What Tripod do you use?

You'll sometimes hear (correctly) to buy a tripod for the long run. I have several and it would be easy to argue that if I bought the "right" tripod that I wouldn't need that many.

When I bought my main tripod (over 25 years ago), I wasn't totally clear on that point, but not too far off. I bought a Bogen 3021, which is heavy and bulky. To this day, it has outlasted multiple camera bodies, every flash unit that I've owned and all lenses that I use. (I got a separate 3047 head.) The quick release plate is proprietary but not totally unique. When I'm looking for super-steady and don't mind the weight, this is the one I go to.

My second tripod is one that I use a whole lot more than I ever expected because of how easy it is to articulate in all kinds of directions, including a geared extension within the center column. It's a Velbon 443. It has an included combo head and actually holds pretty well in most conditions. But it has a proprietary QR plate that doesn't match anything else out there. I actually use this one more often than the Bogen, so this is really my main tripod.

Another one is cheap by any measure, but super lightweight and great for casual work. It's by Sunpak with (again) a proprietary head. But it's carbon and weighs almost nothing and I don't mind that on longer hikes. I think the model number is 423. The QR plate doesn't match anything else.

I have a Vanguard Alta carbon something-or-other which I like a lot *except* for the mounting plate. It's yet another combo head and proprietary plate, but this one requires a tool to mount (or remove) the plate. I really like the features and quality of this one, but because of the plate this is my least favorite tripod.

My point is that I've not had any bad experience with combo heads (just stay within the limits) and not too many bad experiences with proprietary plates. Yeah, a minor inconvenience at times, and really just that it delays me in some circumstances. Although I generally don't leave QR plates mounted on my bodies much longer than actually using them.

I know that I "should" have a head that uses something like an Arca Swiss plate but I keep having good luck with what I have.

You'll sometimes hear (correctly) to buy a tripod for the long run. I have several and it would be easy to argue that if I bought the "right" tripod that I wouldn't need that many.

When I bought my main tripod (over 25 years ago), I wasn't totally clear on that point, but not too far off. I bought a Bogen 3021, which is heavy and bulky. To this day, it has outlasted multiple camera bodies, every flash unit that I've owned and all lenses that I use. (I got a separate 3047 head.) The quick release plate is proprietary but not totally unique. When I'm looking for super-steady and don't mind the weight, this is the one I go to.

My second tripod is one that I use a whole lot more than I ever expected because of how easy it is to articulate in all kinds of directions, including a geared extension within the center column. It's a Velbon 443. It has an included combo head and actually holds pretty well in most conditions. But it has a proprietary QR plate that doesn't match anything else out there. I actually use this one more often than the Bogen, so this is really my main tripod.

Another one is cheap by any measure, but super lightweight and great for casual work. It's by Sunpak with (again) a proprietary head. But it's carbon and weighs almost nothing and I don't mind that on longer hikes. I think the model number is 423. The QR plate doesn't match anything else.

I have a Vanguard Alta carbon something-or-other which I like a lot *except* for the mounting plate. It's yet another combo head and proprietary plate, but this one requires a tool to mount (or remove) the plate. I really like the features and quality of this one, but because of the plate this is my least favorite tripod.

My point is that I've not had any bad experience with combo heads (just stay within the limits) and not too many bad experiences with proprietary plates. Yeah, a minor inconvenience at times, and really just that it delays me in some circumstances. Although I generally don't leave QR plates mounted on my bodies much longer than actually using them.

I know that I "should" have a head that uses something like an Arca Swiss plate but I keep having good luck with what I have.

Are you sure the vanguard head is a combo head?

I thought that the head on my vanguard was a combo head, until I (stupidly) remembered that I never checked for set screws on the bottom of the head. Discovered 6 months into owning it that the head is actually removable.

"Decent but cheap" is a bit of an oxymoron in tripods. To my way of thinking... you shouldn't have to handle a tripod with "white gloves". The tripod should be able to take a bit of a beating without worrying too much about it. And therein lies the problem with "decent but cheap".

There are many "cheap" tripods, but I've noticed that they come up lacking in the sturdiness department.

I have a friend who bought a Slik tripod... I think it was all of $70-80. It fell over (an accident) and broke. So he bought another one. During some photography, his young nephew was running, kicked a leg, it fell over and broke again. So he bought ANOTHER one... and well... if you add up all the re-purchases you can see where this is going. Because... had he bought ONE GOOD TRIPOD he could have kicked it or knocked it over several times by now and it would still be fine.

So there are companies like Gitzo and Really Right Stuff and if you've got the funds, they sure are nice. But Gitzo is the high-end brand of Manfrotto. Manfrotto makes a lot of tripod models (they're probably the most well-known name.)

Just to set expectations... if you're spending north of $250 ... you're probably getting a decent entry level tripod. If you're spending less... you'll probably end up replacing the tripod (possibly more than once.)

