What tripod do you use and what cost was it?

jon_k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
North Richland Hills (Ft. Worth suburb) TX
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I started off with a cheap $27 dollar tripod from Walmart. The head started getting wobbly and when I tugged on it... it popped right out. Was secured by glue!

My second and current tripod is one I got from a camera shop for about $72 bucks. It wasn't really designed for an SLR camera, but it gets the job done and is extremely light.

I'm curious what type of tripods you guys use and if you have any suggestions for a new one.

I'm looking for something sturdy, ball or normal type head is OK (or if one has a screw on thing for exchangeable heads, thats even better). I'd like one with a /good/ level, as thats pretty important for panoramas.

I've found some nice tripods at the camera store but once I got to the counter found out it was $270 or so! That's pricey for some legs and a mount in my opinion. Is it possible to find a quality tripod for a good price? Or did you foot the bill to get a quality tripod?

i use a slik pro 700 dx. its heavy, and very stable. will support a 4x5 view camera.

i would recommend using a ball head on it though, not what it came with.

it cost like $170 i think

look on bhphotovideo.com

check out slik, and bogen/manfrotto producgts

Current one doesn't support D200 without battery grip let alone D200 with battery flash and macro lens. Saving for a Manfrotto now :)

Manfrotto legs and 3 way head ~265 USD
Also use Manfrotto elbow bracket for portrait orientation shots - ~65 USD

For smaller stuff, I have a couple of Bogen 3221s with 3030 heads... one chrome and one black. I've had these for quite a while, and it seems the model numbers have changed. This is the closest I can find that compares, although neither of mine ever came with leg warmers.

Pete

I considered investing in a Bogen-Manfrotto setup, but since I rarely use a tripod for my type of work, I purchased a Dynatran from Amvona on Ebay. It's essentially a knock off of one of the more popular Bogen-Manfrotto setups at a fraction of the cost.

Bogen/Manfrotto 728B, lightweight (4lbs), portable, durable, and steady. 3 way head not detachable (at least I don't think so). No level but then again a spirit level only costs a few bucks. Supports up to 11 pounds, overkill for me, my whole setup is maybe around 2 pounds. I'm 5'11" and fully extended it's above my eye level. Will not flop or wobble, all threads and screws are metal. $118.85

http://www.pictureline.com/products/326/Manfrotto_728B_Digi_Tripod/

I have a GITZO 2941LVL set of legs £379
as for heads

a Manfrotto 405 geared head I got of ebay for £140
a Manfrotto 410 geared head that is now broke which I got for £60
a Manfrotto 490rc4 ball and socket £120
and a Wimberley II gimble head from ebay for £300

I need a cheaper hobby

I have a Manfrotto 190XProB tripod with a Manfrotto 486RC2 quick release ballhead. $210 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480322-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__190XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

iv got that same pod, different head though,cant remember the model number of the head though.

Highly reccommend the pod, just hte right wieght for me personally, its "heavy" enough to be sturdy (and the legs can be extended furthur than normal with ratchet style legs) for extra stability (trade off for height when using this method)

but its still light enough to carry it round all day :)

Bogen 3021BPRO with 488 rc2 head $275 - Bogen 3046 with 3063 rc0 head almost $500 - Slik U212 x 2- $110 each- The Sliks are panheads

Most reactions

Back