What went wrong?

2ManyToyz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are shot with a Nikon D90, 70-300 lens. Bright sunlight. Lens at 270mm. 1/2500, f 5.6. This is my third year shooting with this set up and I do not recall having clarity issues like this in the past. Almost every shot taken at 300mm or close was like this. Shots taken with the zoom setting lower (135mm for example) were clearer. I know how to take action sports photos...but still learning how to use this camera.

Also...should I change the white balance setting based on a cloudy or sunny day...or just leave it on auto?

Thanks in advance for assistance

548282_275151049234837_100002198315252_654957_1738473201_n.jpg

Attachments

• $DSC_1597.JPG
    $DSC_1597.JPG
    574.8 KB · Views: 141
What ISO? And did your camera get changed to "Auto Single Shot" from "Auto Focus Servo"? That could cause problems. Any particular reason you are at 1/2500?

I think 1/1000 would be more than adequate to stop the action.

Lastly, if you shoot in RAW you can mess with the w/b after the fact. Gives you more flexibility.

What ISO? And did your camera get changed to "Auto Single Shot" from "Auto Focus Servo"? That could cause problems. Any particular reason you are at 1/2500?

Lastly, if you shoot in RAW you can mess with the w/b after the fact. Gives you more flexibility.

Where can I find that setting?

Where can I find that setting?

I found a setting where I can choose AF-C Continuous-servo AF, or AF-A Auto Select or AF-S Single Servo AF. For sports I'm guessing AF-C is best?

The first photo is sharp, I think when you say "lack of clarity" you mean lack of contrast.

I have the same camera and lens (not sure which version of the zoom you have) and I must say the 70-300 is not the most contrasty lens in the World. If you think it got worse than it used to be, maybe it's just dirty?

By the way, the photo above does not look so wrong, at least to my inexpert judgement.

Last edited:
I found a setting where I can choose AF-C Continuous-servo AF, or AF-A Auto Select or AF-S Single Servo AF. For sports I'm guessing AF-C is best?

I'm not a Nikon guy, but I think that would be the equivilent to the AF-Servo on the Canon. It basically tracks (from what I understand) what you are focusing on, and continually focus as the subject moves.

I was having trouble with Basketball/Volleyball before I figured out to use the Servo mode, as I would depress the shutter button, the camera would 'focus' on a spot, then of course the subject keeps moving away leaving many images slightly OOF. I had much better luck with Servo mode.

Still learning of course...but I don't think that ever ends.

Why are you shooting at 1/2500 though? And what is your ISO at?

I'm not a Nikon guy, but I think that would be the equivilent to the AF-Servo on the Canon. It basically tracks (from what I understand) what you are focusing on, and continually focus as the subject moves.

I was having trouble with Basketball/Volleyball before I figured out to use the Servo mode, as I would depress the shutter button, the camera would 'focus' on a spot, then of course the subject keeps moving away leaving many images slightly OOF. I had much better luck with Servo mode.

Still learning of course...but I don't think that ever ends.

Why are you shooting at 1/2500 though? And what is your ISO at?

I don't recall the ISO setting...I agree it should have been lowered. I shoot sports in the Aperature mode with the lens fully open.

Other potential issues:
on the lens ther are two switches...what should they be set at?:
1) VR on or off
2) normal or active

Also I shoot with a monopod.

Last edited:
You have shot for 3 years?

I don't recall the ISO setting...I agree it should have been lowered. I shoot sports in the Aperature mode witht the lens fully open.

Other potential issues:
1) VR on or off
2) normal or active

I think it might be a good idea to read the manual.

VR is the Nikon equivilent to Canon IS (image stabilization). At 1/2500 you could capture a bee fart mid toot, and not have to worry about VR. In fact, it might be causing some of your troubles at that high of a shutter speed.

Not sure on #2, but I'll bet the manual will provide that answer. Good luck.

I don't recall the ISO setting...I agree it should have been lowered. I shoot sports in the Aperature mode witht the lens fully open.

Other potential issues:
1) VR on or off
2) normal or active

I think it might be a good idea to read the manual.

VR is the Nikon equivilent to Canon IS (image stabilization). At 1/2500 you could capture a bee fart mid toot, and not have to worry about VR. In fact, it might be causing some of your troubles at that high of a shutter speed.

Not sure on #2, but I'll bet the manual will provide that answer. Good luck.

I have been using the manual...unfortunately it's not the one with "For Dummies" on the front!

yea 1/2500 is probably a little high. Why are you using a monopod for a 70-300? That lens should be super light

yea 1/2500 is probably a little high. Why are you using a monopod for a 70-300? That lens should be super light

People use monopod to reduce shake on vertical orientation. BUT with 1/2500, probably does not really matter :).

I shoot a lot of games at night and the high school stadium lights force me to shoot at low shutter speeds even with the ISO setting at the highest..so I sarted using a monopod... I continue to use the monopod under daylight conditions simply for convenience....I find it easier to not have to constantly raise the camera to my eye....hope that makes sense

Based on his post, he's been shooting pictures for a little over 40 years. Perhaps he's got some physical limitation that makes it easier to shoot using a monopod. That's not what's causing the problem.

It's his extreme shutter speed, and unknown ISO as well as potentially having the wrong AF selected. I'll cut him some slack.

Most reactions

Back