What went wrong here?

Axel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This picture was taken with flash (pretty obvious...) with my Nikon N50 and I don't know why it's so reflected on the wall of our lobby... What should I do to avoid that?

06140005resized.jpg

And this one came out with very dull colors (I am aware of the fact that the artistic level is below zero, but that is not my concern...).

06140006modforpicgallery.jpg

While this came out with very bright and nice colors IMO at least (once again, the artistic level is the least here...).

06140007modforpg.jpg

I am using an UV filter on them all...

Thanks for you input!

never shoot a reflected surface head-on with a camera mounted flash. try an angled shot.

jonmikal said:
never shoot a reflected surface head-on with a camera mounted flash. try an angled shot.

Thanks!

But what about the second picture? Why are the colors so dull? :(

Axel said:

you are probably using a built-in flash that is only effective for 6-8 feet. beyond that you loose the ability to produce sharp, vibrant images. you should invest in an external flash capable of illuminating distant subjects.

jonmikal said:
Axel said:

you are probably using a built-in flash that is only effective for 6-8 feet. beyond that you loose the ability to produce sharp, vibrant images. you should invest in an external flash capable of illuminating distant subjects.

Excellent to know! I did use a built-in flash!

Do you have any advice as far as what flash to get? Budget... Hmmm. I guess I gotta ask the wife first, but I think $50-100 is a safe shot here...

Axel said:
This picture was taken with flash (pretty obvious...) with my Nikon N50 and I don't know why it's so reflected on the wall of our lobby... What should I do to avoid that
You could try using bounce flash off the ceiling (if its white) or try using a diffuser, or a few layers of white handkerchief over the flashgun, you will need a fairly powerful flashgun though, if the room is large.
Regarding #2 I agree with jonmikals comments, this shot is underexposed.

Thanks Harry99!

What I wonder is what flash to get... I may have to spend more than my budget allows me to, and in that case I will simply wait until I can afford it. What flash would you recommend to replace the built-in?

If you can, get one that is dedicated to your camera. Meaning one that can communicate with your camera. This may make things easier. You also could get a non-dedicated flash that works in an automatic mode for a lot cheaper.

I don't know Nikon so I can't offer any thing off the top of my head.

You can also try bouncing the flash from the cieling. If you're not using the built in type of course.

photong said:
You can also try bouncing the flash from the cieling. If you're not using the built in type of course.

Good idea!
Then get a copy of Photoshop and go from there.

I have PS, but I want to take the pictures good and just retouch a little with PS... Everything else is cheating to me!

Just be aware, Axel, that if you want to try bouncing the light off the ceiling, there's a few things to be aware of:

1) because the light is bouncing off the ceiling, it's going to lose a significant amount of power, which basically means that you need to ensure your flash is powerful enough to compensate for this.

2) If this ceiling is too high, then this option may not be viable at all. Sometimes, you may not even have a ceiling! (ie: outdoors)

3) If the ceiling (or whatever object you want to bounce off of) is not white in color, it will have a a color cast on your subject. Ie: Bouncing off a blue ceiling will give your subject a blue cast.

Another option you have (doesn't require a flash) is, if the subject is stationary (ie: a wall, plant, building) you can try a longer exposure. For this, you'll need a tripod though, or at least something that you can prop the camera on. Do some research on night photography and you'll learn more about this.

Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back