What were we thinking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by mysteryscribe, Mar 8, 2006.

1. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Why did you get serious (if you are) about photography. More than just a point and shoot memory maker thingie.

2. tmpadmin

tmpadmin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It just happened. But I do think of it as "serious" more of a natural part of my day.

3. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I never owned a point and shoot. I was serious about it from the first day.

I decided I wanted one after taking a media class in school. I guess that's when I got serious.

4. nitefly

nitefly TPF Noob!

Ditto.

5. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    well... I grabbed my dad's Zenit when I was 12 simply because I thought it might be an interesting hobby...

6. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On the point and shoot front, I quite enjoyed taking the 'family portraits' when we were traveling (It always felt so professional to hear the film start 'whirring' back when done)
    I was given my father's old Pentax and some film when I was about 12, so why not? I probably took a dozen rolls, enjoyed the hobby and then got a DSLR (Unfortunately I had to give the Pentax back, but the shutter was starting to 'lag' a bit)

7. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i expressed an interest in photography about ten years ago, and borrowed a few p&s 35mm cameras, but before i could go out and buy one my parents bought me a Rebel X with the kit lens for my 20th birthday. i have been hooked ever since.

[rant]That camera didn't have a port for a cable release, so the only way to take a longer exposure was to use the timer!!! Does anybody else see this as a HUGE design flaw? I probably should have switched to nikon at that point but Canon was all i knew so I upgraded to a Canon Elan IIe almost solely for the cable release capability. And since i know nothing about any other mfr i stuck with canon for my recent DSLR addition.[/rant]

8. Traci

Traci when you wish upon a star...

Well...I always liked to take pictures. It seems that all my friends took photography in high school/college, while I was in advanced art. Go figure that I choose the wrong direction!
    I realized that I liked to do layout (catalogs and scrapbooks) about 10 years ago.
    Working with a professional photog at my last job and being around Photogoddess inspired me to "make the jump" to a good camera. The good 'ol point & shoot wasn't cuttin' it anymore. The options and quality of SLR/DSLRs created more of the "want" also.
    I borrowed SLRs from Photogoddes on several occasions and really drooled over her 10d. So, after I inherited a Canon EOS SLR with lenses, I decided to buy a used 10d body. I figured if my mentor had that camera, she could certainly show me how to use it!
    I am still learning about photography, so when I feel ready, I will upgrade. For now...I'm just having fun!

9. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Gee i seem to be the only cold blooded bastard here. I was working as a reporter for a news service and hated it. I thought about what I could do to make a buck and not have to work too hard. My father had worked in a textile mill for most of his life and I knew that wasnt it. I had shot a few rolls of film through a Petri 7s rangefinder while I was at summer camp in asia (1969), so I figured I could learn enough to make a buck. At the time I didn't even own a decent camera.

I started tech school with a Ricoh 35mm slr and a plan to be rich and famous (Neither happened). I graduated with a certificate and a professional license from the state. All it meant was that I had paid my tax fee. I ran into a bunch of guys who didn't mind me hanging out with them when I wasn't writing about construction work.

One of them was a lab tech for a working pro photographer. He gave me the advice that stuck with me forever. I started to book weddings for peanuts, then went on to book them for walnuts. At the ripe old age of sixty I am retired and doing what I was taught to do on day one. Shooting for the love of the cameras and the images that I can create with them. Doesn't much matter what anyone else sees in them, just that I do it the very best I know how.

So when did i make the move from point and shoot, after thirty years as a paid professional photographer. My studio is run by my son in law and i am now a retro photographer not for hire.

10. slickhare

slickhare TPF Noob!

my aunt bought me a polaroid camera when i was very young. so i somewhat consider that my start in photo. i took pictures with it frequently till it broke (i still have some of them). but then i didn't really express much interest in it for several years. at least not consciouly. i never really thought about it, but i really enjoyed magazines and the pictures in them. i never really thought about what went hand in hand with this odd obsession until recently. so in Nov 2005 i posted on here for some help getting started in serious photography. i took some pics with an old Pentax 35mm SLR and my dad's P&S digi. then i blew my savings on my Oly. so here i am a few months and a DSLR later completely obssesed with photo. i thank the wonderful people here for pushing me over the fence. :hug::

it might seem like i jumped into the DSLR fray early, but i just got that feeling like it was "right" for me. what can i say, i'm in lov :)

11. skallewag

skallewag TPF Noob!

i started to take pictures because of the feelings a picture could bring to me. i thought it was amazing this could happen and wanted to give other people that feeling as well. i also like the whole story from a single photo aspect. as far as point and soot, it dosent make since but i never liked them because they were to easy so i bought a slr and have loved every moment of change

12. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I married a photographer. Helped a bit at weddings he shot, first by handing him film on demand, and holding the flash as directed. Then one day he stuck a camera in my hands and wanted me to go around taking B&W candids, with this as my tutorial: "Don't point it at anyone standing in front of a window. I'll explain later." :lol:

Then the poor sod told me he liked my candids, and wondered aloud if I would be interested in learning hand coloring as an additional offering to go with the B&W candids. We have long since been out of the wedding business and, these days, I am not only a hand coloring artist, but have ventured on my own into alternative photographic processes. He's been scratching his head when he looks at me for several years now. :love: