what tripod to get?

bonosa1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up one from best buy -- it supports 11 lb (I have the d90 + 18-200mm lens so not that heavy...)
It's not very user friendly. The camera is hard to secure on it. I may return it.
Any recommendations?
thanks.

There are plenty of good options. What is your budget and what will you mainly be using it for?

For example, if you are going to be hiking a lot, you might want a lighter tripod. If you don't plan on traveling with it, you might want to get something heavy (more stable).

You can't go wrong with Bogen/Manfrotto.

Have a look at this tripod/head combo Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 190XPROB Tripod | 190XPROB,804RC2

I had a Manfrotto but sold it and got a Slik that I absolutely LOVE.

Pro 700 DX
SLIK PRO 700 DX

I use a Manfrotto 488 Midi Ball head on it, holds my D90 with grip and 18-200/18-250 lenses without worry. Will be trying it with my D90 and 80-200 f/2.8 tonight if the skies are clear.

Well I can say this. I got 1 from BEst by as well and it looked nice. Thick legs, smoth motion, quick release. I don't think it is heavy enough for grass and softer surfices. Also the quick release seems to be loose now and the camera is loose on the pod. So I think it is deemed useless now. I don't know the name but it was about 50 bucks. I don't recomend it. I would go wit " u get what u pay for ".

Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod and 486RC2 Ballhead. Both can be had for 173 bucks at Amazon, or you can perhaps buy it seperately from other sources for less. But if you want a Tripod with some "power" to it. . .that is the one you need to get. I love mine.

There are many good head manufactuers that can make your questionable tripod a top performer........some provide a plate that attaches "permanently" to your camera and locks securely into the tripod head plate.

Wimberly is one such maker you could look into

I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 488RC2 ball head. Pretty similar to the setup ANDS! noted above. The XPROB line has a unique method of making converting the vertical post to a horizontal position.

Cost wise, it will be closer to $275-$300 for both legs and head. Not sure if you're supposed to talk specifics on this site, but a major online retailer has this model on special for $160 w/free shipping now.

The XPROB model is also available in the 190 model line. It is very similar to the 055 line, but smaller/lighter.

I just got a Manffrotto 190XPROB and the Manfrotto 322RC2 head, ITS AN AMAZING COMBINATION!!!! i would recommend it 100%. if you can get the same combo its great

Manfrotto 190XPROB legs:
load capacity: 11 lbs (5kg).
w/o column extended: 46.6" (118.4mm)
minimum height: 3.1" (7.9mm)
weight: 4lbs (1.8kg)

Manfrotto O55XPROB legs:
load capacity: 15.4lbs (7kg)
w/o column extended: 54.1" (137.5mm)
minimum height: 2.8" (7.0mm)
weight: 5lbs (2.3kg)

I've got the 055x legs and I stand ~5'-10". I don't care to bend over for extended periods of time. Great legs.

I also have the 488RC4 & 322RC2 heads. The 488 is a good head, but make sure you get the RC2 QR plate. I got the 322 when I had shoulder surgery and it worked like a charm for one handed operation. It stays mounted on the legs.

Last edited:
I had the 322RC2 head and sold it to get the 488RC2. The 322 is definitely more flexible and easier to adjust. But the 488 is more precise to adjust (particularly horizontally).

I'm a real fan of Giottos tripods. I feel they have slightly better quailty and performance than Manfrotto.

I do have to say another brand I am watching closely is Benro.

I got a Manfrotto 725B, includes a ball head. Very cheap and many classes over anything you will find at bestbuy. I am very happy with it - not professional grade by any means, but it was affordable and does the job amazingly well for me.

I was going to bring this topic up. I have a cheapo tripod, and let me explain my biggest problem. When I move the camera to focus on a specific subject, then I tighten or fasten it in place, when I let go the camera moves dramatically. Thus it's so hard to get it to stay where I want.

I am curious to know if this problem is even existent in higher end tripods.

I was going to bring this topic up. I have a cheapo tripod, and let me explain my biggest problem. When I move the camera to focus on a specific subject, then I tighten or fasten it in place, when I let go the camera moves dramatically. Thus it's so hard to get it to stay where I want.

I am curious to know if this problem is even existent in higher end tripods.

No

Most reactions

Back