what would you do...besides scream!

Kathleen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wanted to hear your thoughts.
A friend of mine took her canon rebel back to the store where she'd bought it because the memory card was stuck. She's had the camera for less then a year. The store assistant brandished a screwdriver and began prying at the card. The card popped out, but then he told her that she had a bent pin and that he'd straighten it...again came the screwdriver. Horrors! And you guessed it, he broke the pin. To sum it up they said it had to be sent to Canon to be repaired and it would take 4-5 wks! The first thing I would have done was bop him with the screwdriver the second he got near my camera!

I have done that on hard disks before, so I know that first I would have smacked the screwdriver out of his hand! Did she ask him to fix it for her, or did he do it on his own? If it was on his own I would have had a word with the manager and tried to get myself a loaner while it was getting fixed!

haha, i pop out media cards with a screwdriver for people at my work. never unless asked to, haha but i still do it. don't think i'd try to bend a contact pin, or do any other repair on a camera that wasn't my own.

LOL awesome story. I would think fixing a contact pin with a screwdriver would make as much sense as cleaning the sensor with a pressure washer. :wink:

The real question would be... who's paying for the repair?

The real question is whether you'd have had to send it back to fix a bent contact pin anyway. Bent or broken, is there much of a difference in the repair cost? I don't know for sure, but I'd guess you'd want to send it in either way, and the cost would be the same, which would be to open the camera and replace the pin connectors with a new set of connectors. In other words: same cost.

If I'm wrong, and he damaged it (and this up'd the cost of a repair), I'd ask politely for them to pay half or something like that. He may have made it worse but the card was stuck and the pin was already bent before he touched it.

Did she check for a local Authorized repair shop? Chances are they could have that puppy fixed in a week, at most.

have a good one
3Eo

That sounded reeeaaaly dodgy. I've always been one to tinker around with stuff, and break it, but it's my own doing, and I take responsibility. I would also ask the store to pay a certain amount, but if the camera was within its warranty.....

I would've used very colorful language asking the person what are they doing with a screwdriver to fix a DSLR.

Man Alive!!!
He'd get more than colorful words and bashed over the head with the screwdriver!!!

This is another example of why I don't let people touch my stuff.
Would you let the receptionist at the Ford Dealer rotate your tires? No.. you ask for a mechanic!!

Most reactions

Back