What type of system do you use for post processing?

Life

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.holthausphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious, because a few days ago I read that " Most professionals use macs" . however I don't quite believe that? I run a win 7 System with Cs6 and LR5. Isn't it correct that the monitor is really the key to the end result?
Anyway, just curious as to what the rest of the photographers here use, Mac or Windows?

Both.

Joe

Plus Linux

I have a 2 Dell PC's a Dell laptop and an old macbook.

I used to really like mac's but then I kinda stopped caring.

I use hardware and software, keyboard & mouse.

And my eyeballs.

And a monitor.

Sometimes, I engage the clutch on my brain.

For me, Apple device performance has never measured up to their inflated price (shine tax).
So I have never used Apple products.

If you don't think Apple products are way over priced just remember - Apple is usually the company that at any given moment has the biggest cash reserve, way more cash reserves than a lot of countries have.

I would say the most anti mac sentiment comes from people who have never used one.

I am reminded of a Simpsons episode in which a women on a TV show said " I don't know Homer Simpson I've never met Homer Simpson but Homer Simpson has ruined my life".

If you are considering an Apple perhaps take a look at Apple refurbished. For processing you want a computer with a plenty of RAM at least 4gb is ok, most windows laptops, but 8gb and up is better when running Adobe apps SSD's are better in terms of storage and performance

For me, Apple device performance has never measured up to their inflated price (shine tax).

If you don't think Apple products are way over priced just remember - Apple is usually the company that at any given moment has the biggest cash reserve, way more cash reserves than a lot of countries have.

I would say the most anti mac sentiment comes from people who have never used one.

I am reminded of a Simpsons episode in which a women on a TV show said " I don't know Homer Simpson I've never met Homer Simpson but Homer Simpson has ruined my life".

If you are considering an Apple perhaps take a look at Apple refurbished. For processing you want a computer with a plenty of RAM at least 4gb is ok, most windows laptops, but 8gb and up is better when running Adobe apps SSD's are better in terms of storage and performance
That's why I build my computers... Find a mac with: 16gb DDr3 1866mhz, Amd Hexacore oc 4.0ghz, water cooled, 2tb wd blue 7200rpm x64mb cache, 240gb samsung SSD, for under $550. I agree with KmH 100% honestly. Macs have great retina displays, and yes good computers. But IMO not worth all that $$$. Wouldn't you agree it would be a better choice to spend $550ish on a really good system, and then drop around $500 on a display? You'd still be running around $200 cheaper than a mac? Don't get me wrong, macs are nice n all, but it's economically stupid to buy them over home built system as long as you are willing to fiddle with building it.. IMO

I would say that my anti mac sentiment comes from decades of using them, owning them, writing and selling software for them, being lied to and cheated by Apple and paying a whole lot more for the very same hardware because it was designed to be fashionable rather than serviceable.

Joe

I use a Mac with CS6 and L5.

Just curious, because a few days ago I read that " Most professionals use macs" . however I don't quite believe that? I run a win 7 System with Cs6 and LR5. Isn't it correct that the monitor is really the key to the end result?
Anyway, just curious as to what the rest of the photographers here use, Mac or Windows?

Ok, well for video processing I've got 2 IBM Xseries 455 servers connected together so the OS addresses both machines as one. Each machine has a total of 8 dual core 2.8 processors in it, so when chained together that's a total of 32 2.8 ghz cores and 128 gig of ram.

For photo processing normally I'm using an I7 with 32 gig of Ram running Windows 7.

My bad.
Actually I have used Apple products periodically over the years and have helped Apple users learn how to use their devices.
I should have said I have never bought an Apple product.

I buy PC computers and use Windows OS.
I currently have a Dell Optiplex 760 computer with a Core Duo E7400 @2.80 GHz and 8 GB of RAM, a ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series graphics card, and an upgraded power supply.
My Dell 760 has 2 internal 500 GB hard drives and I have 2 Western Digital, My Book, 1TB external hard drives.
I have dual display setup - a 19" Dell TN display for my desktop and work pallets and a Dell 2209WA 22" IPS display that I edit on.

Last edited:
I use a PC with sufficient processor speed, memory and a decent graphics card.

Most reactions

Back