What's a good quality, but low priced medium format film camera?

So what did you end up getting Jeremy?

MF is at an all time low. You can get a Bronica ETRS for $250 in great condition.

I'll sell you an RB67 Pro-S for $300 that is just hanging around my shop.

Oblong is a funny old format when your used to square, I couldn't get close to a Mam 645 pro when fat old Veronica was still leading me astray.
There was something about the lady, built like a tank with dodgy seals and magnum recoil slap that came between me and Mamiya...
Veronica is still in my life...the 645 isn't.

If you are looking for a nice MF SLR get the Bronica ETRS. They are always selling for about $250 on eh forum classifieds. Another camera that is very popular are the tanks of MF, the RB67-Pro-S. These beasts are fantastic and going very cheap thses days.

The Yashicas are fine if you are getting em for less that $50. Anything more is really too much compared to what you can get for about the same money.

I'm currently saving up for an RB67 or a Bronica. I have about 2 more weeks before I can pick one up myself.

Which lens would be best for the RB67 for landscape or nature shots at the park?

Which lens should I look for with the Bronica?

I would like to buy one with a suitable lens already attached because trips to the park would be all it would be used for.

What would you guys suggest??

Bill

50mm is wide angle on medium format, cant speak for RB67 but I'm fairly certain its the same.
Generally a kit of a body and lens will usually mean the lens is a standard focal length for that format, probably 75-80mm, your less likely to find a kit with the included lens being a 50, its not impossible, but they're usually sold seperately.
The standard lens has less distortion and would be better for the "nature" shots you speak of, the 50 I use on Veronica gives a portrait a fivehead rather than a forehead, but its a great scape lens.
Theres quite a difference in suitable focal lengths between "landscape" and "nature" shots, I imagine nature to be much closer than distant hills.

These cameras deserve more than a trip to the park, btw, infact if you get an RB I want to come watch you:D, Veronicas aren't as heavy/bulk.

Hi Joxby, If you lived closer, it would be great to have someone with knowledge along! Our local park is enough of an excursion for me these days.

It's about 200 acres of wooded area. It also has the typical park setting with the large grassed areas for picnic and a nice little lake and a lot of wildlife. If you get there early enough you may spot a deer or two.

I would prefer a trip to the forest, but it's over a hour away. I can be at the park in 15 minutes.

I will probably have to use a hand-cart to move a large medium format camera and a tripod will be a must. Weight of equipment is already a real issue, as I've lost a lot of mobility and range of motion due to severe arthritis. That's just the way it is :) The upside is that I can't wait to get outside every day now and play (learn) with my cameras.

I would love to hear more about your Veronica and your approach to outdoor photography!

If there's any members around the Atlanta area, I would love to hear from you!

Take care,
Bill

Hi Joxby, If you lived closer, it would be great to have someone with knowledge along! Our local park is enough of an excursion for me these days.

It's about 200 acres of wooded area. It also has the typical park setting with the large grassed areas for picnic and a nice little lake and a lot of wildlife. If you get there early enough you may spot a deer or two.

I would prefer a trip to the forest, but it's over a hour away. I can be at the park in 15 minutes.

I will probably have to use a hand-cart to move a large medium format camera and a tripod will be a must. Weight of equipment is already a real issue, as I've lost a lot of mobility and range of motion due to severe arthritis. That's just the way it is :) The upside is that I can't wait to get outside every day now and play (learn) with my cameras.

I would love to hear more about your Veronica and your approach to outdoor photography!

If there's any members around the Atlanta area, I would love to hear from you!

Take care,
Bill

Closer ?, waddya mean, its only 3000 miles:lmao:
My approach is to have a plan, go with specific intention and only carry the equipment for that intention, I only carry a tripod for landscapes or things of that nature.
For really light, no idea what I'm shooting, I use a Mamiya 6, but I dont enjoy using that like I do Bronica.
Comparatively a bag of RB is the bigger weight and bulk of a Bronica, but if you have a trolley of some kind and are prepared to pull it you can take the whole shooting match.
Personally I see the biggest oppertunity is to shoot people, theres only so many angles you can shoot park landscapes from and I suppose the wildlife will have its limitations.
If your hinges can hold up, 400 film and a bright day will be hand holding territory.
I'd say with your current arthritis condition, a rangefinder would be easier to handle even with a tripod, but they can be hellish expensive M/F and only a few meter.
You dont really say what your prepared to accept, is metering essential, would you spend time handholding or not at all, an RB is pretty much stuck on a tripod at all times but Bronicas, Bladds, cameras of that design are handholdable in good light, and there are metered prisms available.

Hi Joxby, 3000 miles by computer is practically next door!