Higher end tripods typically are sold as just the tripod leg and shoulder assembly... but no head. You separately purchase whatever type of head you prefer (for most still photography that will usually be a ball-head design.)

Manfrotto makes quite a few model series... but of all of these, the two most popular are the "190" series and the "055" series. The 190 is a smaller slimmer aluminum series (you can get them in 3-section or 4-section leg versions, you can get them in twist-lock legs or lever lock legs. You used to be able to get them in either aluminum or carbon fiber but I don't see them offered in Carbon Fiber anymore (unless I'm missing something). Anyway that's why they refer to it as a "series".). The 055 series are a bit larger and a bit sturdier (they handle more weight but they're heavier). The 190 isn't the lowest end and the 055 isn't the highest end... but these two are the most popular.

The base price on a 190 series tripod is around $150 -- but that price doesn't include a head, and you need a head. The head could run another $100.

There are some smaller and lighter "travel" series tripods that are less money. They wont be as solid. As the price tag gets cheaper they certainly wont be as durable.

I mentioning all of this to help you set a baseline expectation of what you should get for your money. You can easily spend $1000 on a quality tripod (actually you can easily spend $1500). If you do spend that kind of money, you're going to get a "solid" piece of gear that will last a lifetime.

You can spend less than $250... but just keep in mind that you may be sacrificing some durability (don't abuse it) and it may not be solid (you may need to use a delay timer or remote trigger to take the shots if you are doing long exposures that can't tolerate vibration and you may need to weight the tripod and protect it from wind, etc.) Basically... you get what you pay for.

I have 2.
a Manfrotto 055Pro with a ball head
an old Manfrotto 190 with a 3way pan..
oh crap..I have a 3rd one.
an old Gitzo 1541T

What is the main difference between the 3 way pan head and ball head? I know the physical difference but since I've never had a tripod, I don't know how one performs over the other. It's seems to me that everyone tends to like the Ball Heads and they are definitely more expensive but does expensive equate to better in this instance or are there pan heads that are just as good as ball heads?
There is a really right stuff tripod on ebay used and it's up to $1200 and something and while im sure its a good tripod I could not justify spending that amount (unless I happen to stumble across a LARGE amount of money) but I also wonder how that stacks up to lets say a $300 tripod. Are you mainly paying for a "brand name"?
Also, Are carbon fiber tripods more sturdy than the magnesium tripods or are they just lighter?
Thanks for all the reply's everyone. It has given me a lot to look up and consider. You all seem to have crazy nice tripods.

What is the main difference between the 3 way pan head and ball head? I know the physical difference but since I've never had a tripod, I don't know how one performs over the other. It's seems to me that everyone tends to like the Ball Heads and they are definitely more expensive but does expensive equate to better in this instance or are there pan heads that are just as good as ball heads?
There is a really right stuff tripod on ebay used and it's up to $1200 and something and while im sure its a good tripod I could not justify spending that amount (unless I happen to stumble across a LARGE amount of money) but I also wonder how that stacks up to lets say a $300 tripod. Are you mainly paying for a "brand name"?
Also, Are carbon fiber tripods more sturdy than the magnesium tripods or are they just lighter?
Thanks for all the reply's everyone. It has given me a lot to look up and consider. You all seem to have crazy nice tripods.
There have been many people that have said they can't justify spending the kind of money a RRS or Gitzo tripod, only to spend that and more when theirs failed dropping their body and lens to the ground. It sucks buying a new body, lens and tripod.

Is the RRS that good? Not just yes, but #&!! yes. I don't own their legs but I do own the BH55 head. It costs as much as what some people spend on a tripod and head. But I can put an 11 1/2 pound 400 f2.8 on with a 2 1/2 pound body attached, lock it in and not get 1mm of creep in the head. Most consumer grade ball heads will creep with a fraction of that weight on them. It as does all my gear, uses arca swiss QR plates. They are the most versitile, safest plates on the market.

FYI if anyone is interested in a BH55 KEH has a used one at an exceptional price. That is what I paid for mine new years ago.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. If I had enough to afford it I probably would get it but as it is now I'm struggling to get a $50-$100 tripod. If I was a professional photographer I would try to have the best equipment but as it is now I have a D5300 and one lens and no tripod lol. I didn't even know tripods got that expensive until I seen it on eBay yesterday and then wondered if that's going for $1200 used on ebay then how much is a new one? I looked it up new it is $1600 and the head it came with was another $400.

purpleorbes said:
Don't get me wrong. If I had enough to afford it I probably would get it but as it is now I'm struggling to get a $50-$100 tripod. If I was a professional photographer I would try to have the best equipment but as it is now I have a D5300 and one lens and no tripod lol. I didn't even know tripods got that expensive until I seen it on eBay yesterday and then wondered if that's going for $1200 used on ebay then how much is a new one? I looked it up new it is $1600 and the head it came with was another $400.

