What, Where, How, When

c0ps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you guys find yourself wondering What to shoot? I find myself always wondering Where to go to shoot stuff and often come back with nothing. If You do find something to shoot I ask myself how am I going to get there? should I ask the land owner if I can pass on his property? Last but not least, When should you shoot somehing you like? I often walk away from a shots because there is to many people around, and I guess I feel stupid taking out all my equipment and tripod to take the shot I like.

Anyone else ever ask themselves what? where? how? when?

I find myself looking for things that are interesting everywhere I go. But I often don't have my camera, except for my iPhone. But at least I am thinking about how to best capture what I see. And if it's really cool, I'll go back.

I always question just like you. I find sometimes its fun to create little assignments, or for me, to switch from my 24-70 to shooting only with the 70-200 for a more compressed composition. I feel you should always ask permission especially when traveling onto "private property." All else, photograph away and always wait for the "good" lighting to make for a great dramatic photo. Trust me, I'm sure when you break out all your equipment and start composing and what not, people will look at you at think..."Pro" ahhaha Look the part and act the part and people will never question you!

Do you guys find yourself wondering What to shoot? I find myself always wondering Where to go to shoot stuff and often come back with nothing. If You do find something to shoot I ask myself how am I going to get there? should I ask the land owner if I can pass on his property? Last but not least, When should you shoot somehing you like? I often walk away from a shots because there is to many people around, and I guess I feel stupid taking out all my equipment and tripod to take the shot I like.

It really helps if you kind of have a plan. As someone suggested, give yourself an assignment. Tomorrow shoot the front of cars. Next day shoot shattered concrete. Day after shoot dandelions. Day after that go in your bathrooom, shut the door and don't come out till you have 30 new images (not snapshots). On the weekend, make a 6 foot circle in the park. Get in the circle and make 30 images (not snapshots).

What. If you're stumped, get a closeup with some DOF. A lot of my images are abstracts. Fortunately, I have a clientel that like the mystery in those. I never tell them what it is.

Where. Everywhere. I don't leave home without a DSLR. I make images everyday. As I move around each day I look for locations of promise.

How. You better unless you want to wind up in earnest conversation with the cops or pick buckshot out of your hinnie. I always have business cards with me to hand them when I ask. Might be a free print in it for them, might not.

When. The best light is the around sun up and sunset. This time of year sucks because the nights are so short. I don't get a lot of sleep all at one time. I secretly long for mornings with hard, dense overcast so I can go back to sleep and not go out and do landscapes.

Thanks for the replys. I live in a small town but close to the big city of Toronto. I guess I just need to snap more pics of anything. I'm always looking for that big shot, but never find it. I see alote of nice shots from members here, wich give me ideas, but nothing that I can get close by to home. A big city like toronto and no events taking place. Not any worth shooting. And I dont enjoy shooting buildings.

KmH, do you bring your camera a long throughout the day when you are just running errands, i get extremely apprehensive about leaving my camera in my car throughout the day but i would love to have it with me...not out of theft as much as nervous about heat/cold damage... is this a legitimate concern?

Most reactions

Back