What went wrong here?

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Axel, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Axel

Axel TPF Noob!

This picture was taken with flash (pretty obvious...) with my Nikon N50 and I don't know why it's so reflected on the wall of our lobby... What should I do to avoid that?

[​IMG]

And this one came out with very dull colors (I am aware of the fact that the artistic level is below zero, but that is not my concern...).

[​IMG]

While this came out with very bright and nice colors IMO at least (once again, the artistic level is the least here...).

[​IMG]

I am using an UV filter on them all...

Thanks for you input!

2. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

never shoot a reflected surface head-on with a camera mounted flash. try an angled shot.

3. Axel

Axel TPF Noob!

Thanks!

But what about the second picture? Why are the colors so dull? :(

4. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

you are probably using a built-in flash that is only effective for 6-8 feet. beyond that you loose the ability to produce sharp, vibrant images. you should invest in an external flash capable of illuminating distant subjects.

5. Axel

Axel TPF Noob!

Excellent to know! I did use a built-in flash!

Do you have any advice as far as what flash to get? Budget... Hmmm. I guess I gotta ask the wife first, but I think $50-100 is a safe shot here...

6. Harry99

Harry99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

7. Axel

Axel TPF Noob!

Thanks Harry99!

What I wonder is what flash to get... I may have to spend more than my budget allows me to, and in that case I will simply wait until I can afford it. What flash would you recommend to replace the built-in?

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you can, get one that is dedicated to your camera. Meaning one that can communicate with your camera. This may make things easier. You also could get a non-dedicated flash that works in an automatic mode for a lot cheaper.

I don't know Nikon so I can't offer any thing off the top of my head.

9. photong

photong Typo Queen

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can also try bouncing the flash from the cieling. If you're not using the built in type of course.

10. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Good idea!
    Then get a copy of Photoshop and go from there.

11. Axel

Axel TPF Noob!

I have PS, but I want to take the pictures good and just retouch a little with PS... Everything else is cheating to me!

12. the_peel

the_peel TPF Noob!

Just be aware, Axel, that if you want to try bouncing the light off the ceiling, there's a few things to be aware of:

1) because the light is bouncing off the ceiling, it's going to lose a significant amount of power, which basically means that you need to ensure your flash is powerful enough to compensate for this.

2) If this ceiling is too high, then this option may not be viable at all. Sometimes, you may not even have a ceiling! (ie: outdoors)

3) If the ceiling (or whatever object you want to bounce off of) is not white in color, it will have a a color cast on your subject. Ie: Bouncing off a blue ceiling will give your subject a blue cast.

Another option you have (doesn't require a flash) is, if the subject is stationary (ie: a wall, plant, building) you can try a longer exposure. For this, you'll need a tripod though, or at least something that you can prop the camera on. Do some research on night photography and you'll learn more about this.

Good luck!