What type of cheapie bulb

katieskids

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What kind of cheap bulb would I use for makeshift lighting? I am just using clamp lights.

I am taking pictures at a school dance this weekend and I don't have much $$ to spend on a lighting set up at this point.

I am a total total total newbie. Any advice would be appreciated.:hail: :hail:

You can use just about any type of lighting...but you will want it to be consistent so that you can adjust for it. For example, if you use regular incandescent light bulbs...you can set a digital camera for that (or use tungsten film or correction filter). You could use fluorescent lights as well.

What you don't want to do...is to mix lighting types. So if you are going to use incandescent bulbs...don't use a flash as well.

Also, take into consideration any existing or ambient light that may be there. If you are using a light source that is too different from the ambient light...your background will look off or even your subjects may have a funny color tint to them.

Thanks Mike. And thanks for not making me feel like a dummie.:hugs:

I am planning on using one light and then a reflector on the opposite side. Does that make sense????:confused:

I am diggin the smilies today, can you tell? ;)

One light and a reflector should work.

One thing I would be worried about is the amount of light you will need. A regular incandescent bulb doesn't really put out all that much light. I'm just guessing, but with something like a 250 watt bulb...you would have a hard time getting enough light to light up one whole person.

You might consider something like halogen work lights...they are quite bright...but they get hot, very hot in fact.

Are you planning on using anything to diffuse the light? Light from small source like a lamp or work light will be very hard or harsh. It can be useful for dramatic lighting...but for portraits, it usually doesn't look too good.

You can make some sort of diffusion device but be careful if you use 'hot' lights. Check this site for DIY stuff

You are going to want to test out your set up, before hand. Especially if you are not sure if it's going to work. You may be better off just using a flash on your camera. A good hot-shoe flash can easily provide enough light for portraits and small groups...the only problem is that the light is still close to the camera. If you can bounce the light off of a wall or ceiling...it will really help. You can even buy or make some sort of diffusion for a flash unit, that will soften the light.

Big Mike said:
One light and a reflector should work.

One thing I would be worried about is the amount of light you will need. A regular incandescent bulb doesn't really put out all that much light. I'm just guessing, but with something like a 250 watt bulb...you would have a hard time getting enough light to light up one whole person.

You might consider something like halogen work lights...they are quite bright...but they get hot, very hot in fact.

Are you planning on using anything to diffuse the light? Light from small source like a lamp or work light will be very hard or harsh. It can be useful for dramatic lighting...but for portraits, it usually doesn't look too good.

You can make some sort of diffusion device but be careful if you use 'hot' lights. Check this site for DIY stuff

You are going to want to test out your set up, before hand. Especially if you are not sure if it's going to work. You may be better off just using a flash on your camera. A good hot-shoe flash can easily provide enough light for portraits and small groups...the only problem is that the light is still close to the camera. If you can bounce the light off of a wall or ceiling...it will really help. You can even buy or make some sort of diffusion for a flash unit, that will soften the light.

[...] "[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM"]You can even buy or make some sort of diffusion for a flash unit, that will soften the light.[/ame]" <– click! for video.

I've been waiting for that video to load...for the last 10 minutes... :scratch:...oh, there it is.

I built something like this
Foam3.jpg

with just a few dollars worth of stuff from Wal-mart.

Got the idea from here

Most reactions

New Topics

Back