What Tripod do you use?

purpleorbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
What Tripod do you use and how does it stack up to others you've had or tried?
I'm looking for a decent but cheap tripod. I understand you get what you pay for but don't want to go broke over a tripod (especially since i still need glass).

I am considering this Amazon.com : Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head : Camera & Photo
but if anyone knows of a cheaper priced tripod that works great let me know.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am considering this Amazon.com : Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head : Camera & Photo

"Combo" tripods like that never work out, the ball is never tight enough or is sometimes not actually a true ball head at all. You're better off getting a separate tripod and ball. That said, I grabbed this Manfrotto for general use and have been very happy with it for the price.

Agree with above, also cheaper tripods have very small legs and as they get tall the worst they get so having the tallest is not always the best.

It depends on what you really want the tripod for, video, stills, low angle...etc.
What camera/lens combo are you wanting the mount on the tripod... AKA weight.
Budget? Cheap is to vague - I wouldn't buy a tripod for less what $100

I cant remember the exact model but I like Manfrotto:
Legs
One of the below:
Ball Head
3 - Way Head

I have several tripods from Manfrotto and I´m pretty happy with them. The thing with tripods is: the bigger and heavier the better, but you also want something portable, so it will always be a compromise.
Most of the time I use my smallest tripod for travelling and the biggest for everything else.
The head depends on what you´d mainly shoot. A ballhead is a nice all around head, but if you are shooting something specific there may be better options.
In regard to the legs, you have to decide whether you want legs with rotating fixation, or with clamps. I prefer the clamps, however they are somtimes pretty loud, so the rotating ones have their advantage.
You should also think about whether or not you want a middle column that can be mounted horizontal which is very convenient in many situations when you shoot upside down, but it costs some money and usually adds some weight.

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 (Carbon Fiber) with Manfrotto 054-Q2 head
Manfrotto 190XB (Aluminum) with Manfrotto 410 geared head

I'm looking for a decent but cheap tripod.
My mid-range tripod is a Velbon. Sturdy but not expensive. I also have a set of heavy legs that are very sturdy and strong. I also have one lightweight inexpensive tripod that is small enough to fit into my gadget bag.

Don't overthink this. Just get a mid-range tripod that fits your budget, and don't look back. It's not an "end of the world" kind of decision.

For studio work I have a Manfrotto 3258 (aluminum). For general carrying around I use a Manfrotto 055B (aluminum). When I use big glass the tripod I use is a Gitzo GT4542LS (carbon). It is as light as the other two but far stronger.

Don't equate weight with stability. It comes down to materials and build quality. The sturdiest tripods are actually tight grained Ash wood tripods. They are heavy and a bit unwieldy but great when you need vibration dampening. Carbon fiber and boron fiber run a close second and are generally expensive followed by Aluminum. You choice needs to be a compromise of materials and use. A good tripod needs to be able to support at least twice the weight of you heaviest gear combination, 3 time is better.

As mentioned, buying legs and head separate will usually get you a better setup. Most heads included with tripods are proprietary in the mounting plate they use which can be limiting. If you are really serious about photography you can get a good general use setup for around $300.00. Taken care of it will last you a lifetime.

Hello,
What Tripod do you use and how does it stack up to others you've had or tried?
I'm looking for a decent but cheap tripod. I understand you get what you pay for but don't want to go broke over a tripod (especially since i still need glass).

I've seen those Dolicas in local stores, and they actually seem not too bad for the money. I wouldn't trust them to heavy loads or in extreme conditions, but they seem okay; Velbon sort of quality. The one thing you want to make sure of before you buy is the availability of additional QR plates, because no photographer has ever lost his only QR plate and rendered his tripod useless...

Dolica AX600B250 60-Inch Aluminum Alloy Proline Traveler Edition Tripod with High Performance Ball Head (Black) Amazon.com : Dolica AX600B250 60-Inch Aluminum Alloy Proline Traveler Edition Tripod with High Performance Ball Head (Black) : Camera & Photo

I use the tall one. I'm 6'4" and I don't extend the center column at all.
I've had my 80d with 100-400 on it.
Defiantly some wiggle but I've never felt uneasy about putting my camera in it

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

It loaded the wrong one
IMG_4313.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I have this, and absolutely love it for the price. I have ZERO complaints.

Click here to see it at BH

Well.. except that black rapid doesn't make a dongle for the QR plate, but that isn't vanguard's fault.

In the past few years numerous publications and online people have named this as the best available tripod under $250, and after using mine for almost a year, I would have to agree.

These days I only have 3 tripods.
A Smith Victor carbon fiber, 4 leg sections, with an Oben ball head on the legs.
An old aluminum Velbon VGB-3with 3 leg sections and a 3-way pan/tilt head I dusted off and refurbished to be my take on the train for video tripod.
And an el cheapo 3 leg sectionWalmart tripod/3- way head combo I sometimes use to hold a speedlight.

Last edited:
I demo'd my Manfrotto 3051 legs today to a bird photographer...he was agog at the speed of the trigger-lock system, and how the tripod can go from ground level to maximum height in under 3 seconds, or how one, or two legs can be adjusted to get to level in under 2 seconds. This tripod is old; newer versions of it might have a differernt model number. This is an "automatic" tripod, and is very unusual, and perfect for portraiture use where camera height changes are common, and highly desirable. Karl Taylor on YouTube demo's this type of tripod in one of his videos. I have never seen another tripod that offers this speed and ease of height adjustment, leveling, or leg-locking.

My other tripod is a Flashpont carbon fiber with a Gitzo magnesium ballhead on it. No longer made...think good but not expensive, MIC, CF tripod. I saw by the receipt I bought it on close-out from Adorama on October 15, 2012, for $99.

View camera tripod is an old Bogen 3040. I use camera clamps probably more than tripods.

Most reactions

Back