What Tripod do you use?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by purpleorbes, Feb 8, 2017.

1. purpleorbes

purpleorbes TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello,
    What Tripod do you use and how does it stack up to others you've had or tried?
    I'm looking for a decent but cheap tripod. I understand you get what you pay for but don't want to go broke over a tripod (especially since i still need glass).

I am considering this Amazon.com : Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head : Camera & Photo
    but if anyone knows of a cheaper priced tripod that works great let me know.

2. Msteelio91

Msteelio91 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    "Combo" tripods like that never work out, the ball is never tight enough or is sometimes not actually a true ball head at all. You're better off getting a separate tripod and ball. That said, I grabbed this Manfrotto for general use and have been very happy with it for the price.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. FotosbyMike

FotosbyMike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agree with above, also cheaper tripods have very small legs and as they get tall the worst they get so having the tallest is not always the best.

It depends on what you really want the tripod for, video, stills, low angle...etc.
    What camera/lens combo are you wanting the mount on the tripod... AKA weight.
    Budget? Cheap is to vague - I wouldn't buy a tripod for less what $100

I cant remember the exact model but I like Manfrotto:
    Legs
    One of the below:
    Ball Head
    3 - Way Head

4. photo1x1.com

photo1x1.com TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have several tripods from Manfrotto and I´m pretty happy with them. The thing with tripods is: the bigger and heavier the better, but you also want something portable, so it will always be a compromise.
    Most of the time I use my smallest tripod for travelling and the biggest for everything else.
    The head depends on what you´d mainly shoot. A ballhead is a nice all around head, but if you are shooting something specific there may be better options.
    In regard to the legs, you have to decide whether you want legs with rotating fixation, or with clamps. I prefer the clamps, however they are somtimes pretty loud, so the rotating ones have their advantage.
    You should also think about whether or not you want a middle column that can be mounted horizontal which is very convenient in many situations when you shoot upside down, but it costs some money and usually adds some weight.

5. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 (Carbon Fiber) with Manfrotto 054-Q2 head
    Manfrotto 190XB (Aluminum) with Manfrotto 410 geared head

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    My mid-range tripod is a Velbon. Sturdy but not expensive. I also have a set of heavy legs that are very sturdy and strong. I also have one lightweight inexpensive tripod that is small enough to fit into my gadget bag.

Don't overthink this. Just get a mid-range tripod that fits your budget, and don't look back. It's not an "end of the world" kind of decision.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    For studio work I have a Manfrotto 3258 (aluminum). For general carrying around I use a Manfrotto 055B (aluminum). When I use big glass the tripod I use is a Gitzo GT4542LS (carbon). It is as light as the other two but far stronger.

Don't equate weight with stability. It comes down to materials and build quality. The sturdiest tripods are actually tight grained Ash wood tripods. They are heavy and a bit unwieldy but great when you need vibration dampening. Carbon fiber and boron fiber run a close second and are generally expensive followed by Aluminum. You choice needs to be a compromise of materials and use. A good tripod needs to be able to support at least twice the weight of you heaviest gear combination, 3 time is better.

As mentioned, buying legs and head separate will usually get you a better setup. Most heads included with tripods are proprietary in the mounting plate they use which can be limiting. If you are really serious about photography you can get a good general use setup for around $300.00. Taken care of it will last you a lifetime.

8. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've seen those Dolicas in local stores, and they actually seem not too bad for the money. I wouldn't trust them to heavy loads or in extreme conditions, but they seem okay; Velbon sort of quality. The one thing you want to make sure of before you buy is the availability of additional QR plates, because no photographer has ever lost his only QR plate and rendered his tripod useless...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bobandcar

bobandcar No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Dolica AX600B250 60-Inch Aluminum Alloy Proline Traveler Edition Tripod with High Performance Ball Head (Black) Amazon.com : Dolica AX600B250 60-Inch Aluminum Alloy Proline Traveler Edition Tripod with High Performance Ball Head (Black) : Camera & Photo

I use the tall one. I'm 6'4" and I don't extend the center column at all.
    I've had my 80d with 100-400 on it.
    Defiantly some wiggle but I've never felt uneasy about putting my camera in it

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

11. bobandcar

bobandcar No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Destin

Destin No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have this, and absolutely love it for the price. I have ZERO complaints.

Click here to see it at BH

Well.. except that black rapid doesn't make a dongle for the QR plate, but that isn't vanguard's fault.

In the past few years numerous publications and online people have named this as the best available tripod under $250, and after using mine for almost a year, I would have to agree.

• Like Like x 1