What would you do for "the shot"?

WDodd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you do when you are driving along, or doing whatever, and you see that must have shot but it isn't always the easiest thing to get?

A lot of times I'll be driving around and say oh that would be cool or unique but a lot of times I'm not willing to pull over and set up my stuff, if I even have it, to get the shot.

I was just wondering if anyone had any interesting stories on how far you went to get the picture you had envisioned.

If I really want the shot I will do absolutely anything, up to (and including) murder.
I was trained by photographers who, on occasion, have spent many weeks in the studio working on the one Ad shot; or who have done 15 re-shoots because they were not happy about some teeny-tiny detail; who would take themselves and everyone else to the limit - and then push some more.
And you would think to yourself many times 'why the Hell am I doing this? It's insane'.
And then you saw the final shot and realised why you had gone through it all.
That was what made them great photographers.
They thought nothing of doing it that way - and so neither did I.
I still don't. Being prepared to go the extra distance to get maybe a better shot when most would be satisfied with what they have is a necessary part of being a good photographer.
For example, I posted a shot on here called 'Life'. It's not one of my best but it was meant to be a joke and I like it for that. I spent five hours in the car driving over 100miles in heavy Holiday traffic, then walked five or six miles carrying my cameras, the bananas and a pineapple (don't ask) just to get that shot. Once I had got what I wanted I went straight home. Getting the shot was the sole purpose of the trip.

Interesting question. I learned two things that make me get the shot when i see it...

1. When doing press work a photographer at a paper I worked for taught me perhaps the most important one....always carry a camera.

2. Having not yet learned the first lesson above I discovered that getting said camera and going back means I missed it lol

So from that time forward I learned to do what ever I can that doesn't involve me getting hurt or having to explain to the police what I was doing when the person made the call hahaha.

Regards,
Peter Witham

I missed a train leaving for another country, and spent an hour standing in the rain in Luzerne on a 5 degree evening and spent an entire following week nursing a cold. The best photo by a long shot of my 3 month stay in Europe was the result.

I would do anything really that wouldn't result in death for the perfect photo.

Thats a great photo Garbz!

about as much as I'd do for a Klondike bar.

1. When doing press work a photographer at a paper I worked for taught me perhaps the most important one....always carry a camera.

Yes, I agree, there are so many times where I've been somewhere and seen "that perfect shot" and wished I had brought my camera. Or I have my camera, but it's not out and ready at that moment.
There's a lot that goes in to getting the perfect shot, and I hope that someday luck will have it that I'll be there at the right moment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back