What to use for a wedding

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by kyen, Jun 8, 2009.

1. kyen

kyen TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My uncle and his fiancee have asked me to photograph their wedding in October! So I am doing my first "real" wedding and I am not sure what lens I need to make the photos extra special!

Right now I have the kit len for the Canon 50D (CANON EF-S 17-85M) CANON EF 55-200M F4.5-5.6II and CANON EF 75-300M F4-5.6II

Thank you for your help

2. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My first instinct, and don't take this the wrong way, but if you aren't sure about what lens you would need to photograph one of the hardest and most challenging events (varying light conditions, hard to work with people, group shots, churches, one shots without reshoots of many moments), then I'd think twice about doing the wedding.

If they have the money, hire a professional and allow you to shoot as well. If they are stuck financially (as many of us are these days) and don't have a budget for a pro, then there is alot more reading you will have to do other than the lenses you will need.

Just trying to make sure you are prepared, more than just technically and equipment wise, for the wedding.

If you are doing any indoor shots (ceremony, reception,...), then you will need a flash and you will need to know the best way to use the flash. The popup flash on your camera won't be doing much. Even if you are shooting outdoors, a flash is a great tool to fill in the harsher shadows.

Your current lenses should be ok for outdoor shooting.
    You will need something faster for indoors, something with a constant 2.8 aperture.

Lenses that are often used in weddings:
    70-200 f/2.8 IS
    24-70 f/2.8
    17-55 f/2.8 IS

Some people like a wide lens for group shots or more artistics shots. On a crop sensor camera, something like a 10-22 would work well. If you have room to work with, 17 might be ok.

There are a bunch of posts on this very topic posted pretty much each day on this forum. Do some searching to see some of the discussions that have already taken place.

3. atbawrps

atbawrps TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not the lens that makes the pictures extra special. It's pixie dust and a little abra cadabra.

4. CrimsonFoxPhotography

CrimsonFoxPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got the abra cadabra down, but where can I get the pixie dust???

5. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're gonna need faster glass for one thing, that f/4-5.6 range will hurt you. Not sure what the 17-85 is (hopefully 2.8 or better).

6. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're going to need better lenses, flashes (DO NOT use the built-in flash on your camera), diffusers, plenty of extra memory cards, color gels, much more knowledge....

I hope they are paying you well because you have a LOT of gear to purchase, and a lot of books to buy/read.

How they believe you to be a "photographer" could make/break you. If you have bragged to be a great photographer, and hand them shabby pictures, it will backfire on you. If they just assumed you are good, then they don't have much of an excuse if you hand them poor quality images. Either way, you are taking on a massive burden, and as previously posted, these threads come up every single day on this forum. Weddings are one of the most difficult things to shoot, so I hope you can swim because you are jumping straight into the deep end.

7. Josh220

Josh220 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's an f/4-5.6 also.

8. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In that case it looks like you'll be renting some lenses for the weekend unless you're willing and prepared to invest in some nice glass.

9. kyen

kyen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I should have mentioned that I have a flash, diffusers and several 4G memory cards. Plus I have been doing my "homework" by reading lots of different books on weddings, looking at other peoples wedding photos etc since they asked me to take their photos. But most important I have confidence in my skills and my uncle has even more confidence in me and what I can do.

Since I am not getting paid for this wedding my uncle said that he would buy a new lens (with in reason) for me. I was going to rent a few suggested lens now so I had a better idea of what ones to put on my "wish list" for the wedding.

10. dizzyg44

dizzyg44 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you really must do the shoot for them, I would HIGHLY suggest working with some local professional photographers if possible.

Not to shoot, but volunteer to just be their assistant. moving/transporting equipment, working lighting/reflectors/etc.....Pay lots of attention to everything they pay attention too....

11. JE Kay

JE Kay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You really should pass on this. Tell them you 'd be happy to shoot casual shots, the fun stuff, but not the 'real' wedding photos. Do them and yourself a favor, tell them to hire a professional.

12. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are to be the photographer and they are willing to buy you a lens, what is their budget? If its an open budget, then I'd get the 70-200 f/2.8 IS. Its pricey, but it is a great lens.

If the budget is less, look at the f/2.8 third party lenses like Tamron and Sigma. Tamron 28-75 is well rated, as are others. They are a bit cheaper, but they often don't focus as fast. But when doing portraits, thats not a huge deal.

If they know your work and have correct expectations, and you are confident in your skill, then go for it. The main thing, look for f/2.8 lenses, maybe rent some as it would be cheaper.