What would you do? (Dirty Sensor)

JTHphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are my before and after shots when using the "recommended" blower method from the manual. As you can see it removed a spot or two and that errant hair, eyelash, etc... :confused:

but seriously, what would you do? I have the eclipse and pec pads and have read through that copperhill tutorial several times... i am just trying to work up the courage :meh: . This is from a 20D, 1 year old, 8K shots, never been cleaned. I'm thinking this is too much to live with and try to clone out in PS, what would you do?

Before (blue sky)
spots1.jpg

After (gray sky - hope it rains!)
spots2.jpg

i think i see Cassiopeia in there...

A friend of mine with a d70 uses scotch tape for his sensor.

Clean your sensor. It's scary the first time, but unless you are completely clumsy you won't hurt it. The next time it's less scary, and the time after that you'll consider it a regular part of DSLR maintinence.

Unless the manufacturers are going to come up with an internal mechanism to do it, we're all going to have to get used to cleaning our sensors.

My sensor is dirty, too, but not AS dirty ... I have never dared clean my sensor as yet but don't want to hand in the camera for maintenance, either, since it'd be gone for WEEKS :)shock: ) --- I think I should study all the instructions on how to clean the sensor at last. I can still clone out the worst spots, but cloning them all out is such a nuisance!

ksmattfish said:
Clean your sensor. It's scary the first time, but unless you are completely clumsy you won't hurt it. The next time it's less scary, and the time after that you'll consider it a regular part of DSLR maintinence.

Unless the manufacturers are going to come up with an internal mechanism to do it, we're all going to have to get used to cleaning our sensors.

thanks matt, this is the kind of thing I am looking to hear... it will help steady my hand some... ;)

NeoDude said:
Scotch Tape! What the hell does he use that for?

I read about people doing that, i don't understand that at all, that's the last thing I would do...

Geez JTH, that is terrible. I don't like having one spot let alone 100's. I am not sure about Canon cameras ( in more ways than this:wink: ) but cleaning the sensor on the D70s is pretty easy. I can usually get everything in one swipe now.

Most reactions

Back