What type of camera is good for a class...

Bboysoda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im thinking about taking a photography class, but im wondering what kind of camera is good for it.

I have a Digital camera.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SS60/SS60A.HTM

Its work fine, but alot of the times I use my Dads... he has a VERY nice one, buts its japanese.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70A.HTM

I love it, but I dont know how to change settings which is the problem.

Some people say I should get a film camera, what do you think? Iv always thought digital was better... :mrgreen:

Bboysoda said:
buts its japanese.
Are you serious? What the hell is it with people recently?

This is the 3rd or 4th time this week that i've seen different people say the same thing to a certain extent here.
Why would that matter? Oh it's great...but it's japanese. Nikon's been in the buisness before god was born. I think they might know what they're doing.

:irked:

If you can't figure it out, than here, this will tell you everything it does inside and out:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70/d70-settings.htm

Film/Digital? depends on the instructor and the course syllabus.

Sw1tchFX said:

This is the 3rd or 4th time this week that i've seen different people say the same thing to a certain extent here.
Why would that matter? Oh it's great...but it's japanese. Nikon's been in the buisness before god was born. I think they might know what they're doing.
yes, what's up with that? As if that's a bad thing...
ah well. :-|

oh wait: maybe the manual is in Japanese. That would be a problem...:lmao:
(for me anyway)

pascal

I'm guessing what the OP means is that the menus on the camera are in Japanese... not that there's something wrong with a Japanese camera. I mean, he owns a Sony... benefit of the doubt mmkay :)

Otherwise I agree this idea of the Japanese making cameras sounds suspicious... these no-names like Bronica Canon Fuji Mamiya Minolta Nikon Olympus Pentax and Yashica all sound cheap to me. Next thing you'll be telling me the Germans are attempting to make cameras too. Best to play it safe and buy a camera from one of those famous Welsh companies. :lmao:

Sorry, had to be said. :lol:

As for the rest of the original post, for a photo class you need something where you can control exposure at least via aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Can't be done on the Sony I'm afraid but can be done on the D70 or in fact pretty much any SLR, film or digital. Check the manual; if you don't have a manual or it's the manual that's in Japanese, then just Google it and you should be able to find something fairly soon.

Bboysoda said:
Im thinking about taking a photography class, but im wondering what kind of camera is good for it.
Bboysoda said:

I have a Digital camera.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SS60/SS60A.HTM

Its work fine, but alot of the times I use my Dads... he has a VERY nice one, buts its japanese.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70A.HTM

I love it, but I dont know how to change settings which is the problem.

Some people say I should get a film camera, what do you think? Iv always thought digital was better... :mrgreen:

1. What type of camera is really going to depend on the class.
2. film Vs digital, thats a large can of worms. search the boards, you will find a few debates about it.
3. as far as the D70, it has quite a few auto features to use until your ready for more. If your looking for you own, take a look at the new D40 or a cannon Xti, both are great to start and would work great for school.

ZaphodB said:
I'm guessing what the OP means is that the menus on the camera are in Japanese... not that there's something wrong with a Japanese camera. I mean, he owns a Sony... benefit of the doubt mmkay :)

Otherwise I agree this idea of the Japanese making cameras sounds suspicious... these no-names like Bronica Canon Fuji Mamiya Minolta Nikon Olympus Pentax and Yashica all sound cheap to me. Next thing you'll be telling me the Germans are attempting to make cameras too. Best to play it safe and buy a camera from one of those famous Welsh companies. :lmao:

Sorry, had to be said. :lol:

As for the rest of the original post, for a photo class you need something where you can control exposure at least via aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Can't be done on the Sony I'm afraid but can be done on the D70 or in fact pretty much any SLR, film or digital. Check the manual; if you don't have a manual or it's the manual that's in Japanese, then just Google it and you should be able to find something fairly soon.

or better yet, that the germans are making cars.

or the japanese for that matter.

:lmao:

If you don't have a manual for it, try to google it and see what is what. Turn this, turn that, and if it has a meter in the viewfinder, you will begin to see how it all relates.

xfloggingkylex said:
or better yet, that the germans are making cars.

or the japanese for that matter.

:lmao:
Yeah, god knows those Hondas and Toyotas are pieces of crap. :lol: I mean, the Camry is the best selling car in America, so there must be a lot of stupid people out there. Always buy American! Except for GM, which makes most of it's cars in Canada. But Chrysler is still...oh darn, that's right they are owned by a German company now. :greenpbl:

Sw1tchFX said:

Puscas said:
yes, what's up with that? As if that's a bad thing...
ah well. :-|

oh wait: maybe the manual is in Japanese. That would be a problem...:lmao:
(for me anyway)

Ok... maybe I worded it wrong. I ment to say its IN japanese, and I cant read it. The settings, I dont know what they say. Im half japanese and my dad only aproves of japanese stuff, so I like it, thats not my problem.

Ill ask him when he gets back for a Manual, even tho I think its japanese. Ill look online for a manual, thanks for the help.

Depends on the class...in your experiance, which is more common?

Thanks for the help ^^

I think every camera has language options. you should be able to switch to english - you just haven't found it yet.

Bboysoda said:
Depends on the class...in your experiance, which is more common?

I don't have much experience, but I think it's more important you are able to change the settings on your camera than the question film or digital.
I've got a digital and I just finished my first photography class, which had 2 people with film. I don't think one of us had a (dis)advantage.

pascal

i'd ask him to teach you how to temporarily change it to english so you can use it, then change it back when you're done? seems harmless.
i have both nikon films and digitals, and love them both.

it really depends on what type of photo class you're taking; e.g., i had both a digital photo and a film photo class at my high school (i heard the film was better, but iw asn't into photography at that point).

If the class requires film, an inexpensive starter camera that works well is the Pentex K1000. They are built like tanks and can take a fair bit of abuse. YOu can find them all over ebay. The nice thing about them is that they force you to do everything manually. Having the knowledge to do everything manually will help in the long run.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back