What I'm really looking to do is to have one "near professional" grade camera in medium format. To me, the medium format prints have the best in clarity.

Photography will only and always be a hobby for me. I'm retired and I sure don't want a new career.

I have a few medium format folders and a few TLRs and at least a dozen or so 35mms that are minolta, pentax, mamiya, yashica etc. I'm starting to look at antique cameras from the 1930s and 40s as well as haviing a more modern M-F.

I like your approach with a plan. What I am doing now is to take one film camera and my digital and go to the park.

There are a lot of interesting features like stone bridges and stone knee walls around the lake. The wildlife is not so wild in some spots and they are used to people getting very close. At this point, I am using the same locations at different times of day to learn about light and shadows and catching the reflections in the water etc. I'm still learning the basics of photography and I like being able to use the same subjects under different conditions and camera settings.

I really am a total beginner and not a bit shy about asking the most basic questions. I'm not sure what a metered prism is? Do they indicate what the aperture setting should be?

I do have a range finder 35mm that feels a bit odd for me to use as I'm more accustomed to the SLR and looking through the focusing lens.

I do enjoy photographing people and I really like to shoot the fishermen as they are plentiful and diverse subjects and don't mind being filmed.

For the medium format camera I would like to have one that I could handhold or use on a tripod. It's looking like a bronica may be better suited and I may have to continue to use a 35mm for the ducks other birds and animals I can get close to.

I can hand hold for short periods of time a few times a day. I typically shoot for about ten to fifteen minutes and then rest a while.

I would also use the new camera to take portraits of my dogs and other friends and family where portability would not be an issue.

I guess it all boils down to the fact that I have a weakness for cameras and
I would like a really great camera in M-F.

Bill

We gotta stop buying cameras, I have 3 film and 3 digital, but only one pair of hands.
Where cost is an issue, and 645 not an option, the 6x6 Bronicas are hard to beat, but they're hardly modern in the broadest sense of the word and you need to be carefull with perishing light seals on the old ones.
Bladds are probably better, but expensive comparatively.
SQ serise is cheap and theres loads of add-ons in the range, I cant say much about RB except it is a beast of a camera and a damn fine machine.
I have Bronica EC, old as the hills, shot seals and completely manual but she takes some beau images when she feels like it, I wouldn't recommend something of that age though for trouble free reliable shooting.
There are metered prisms that do varying amounts of calculations for you, they clip on top of the body in place of the waist level finder, they all have an eye cup, some you look through the same way you look through an slr view finder, others are chimneys that you look down through, non give you the distance between you face and the camera that a wlfinder does.
They do meter, Apperture priority, that is - you choose the apperture and the camera meters and chooses the shutter speed for correct exposure.
Some do both App and Shut priority and have a mechanical/electrical connection that alters settings for you instead of just giving a meter reading.
Maybe the more up to date ones do everything I'm not sure, but there are un-metered prisms also, so read up what your buying.
I'm not certain what is available for every SQ model or which would be best for you, I'm stuck in the dark ages with Veronica.
I would think the SQAi is the most advanced in the range, besides GS1 which is 6x7 btw.
Bronica SQ serise
Load of stuff about SQ and accessories

bronica.jpg
waist level finder

010206_2_2.jpg
metered prism and motorised film advance

Hi Joxby, My wife is sharing the sentiment about stopping the camera purchases ;). Thanks for the information on the cameras. it will be a tough choice. I don't mind doing a bit of simple work on cameras. I've replaced light seals on 4 with good results. What would stymie me would be something serious like film advance problems shutter and shutter speed.

I looked on KEH last night and saw a fixed lens Fuji but I know I would want more lenses in the future as finances allow.

Your explanation on the prisms contained a wealth of good information for me.
I'm grateful for the time you spent! I understand them better and I saved the text for future reference!

Thanks

Bill

Have you definitely decided against a Hasselblad? There is a lot of it about at ridiculously cheap (for Hasselblad) prices. They are a lot lighter than an RB67. The RB67 is just over 6 lbs with a plain waist level finder and a typical lens, an equivalent 500C/M outfit would be about 3½ lbs. You lose the bellows focusing capability of the RB of course.

Best,
Helen

Hi Helen, The more I look, the longer it could take to save for it if I keep my perspective.

Hasselblads are pretty pricey around here and I hesitate to spend that kind of money over the internet sight unseen. I haven't seen one under $700.00 locally.

I would like to be able to pick up a couple of extra lenses within a month or so.

After the last of my children move out in a few years I will probably be able to better afford to pick up a hasselblad with the lenses I would need. But for now, it looks like a bronica or a mamiya or ????

This will be absolutely for hobby only so I have to contain my addiction to equipment some how !!!!!!

Take care

Bill

Most reactions

New Topics

Back