What to take to Disney World

If you are staying on property (at one of the Disney resorts) you can get into the parks an hour early. Go early, go back to the resort the middle of the day and go back to the park late. It has been unusually hot down here, so the middle of the day is going to be brutal. It got up to the mid 90's over the weekend.

Oh, yes. Small children need a break. We would always plan on leaving the park at lunchtime, eat our picnic in the car park, and let the children take a nap. Then they will be ready to go back in and often be quite happy to stay late. We used to go to DL two or three times per year when we lived in SoCal.

We're heading to Disney World in 9 days. I am having the hardest time deciding what to take with me.

I have 2 camera bases to choose from. A Canon Rebel T4i and a Canon 5D (the classic).

I have a few lenses I can choose from or I still have time to rent a lens.

I have these lenses:

Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM (not compatible with the 5D)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8
Canon EF 70-200 f/4
Canon EF 17-40 f/4

I need to decide on a first choice for walking around the parks. I'll be taking photos of kids and characters inside and outside (we're doing a lot of meet and greets and character meals). I'll be taking scenery and hopefully shooting some shot while on rides (my kids are young and we won't be on any of the big rides). We're going to some shows but I don't care about taking pictures during the shows. We are not planning to be out at night much if at all because my kids are so young.

I've finally gotten comfortable with the 5D but it's certainly heavier than the rebel.

Suggestions? Out of the lenses I have what would you recommend? Or if you'd recommend renting a lens, which one would be your first choice?

Thanks!
I'd take an RX100 or other pocketable camera and pay attention to the family.

I'm sure your question is answered by now, but...

I had a Disneyland annual pass for a couple years (before I was priced out) The most enjoyable times I had was when I only had my X100t, or my M6 with one lens. I took a bigger camera and multiple lenses a couple times, but it was more of a hassle than it was worth, especially if you like riding the rides. The small camera can just loop over my chest when you're riding and it's good to go. Also, it's suuuuuuuper crowded and you will barely get a clean shot of anything anyway.

my disneyland album if you're interested.. the girl is my ex, but I never delete old photos..
Disneyland

Most reactions

Back