What would you do?

Donald

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a dilemna, and would greatly appreciate some input.

I have a nearly new Nikon F55 film camera, with two lenses. I am thinking I would like to sell it off to buy a digital camera. I figure between my savings and the proceeds I would have about 200 pounds, maybe slightly more, to spend. What would be my best option for a digital camera? I am a relatively experienced photographer, and enjoy taking non-professional photos of family, nature, etc... I would like the highest quality option possible, and am not afraid to use manual settings etc...

I have also thought of keeping the lenses and waiting until the prices come down to buy a Nikon digital camera that I can use with the lenses I already have.....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Don

Maybe keep the lenses and buy second-hand digital nikon from ebay.

What type of lens fit are they..AIS ?

They are G type lenses....does that mean they are not compatible with digital cameras? I bought them as part of a F55 package.....

Sometimes I struggle with the whole film vs digital issue as well...but it would sure be nice to not have to buy film, etc...

Welcome to the forum.

My suggestion, would be to do all that you can to get a Nikon DSLR. A D50 or a D70. You will be able to use your current lenses on either.

From the sounds of it, you may be perfectly happy with a small digi-cam, they are easy to carry around and can take OK photos in some conditions. However, you have been using a film SLR so you know what it feels like to use a real camera. Any Digi-cam will not feel quite as good as an SLR. The shutter response and actually looking through the lens.

As image quality is a concern, the DSLR is a hands down winner. The camera my be 2 times more expensive, but it's 10 times the camera.

Thanks for the welcome Big Mike! I think you are right, I have been using SLR's for years, and it would be hard to feel like I was using something less. I have been reading good things about a Fuji S700 series, it is like 200 pounds or so, but it is not an SLR at the end of the day.... Looks like I will be saving my money for awhile...

It is a big relief to hear that I can still use the lenses....the camera is nice, I just want to get with the times, and stop paying for film and developing, as well as sending images over the computer etc...

I feel Fuji cameras are mostly let down with their sensor spec/size... Better off with either a Nikon or Canon.

Most reactions

Back