what would you want in a photography magazine...?

pucus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The other day a friend made me an interesting question; what would I want in a good photography magazine? what makes a good and complete photography magazine...?

I thought it was a question tough to answer... so many options... what does a good magazine need...?

Any ideas:wink:

I think this should be moved to "Photographic Discussions", probably. ;)
As for your question; I think all sorts of things would make a photography magazine nice. I really can't pick a certain category; besides "good images". They'd have to have a nice composition anyways, to be published. But it's hard to describe certain images that would look nice among the layout of a photography magazine. I've always associated magazines with color though, so mainly full-color images. No borders. Stuff that deals with conflict; and at the same time stuff that just makes a beautiful image. Flowers, thoughtful people, cute animals, huge mountain ranges. I'd want everything.
Oh, and by the way; welcome to TPF!

thanks cherrymoose I'll keep it in mind, this actually makes me want to create a photo magazine, with interesting articles written by photograhers, a free mag, with all the information a photograher would need, plus where to travel to get great photos and more...

A magazine targeting professional/passionate level photography and interests.

Real Photographers with Real Photographs ... let real photogs show and tell stories on what they did and why and what works for them. No ads (lol). And reviewers with brass huevos that will tell it like it is ... i.e. that lens is a dog ...or that photo sucks, Way over priced, as well as giving credit where credit is due. An "Ask the Attorney" page with advise from "real" attorneys. Feature a spread on photogs in out of the way places ... their work and struggles. A spread for/on young photogs. Phun Photos, Weird Photo Gadgets, Stupid Photo Stuff You Can Make on the Cheap. List and review of internet photo sites, what's good and what's not.

Just a start.

Gary

thanks cherrymoose I'll keep it in mind, this actually makes me want to create a photo magazine, with interesting articles written by photograhers, a free mag, with all the information a photograher would need, plus where to travel to get great photos and more...

I'd buy it! :)

aside from being free, popular photography hits the mark pretty well.

I love getting pop photo because it gives you reviews of the latest gear, meaning DSLR's as well as point and shoots, new memory, accessories, gadgets (like digital picture frames) lighting, and so much more. Not only do they do full benchmark tests on cameras, but they also benchmark lenses and give a great chart that shows how the lens performs at each aperture, helping you find the lenses (sweet spot). They also offer buying guides for lenses and cameras, saying what to look for, what compromises to make if you have to, and even listing cheaper alternatives. Plenty of articles about photographers, amateur and pro, as well as a how too section for some creative works.

And of course my favorite thing, tips and advice for shooting, given by experienced photographers.

www.popphoto.com

And if anyone from pop photo reads this, I'll be waiting for my check:lol:

What people think should go into a good magazine is going to be totally subjective.
I don't care for reviews on software or technical reviews on the latest gear and gadgets.
If I want to find out about that then I'd go search for it on the internet.
I enjoy looking at printed images, without the editor or writer telling me why the image is good or bad.
I don't need other people to tell me why I should think a photo is good or why the photo is bad.
Sure it could help me become a better photographer and other peoples opinions count towards something, but this is a magazine that has what i want in it, so no writing about why i should like a photo. :p

So yeah, maybe themactic weekly magazine with shots from different excellent photographers. Maybe a couple of pages with links to useful websites that i can check out if I want.
Competitions.

A magazine targeting professional/passionate level photography and interests.

Real Photographers with Real Photographs ... let real photogs show and tell stories on what they did and why and what works for them. No ads (lol). And reviewers with brass huevos that will tell it like it is ... i.e. that lens is a dog ...or that photo sucks, Way over priced, as well as giving credit where credit is due. An "Ask the Attorney" page with advise from "real" attorneys. Feature a spread on photogs in out of the way places ... their work and struggles. A spread for/on young photogs. Phun Photos, Weird Photo Gadgets, Stupid Photo Stuff You Can Make on the Cheap. List and review of internet photo sites, what's good and what's not.

In otherwords the exact opposite of the Phososhop mag.

In otherwords the exact opposite of the Phososhop mag.

Yes, the opposite of Popular Photography, all the US rags that have about the same nutritional value for the serious photographer as a stick of gum for our bodies.

One of the things I expect in a "trade" magazine is a source of collective expertise ... allowing serious photogs to capitalize off their collective mistakes and experiences to move up the learning curve quicker.

Popular Photography is all about selling magazines not about serious photography ... or even great photographs.

Gary

Most reactions

New Topics

Back