Tripods VARY in what they can do well, and what they can NOT do well! The issues are several, beginning with, "What is the intended use for the tripod?" followed by, "How sturdy does it need to be?", and "How heavy can it be?", and "How much money can be spent on it?", and "How perfect does it need to be, for my uses?"

The smaller, lighter, cheaper Sliks and Velbons and Manfrotto 'pods designed to be carried collapsed, and set up and a few images snapped off...those tripods will likely have head creep with heavier lenses; be prone to vibration from wind or vehicles or hand-releasing of the shutter; these trypes of tripods usually demand a self-timer release of the camera, or a wireless remote releasing of the shutter, and often will MOVE in-between shots in focus stacks, etc. Buuuuuuut...for single-frame shots, done with the self timer or a remote release, or when used just to support the camera and slow down the photographer for better framing--there is nothing at all wrong with a $49 cheap tripod! Are these more hassle than a medium-weight Manfrotto with a $500 head? YES! But then again...they can do "some tripod things" pretty well.

I've owned some old, rickety, junky tripods, made in the 1940's, 50's, and 60's. I have had some truly ATROCIOUS tripods...but if used properly (self-timer, cable release, remote shutter release), maybe even mirror-up or mirror pre-release, even a crappy tripod CAN make some tripod-type shots, like say 2-second shots at twilight. You might not get every,single frame in good stability, but it will be better than no tripod.

Not every tripod needs to be able to support an 11-pound 400/2.8 lens, and to offer no head creep after tightening; head creep/wobble is probably THE biggest PITA with cheap setups, but one can live with it, and suffer through using low-level support gear. It is a big hassle to have to frame up "high" and then let the head "sag"...but one can adapt. But then again, there are times when the tripod's main function is to hold the camera for a handful of quick shots at like 1/4 second, or to just "hold the camera up" or "hold it low to the ground", and in those situations, any tripod is better than none.

I use manfrotto tripods, heads, and monopod. Heavy, but very stable and supports a lot of weight.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Manfrotto 3-Section Aluminum Tripod Kit with Ball Head and Quick 90° Lateral Column, 190XPRO Series Manfrotto 3-Section Aluminum Tripod Kit with Ball Head and Quick 90° Lateral Column, 190XPRO Series: Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo

339$ canadian

Its been mentioned a bunch I think.

If you dont have a real need for a tripod dont bother getting one at all yet. Buy glass first!

I like my tripod but have barely any use for it, my style lends to mobility and a tripod doesnt add that much to my kit.

Attaching the camera to pod and then putting the tripod over your shoulder to walk around is super cool; Im just getting over that terrified feeling of having the camera out of my hands! Haha really scary stuff!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you sure the vanguard head is a combo head?
Yeah, you're totally right. It's removable. It's probably more accurate to described it as "bundled". It's more obvious that the legs and head are separate things with other brands. And on that point, the ball head that came with the Vanguard was pretty decent.

What is the main difference between the 3 way pan head and ball head?
There's a lot of personal preference in this. Some people will say "(this or that) is absolutely the better option". I think it's more like, "for my style of photography, I like (this or that) better because I do (this or that)."

Whenever I'm setting up on uneven ground (could be outdoors, or even indoors but I have to deal with a step or other obstacle), I prefer the ball head. Or stated another way, if the legs are set to different lengths or spread unevenly, I'm probably going to prefer a ball head. For me it's faster to set up that shot.

But that's until I need to do any video work, or setting up a panoramic shot. For how *I* do things, I'll get the tripod and head leveled in those cases, and then pivot on the "yaw" axis by loosening that control only, leaving the others tightened. There are "better" ball heads that allow for precise adjustments on the yaw axis (only), keeping the others constant. Many lower-end ball heads don't hold things on an even plane for video or pano shots.

I also prefer a 3-way when setting up a macro shot. A head that I *don't* have but would probably want for macro is the Manfrotto JR 410 which has geared adjustment knobs for each of the 3 axes.

Ball heads are fast. 3-ways better support working with one axis at a time.

I agree. I absolutely hate ball heads, and strongly prefer gear heads - which are kind of the polar opposite in every way. But certainly a lot of people prefer the flexibility and intuitiveness of a ball head. I just personally don't.

Here's the smallest,lightest, thinnest tripod I have ever owned...I am giving it and the camera away to a former TPF member this week, just snapped these pics with my el-cheapo Android phone. YES--it is a genuine, offically offered Canon tripod. And it supports this magnificent CoolPix 4100. One use I have found for this foldable mini-tripiod is as a speedlight holder for remote triggering of a hidden light! Thread on a cold shoe and slap a trigger on the flash, and BOOM! ot with speedlights that have the built-in slave, no need for a trigger! Instant way to prop up a flash so it will tend to not fall over! This came out wayyyy before the camera makers started offering those "flash stand" dealios.

Attachments

• IMG_20170209_164401.jpg
    IMG_20170209_164401.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20170209_164450.jpg
    IMG_20170209_164450.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 142

Most reactions

Back