to the attractions. It also has close to real time updates on the wait times for shows and rides. One absolutely must have a cell phone with them.
dayum! it's changed a lot since I was a kid. I was last at Disneyland in 1989.

Disneyland is pikers ville compared to Disneyworld, at least my wife tells me this. She is Disney Expert having been raise in Napa Valley CA and a Disney Freak. You ain't seen nothing till you see Disney World in Orlando. Especially Epcot Center.

Never ever play trivia with her if the subject is Disney Movies. We own EVERY DAMN ONE OF THEM! Some of them we even have different editions, if that gives you any idea of what I mean.

Well a cell phone is a must.
Having yours is half of it. Your husband having his will complete the picture. When you get separated (on purpose or accidentally) you need your phones to find each other again.

Disneyland is pikers ville compared to Disneyworld, at least my wife tells me this. She is Disney Expert having been raise in Napa Valley CA and a Disney Freak. You ain't seen nothing till you see Disney World in Orlando. Especially Epcot Center.

Never ever play trivia with her if the subject is Disney Movies. We own EVERY DAMN ONE OF THEM! Some of them we even have different editions, if that gives you any idea of what I mean.
Drove past Disneyworld Proper and spent all the time at the WaterParks.
Went to Cape Canaveral instead.
GF is a space geek (as evidenced from the SpaceShuttle Tattoo)

I grew up in a country often described as "Disneyland with the Death Penalty" so I really just wanted to enjoy the waterparks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back