What video card?

Dieselrider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using a canon XTi to shoot with. Sometimes when I take what the camera says is a properly exposed photo and it looks great on the camera 2 inch screen but, when I download to my computer, a Dell Dimension 4550, it will look very dark and need to be lightened to look right on screen. Could this be in my video card on the computer? What can I do to be sure what I am seeing on screen, will look good if printed out or sent to someone else? Is there a way to "tune" my computer to the correct profile? Also what is up with Canon and their secrecy about their color profiles? :wav:Thanks

Its not specifically your video card but mores likely your screen configuration, for example I guess you are using a CRT screen and not an LCD (flatscreen) as flatscreens tend to overdo the brightness (something I have at the moment).
There are programs out there for tuning your computer to show accurately what the shot does look like.

Also remember that what might look find on the LCD on the camera can look very different on the big screen. Zooming into the shots can reveal more detail on the camera, but I prefer to do such in-depth studies on the train when the shoot is fully over (that way I don't drain my battery out too soon )

It should not be your video card. Even a very basic video card should be able to handle basic color displays of a still photograph.

What you are experiencing is the effectof an uncalibrated monitor. You need to buy and use some kind of calibrating hardware/software for your monitor for better/uniform color representation. Examples of calibrators:

Huey, Huey Pro, Spyder etc

Both KSM and Overread got it right. You can fix that problem with calibration software. I use the Spyder2 express and it works wonders.

It creates a profile that it loads into your video card as well as tweaking the settings on your monitor.

First of all, don't judge your image on the 2" screen...it's not reliable. I suggest setting your camera so that you can view the histogram and use that to judge.

Read THIS

Then, as the others have mentioned, you need to calibrate your monitor before you can be sure that what you are seeing is accurate.

I am using an Lcd flat screen and probably need some kind of color management tool like spyder. I have been looking them over a bit, wow, pricey! I will look around. Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back