What's best speed film for a wedding?

cdm369

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm doing a wedding for a friend as a favor and have no idea what speed film is the best for a wedding situation. I was thinking of using 400 during the wedding, but what about after the wedding portraits? Would 800 work good in questionably lit areas for portraits? Also, is it best to depend on a speedlite using the basic zone portrait setting on my Canon Rebel Ti or should I use Tv or Av mode to take in more light?

Your input would be greatly appreciated,
Craig

Is it an indoor wedding, or outdoor? If it's indoors, is it in a dimly lit church or a well lit hall? If it's outdoors is it supposed to be cloudy or sunny..

You can't get answers to your questions without those kind of details, for starters.

How bright will the ceremony be? Will you be allowed to use flash? What lens (or lenses) do you have?

Would 800 work good in questionably lit areas for portraits?
If you are shooting the portraits/formals...I would think that a slower film (less grain) would be best. You can probably use flash and they shouldn't be moving so a fast film shouldn't be required.

Also, is it best to depend on a speedlite using the basic zone portrait setting on my Canon Rebel Ti or should I use Tv or Av mode to take in more light?
The best thing would be to understand what the modes actually do and how the flash works in conjunction with the aperture and shutter speed.

Tv or Av won't "take in more light". No offense, but these questions are leading me to think that you are unqualified to be shooting a wedding.

CDM369, 1: what date is the wedding, 2: what time of day is it, 3: will there be any other photographers there, 4: can you give a list of your equipment, 5: are you now or have you ever been married?

Honestly, I don't want to dissuade you from helping out a friend but your answers could lead to specific advice or to tell you that everyone would be better off by just handing out 20 or so disposable cameras.

mike

I can understand all the comments of concern listed here and above, but I believe my qualification for shooting a wedding was not part of the question. I'm simply seeking some technical advice on what is the best film speed for portraits. I was hoping to obtain a professional answer, not personal opinions or condescending thoughts on what I am doing. My friend is well aware of my abilities, and will appreciate any photos that I can produce.

Mike, to answer your question, the wedding is tomorrow. It will be in the late afternoon, indoors, and I am using a Rebel Ti with a 50mm lens. The lighting I am told is not the greatest. Yes, I am married, and have been in several weddings. I have also video taped a few. I am well aware of typical wedding traditions, expectations, etc. However, this is not a typical situation.

CDM369, 1: what date is the wedding, 2: what time of day is it, 3: will there be any other photographers there, 4: can you give a list of your equipment, 5: are you now or have you ever been married?

Honestly, I don't want to dissuade you from helping out a friend but your answers could lead to specific advice or to tell you that everyone would be better off by just handing out 20 or so disposable cameras.

mike

I merely told you that you need to give more information before people can give you advice on the specific question you asked. What's unproffessional about that?

Any ISO works for a portrait, it all depends on the look you want to achieve, and the lighting conditions. I figure you meant optimum quality by asking the question, so therefore I need more info before I can give any quality input.

You did answer some of the questions, but it's still not much info.

Are you doing just the wedding vows at the altar or the entire reception? You might need different ISO films for different halls.

I'm simply seeking some technical advice on what is the best film speed for portraits.
Well, I'd suggest that the 'best' film speed would be the one that has the lowest amount of grain while still having enough speed to allow for your shooting condition.

To be frank, it's nearly impossible for us to say what would be 'best'...as every situation is different.

Knowing what film speed would be appropriate, might also involve knowing what shutter speed and aperture would be appropriate in different situations. That would involve a general understanding of exposure. Now if you throw flash into the mix, that can change everything...making it easier but also a lot more complicated, especially if you want to have a nice mix of flash and ambient light.

I was hoping to obtain a professional answer
I'm sorry you seem to have taken offense...but look at it this way. What advice would you expect to get from a pilot if you were about to take your first solo flight and asked what speed you should fly at?

As a semi-professional wedding photographer, my usual advice would be to tell them to hire a professional and shoot the wedding as a guest and enjoy yourself. I know that's not always practical and as the wedding is tomorrow, that's not really an option anyway.

There is probably a good reason why you were asked to do this...so just go with what you know. Don't try to do things differently than you normally would, and you should be fine. Good luck.

Tolyk, my response about unprofessional comments was not aimed at you.

As far as what photos I will be taking, I'm mostly concerned about the portraits of the wedding party after the ceremony. I will also shoot some during the wedding, but I'm going to settle for whatever my "auto mode" gives me with a speedlite for that part. I'm doing it for free, so I reckon they are not going to be too picky. I just want to give them some fairly nice portraits. I got 400 speed film. Will that work for both scenarios? I'm not even sure if the reception is in the same building, so it's hard to say what the differences will be. Is there a second speed you would recommend taking just in case the reception area lighting is much different from the church building?

i would bring a varity of speeds.
IE. 8 rolls of 100, 8 of 200, 8 of 400 8 of 800 and maybe 2 of 1600

I would buy a few rolls of 100 for any outdoor portraits, and buy many rolls of 400. You can pull 400 to 200, or push it to 800 or 1600 with great results. Just keep track of what actual ISO you are shooting for each roll. Keep a sharpy handy.

Just to reiterate I would not go over 400 and I hope you got some decent quality film.

Look for Fuji NP film (designed for portraits and wedding dresses). Get the 160 for flash work and see if you can find 400 for non-flash in the chapel. You can use the Supra 400 for the reception, it's cheaper and will be fine fore 4x6s.

The NP and the supra have what Fuji calls a 4th layer tech which will balance tungsten and daylight or whatever, It works pretty well!
(I don't think that the 100 or 200 in supra have the 4th layer tech and are for daylight only.

mike

Honestly you will probably be most happy with what you gwt with 400. The 400 is going to give you the most consistent exposures without having to go about changing film for different things. Also if yo udo shoot with flash in church the 400 is going to give you the ability to properly expose the background along with your subjects. I cannot stress enough though the importance of getting a high quality emulsion when you are going up to 400 I personally support all the suggestions and also suggest Kodak Portra. I used to use a combination of Kodak Portra or Fuji when I shot weddings But I also used medium format.

My advice. Obviously the wedding party can't afford a professional and there is nothing wrong w/that. Do your best to get as many decently exposed photos of your friends/family enjoying themselves and they will be ever so grateful. I think if you just capture some "moments" for them, that can help them enjoy the memories then you will have done your job tenfold. Good luck.

have a good one
3Eo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back