What would you do?

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Senor Hound, May 27, 2008.

1. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm wanting to do a self-portrait. But my self portrait is going to be a little disturbing. I want to show me without a shirt, pale, scrawny and vulnerable. I've been feeling very depressed lately and I want to express it.

The problem is, I don't know if I should do it as a nude or not. If I do, I probably won't let anyone except for about 2 other people see it (sorry, ladies, :) ). But I think it would complete the feel, as being isolated makes you feel emotionally naked. Plus, even in the most non-sexual pose, people see boy parts and think sex. And that might estrange people from experiencing the photo, or even worse than estrange, offend.

I don't think I will, but I wanted to see what everyone else would do. I know I can always take more than one shot, but that's not really the point. I want an opinion.

BTW, I am over 18. I know I look underage, but I promise I'm not. This is part of the reason I don't think I'll do it, cause I think I have a look to me that might make nudity seem too dirty.

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it was me, and I wanted to do a picture like that I would probably go ahead and do it. You could always do a few "safer" versions if you feel like sharing your work.

3. spiffybeth

spiffybeth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    do the nude and share it. what do you have to be shameful about?

4. GeorgiaOwl

GeorgiaOwl TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sit in a chair with a back and face backwards. There are alot of ways you could convey the idea without having a full frontal shot.

As for myself, I'd probably burn out some eyeballs if I were to do one. Yeah, I'm that sexy. All 280 pounds resting on this atheletic 5'7 frame. hoo wah baby. :)

Seriously though....think about things you could use (props, basically) to convey the feeling of being totally unprotected by anything - without exposing everything ya have. :) You might even find it ok to show it to people that way too.

5. MyaLover

MyaLover TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agree with the above, some careful lighting, posing, etc will convey what you are trying to say without exposing too much. Some things left to the imagination are more powerful.

And on a side note, we all go through rough patches. When I do, I take photos. Its my therapy. Keep your chin up :)

6. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Screw the technical stuff and go for a raw shot. Below is a self-portrait of mine. I had actually set up my strobes but forgot to set my shutter to x-sync, so I only got the backlight. I think I prefer it this way.

[​IMG]