What Tripod? Yes I searched. Need Some More Help

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TAG, Sep 7, 2008.

1. TAG

TAG TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok well I think I have the brand sorted out. I asked around and searches and I'm looking at a Manfrotto/Bogen tripod. I'm not certain that I need a CF tripod, I don't mind a little extra weight, but if they are going to be more durable then perhaps I should look into it. I will be taking these items on planes quite often.

I was told to get the 55pro but I thought I would ask around here first. I also need to pick out a head for thsi new tripod. I don't mind paying for a good tripod but I don't want to pay a lot to get a tripod that I don't really need. I'm going to get into night photography, mostly the northern lights and it can be a little breezy up here so I need something stable, and that will stand up to extreme cold.

I'm far from a professional photgrapher, but I am looking to become an avid enthusiast.

This is the gear I presently have on order to me.
    Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi / 450D 5.1 x 3.8 x 2.4” (128.8 x 97.5 x 61.9mm) 16.8oz (475g)
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens 7oz (200g) 2.7 x 2.7” (68 x 70mm) 58mm Filter
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens 13.8 oz (390g) 2.8 x 3.4” (70 x 108.00mm) 58mm Filter
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens 21.1oz (600g) 3.1 x 4.7” (79.0 x 119.0mm) 58mm Filter

It's not overly heavy or big gear so I think most tripods will do. Any suggestions from this list on the link below would be much appreciated.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/5138/Tripods_Bogen_Manfrotto_Tripod_Systems.html

or if there is a better place to buy them I would be much appreciated if you could point me in the right direction.

I searched but really didn't find a lot of information on tripod selection suprisingly enough.

Thanks for the help

-TAG

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    This is a good all around choice.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/505863-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

If you need lighter than go with a set of the 055MF (mag fiber) legs and get the 488RC2 head.

Personally if it was me in that kind of cold I would go for either mag fiber legs or wooden legs if weight was not an issue. Berlebach makes outstanding legs and hard wood legs are the best for vibration dampening.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=&at=Brand_Berlebach&basicSubmit=Submit Query

Of course I can not see anyone outgrowing these Gitzo legs.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548442-REG/Gitzo_GT5561SGT_GT_5561SGT_Giant_Systematic_6X.html
    :lol:

3. TAG

TAG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    ball heads are good for tracking moving targets - where one wants the tripod more to hold the weight of the lens, whilst not hindering movement. Wildlife and sports are good uses for ball heads
    3Way heads are better for landscapes, skyscapes, portrates - basically shots where you don't have to track a moving target - where you have a moment to setup and where things such as a perfect horizontal horizon are important

5. TAG

TAG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

perfect. looks like I'm looking for 3d head. thanks for the advice.

-TAG

6. TAG

TAG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the 055mf3. Its a three section, rather than the four section you mention. Its a great tripod and sturdy. Carbon Fiber looks killer. One thing to think about is that the 4 section will be less solid than the 3 section. (legs get smaller with each section). My camera mounted on the 3 section fully extended is plenty high. In fact, with the head I use, the center section has to be all the way down. Just something to consider.

Derrick

8. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another thing to consider is how far it collapses. As much as I love my 3 section Bogen 3021, it doesn't collapse short enough to fit in an airline carry-on so it must be checked. If you plan on alot of air travel, you might be happier with a 4 section that collapses more.

9. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is a good point as well. Forgot about that. (I don't get to fly much) LOL.

Derrick

10. TAG

TAG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that's actually why I chose it. I work at an airport part time and get free flights. She'll see her fair share of time in an airplane.

Thanks again

-TAG

11. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

In that case, you'll love that tripod. The features are amzing and I believe the accessories for the aluminum version fit as well. (cencter column sections, feet, etc.)

Derrick

12. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd also avoid the spike feet. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm afraid security might consider it a weapon and make you check it if it has the spikes.