What Tripod? Yes I searched. Need Some More Help

TAG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok well I think I have the brand sorted out. I asked around and searches and I'm looking at a Manfrotto/Bogen tripod. I'm not certain that I need a CF tripod, I don't mind a little extra weight, but if they are going to be more durable then perhaps I should look into it. I will be taking these items on planes quite often.

I was told to get the 55pro but I thought I would ask around here first. I also need to pick out a head for thsi new tripod. I don't mind paying for a good tripod but I don't want to pay a lot to get a tripod that I don't really need. I'm going to get into night photography, mostly the northern lights and it can be a little breezy up here so I need something stable, and that will stand up to extreme cold.

I'm far from a professional photgrapher, but I am looking to become an avid enthusiast.

This is the gear I presently have on order to me.
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi / 450D 5.1 x 3.8 x 2.4” (128.8 x 97.5 x 61.9mm) 16.8oz (475g)
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens 7oz (200g) 2.7 x 2.7” (68 x 70mm) 58mm Filter
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens 13.8 oz (390g) 2.8 x 3.4” (70 x 108.00mm) 58mm Filter
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens 21.1oz (600g) 3.1 x 4.7” (79.0 x 119.0mm) 58mm Filter

It's not overly heavy or big gear so I think most tripods will do. Any suggestions from this list on the link below would be much appreciated.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/5138/Tripods_Bogen_Manfrotto_Tripod_Systems.html

or if there is a better place to buy them I would be much appreciated if you could point me in the right direction.

I searched but really didn't find a lot of information on tripod selection suprisingly enough.

Thanks for the help

-TAG

Last edited:
This is a good all around choice.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/505863-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

If you need lighter than go with a set of the 055MF (mag fiber) legs and get the 488RC2 head.

Personally if it was me in that kind of cold I would go for either mag fiber legs or wooden legs if weight was not an issue. Berlebach makes outstanding legs and hard wood legs are the best for vibration dampening.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=&at=Brand_Berlebach&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

Of course I can not see anyone outgrowing these Gitzo legs.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548442-REG/Gitzo_GT5561SGT_GT_5561SGT_Giant_Systematic_6X.html
:lol:

Last edited:
ball heads are good for tracking moving targets - where one wants the tripod more to hold the weight of the lens, whilst not hindering movement. Wildlife and sports are good uses for ball heads
3Way heads are better for landscapes, skyscapes, portrates - basically shots where you don't have to track a moving target - where you have a moment to setup and where things such as a perfect horizontal horizon are important

ball heads are good for tracking moving targets - where one wants the tripod more to hold the weight of the lens, whilst not hindering movement. Wildlife and sports are good uses for ball heads
3Way heads are better for landscapes, skyscapes, portrates - basically shots where you don't have to track a moving target - where you have a moment to setup and where things such as a perfect horizontal horizon are important

perfect. looks like I'm looking for 3d head. thanks for the advice.

-TAG

I have the 055mf3. Its a three section, rather than the four section you mention. Its a great tripod and sturdy. Carbon Fiber looks killer. One thing to think about is that the 4 section will be less solid than the 3 section. (legs get smaller with each section). My camera mounted on the 3 section fully extended is plenty high. In fact, with the head I use, the center section has to be all the way down. Just something to consider.

Derrick

I have the 055mf3. Its a three section, rather than the four section you mention. Its a great tripod and sturdy. Carbon Fiber looks killer. One thing to think about is that the 4 section will be less solid than the 3 section. (legs get smaller with each section). My camera mounted on the 3 section fully extended is plenty high. In fact, with the head I use, the center section has to be all the way down. Just something to consider.

Derrick

Another thing to consider is how far it collapses. As much as I love my 3 section Bogen 3021, it doesn't collapse short enough to fit in an airline carry-on so it must be checked. If you plan on alot of air travel, you might be happier with a 4 section that collapses more.

That is a good point as well. Forgot about that. (I don't get to fly much) LOL.

Derrick

that's actually why I chose it. I work at an airport part time and get free flights. She'll see her fair share of time in an airplane.

Thanks again

-TAG

that's actually why I chose it. I work at an airport part time and get free flights. She'll see her fair share of time in an airplane.

Thanks again

-TAG

In that case, you'll love that tripod. The features are amzing and I believe the accessories for the aluminum version fit as well. (cencter column sections, feet, etc.)

Derrick

Thanks again

-TAG

I'd also avoid the spike feet. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm afraid security might consider it a weapon and make you check it if it has the spikes.

I have the Bogen / Manfrotto 055X PRO (BLACK) TRIPOD w/808RC4 HEAD. That's got the pan and tilt head... I do a lot of real estate stuff and whatnot, so that works good for me. I'm very happy with it.

I've used a carbon fiber leg set before and it wasn't THAT much lighter. I was pretty surprised.

Do a search from member usayit. He has a good choice for your needs, light, sturdy and small. Can't remember the brand, maybe Gitzo, and I think the model is called the Traveller. Something like that anyway. From what I do remember, it ain't cheap.

I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and 488RC4 & 322RC2 heads. The combo (with 488RC4) wasn't too much of a struggle when I went for a weeks camping in search of waterfalls last year. If memory serves me right, the Manfrotto MF legs are only a 1/2 lb lighter. Mind you, after 6, 8 or 10 hours on the trail, a 1/2 lb can make a difference.

Ehhh... I'd debate that. I find a ball head much more versatile for all applications, and especially for landscape and outdoor work. Nothing like being able to level a horizon using only one control vice two. My recommendation would be for a ball head if you're only going to get one; something like the Manfrotto 488 is a good choice.

Most reactions

Back