What would you do?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by drlynn, Apr 14, 2004.

1. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

I have been looking at getting into some portrait work on the side (my wife runs a scrapbooking business, and I'm basically thinking of ways to help her business) and I have a couple of options for equipment.
    I have always been a Canon guy, and have a Rebel Ti and a couple of lenses (but nothing really good enough to do portrait work :( ). I also have an older manual Canon AV-1 with a 50mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/3.5-4.

So, here are my options. Each is roughly the same $-wise, tho #1 will be a little less, probably:

1. Buy a couple of nice lenses for my Canon, ie 135mm f/2.8, 100mm, etc.

2. Buy the Minolta Maxxum 7 + 28-100 and 75-300 lenses I've been drooling over, and use the AV-1 with the 135 f/2.8 as my backup

My dilemma lies in wondering if the extra features on the Minolta (flash compensation, mirror lock-up, etc) would be nicer to have than the dedicated portrait lens.

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally I'd go with the lenses. While features on the camera can be nice and make things easier, it's really the lens that makes a picture look the way it does (for film cameras). The EOS 85mm f1.8 is a dream portrait lens for the Canon, and I think you will be much happier with the pictures it takes than what you would get with a zoom lens in the long run. That combined with the 135mm f2.8 lens would cover most portrait situations. A 50mm f1.8 is fairly inexpensive and would be good for environmental portraits.

3. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I second the 85mm 1.8 lens. It's amazing for portraits.

4. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

Mark and Voods,
    Thanks for the input. I saw a WOW price on the Maxxum 7 kit (under $700!) with the 2 lenses, and having read up on all that the thing can do, I had been contemplating selling all my stuff and switching. But there are not a lot of quality dedicated portrait lenses available for the Minolta that I could find, so I was starting to lean towards the new lenses for my Canon.

That's probably what I'll do, and start saving for an EOS 3 for the (fairly distant) future.

Thanks again!

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unless there's a specific feature that the EOS 3 has that you are looking for, you might want to check out the A2 (or A2e). I had two, and I love them. One is actually an EOS 5 (the Eurpean version), which I still have and keep meaning to stick up on eBay. The extra focus zones and do-dads of the EOS 3 are nice, but the A2 has probably the best bang-for-the-buck out of the entire Canon line.

6. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

Funny you should mention the EOS 5/A2e, Mark.

I have been looking at them on eBay, and all the reviews I have seen have been positive. They say that the European version is better, due to some patent problems in the States forcing a couple of features off of the US version.

I am leaning toward the 3 mainly for the new camera warranty, but I haven't really decided. And I'll probably change my mind 50-60 times between now and the day I buy it. :D

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Another thumbs up from me on the EOS 85mm f1.8 and the tried and true 50mm f1.8.

8. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The EOS 5 has a Quartz Date Back. Whether that's good or not is questionable. The patent issue is when it's in manual mode. The A2(e) will only show + or - if you are over or underexposed, while the EOS 5 uses the typical graph with the +/- 2 stop range.

You could get a main EOS 5 and a backup for less than one new EOS 3, and still have money left for a third camera if one busted. (You only need one vertical grip.)

Just a thought. ;)

I'd rather sell it to someone on here than on eBay. I'd like to get $250 for it with the vertical grip, if you are interested. They are both in great shape, but at some point I put on the battery cover from my backup camera, so the rubber is a little worn on that part. I have the box, but can't find the manual at the moment. The battery meter still shows full.

9. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

Mark, that's a great deal! Makes me wish I was ready to buy now! But my wife just agreed to $600+ in new lenses, so I'd better not press my luck. :wink:

I'm gettin' the 85mm, 135mm soft focus, and the 50mm 1.8 (douldn't afford the 1.4 along with the other 2, and it's the lens of least need, so I didn't want to skip one of the others to upgrade).

WOOHOOO!! NEW TOYS!!! :D :D :D

:smileys:

10. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No worries. I'll plunk it on eBay once I get my butt in gear.

Great choices on the lenses! Even if you do get the 50/1.4 later, the 1.8 is still good to have around. It's lighter and makes a good backup lens for outings when you don't want to risk hurting the 1.4.