What's different about this photo (beginners ONLY)

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you see anything in this photo that makes it somewhat different from your run of the mill garden variety(pun intended) photo?
13260135_1012281368857463_4027467350512938276_n.jpg

Looks like a garden variety flash photo to me.

"Flash" might be the key word. It looks brighter, but not in a good way. Maybe less shadow too. I think the leaves are too luminescent.

Two light sources.
The main is behind the leaves, the fill is on the camera.

Two light sources.
The main is behind the leaves, the fill is on the camera.

You are only partially right, but you are hardly a beginner. This thread clearly stated beginners only. Why? so that they could puzzle that fact out about two sources of light. HOWEVER it could hardly be behind the leaves and leave a highlight! ;) Also look VERY carefully at the shadows, one is highly diffused, and the other is fairly sharp. What can be deduced from that?

We are all beginners, just that not every one realizes that.
One is the sun, the other is on camera flash

Aesthetically speaking, there's a contrast issue. Green leaves are often darker and matte, not glowing. Shadows are good to the extent that more contrast is needed and sometimes they add interest, and they'd help here. I think the thing that's least a matter of opinion is that it looks unlike what you'd see in nature due to the lighting, so whether you like the look or not, it gets a demerit for looking contrived.

The diffused darkness on one of the leaves could be from the curvature of the leaf with the light shining through it rather than a shadow. I can't really tell that there are two different kinds of shadows.

Two highlights on the fruit coming in on different angles. One from sun, one from strobe. One issue is a branch shadow created from the flash. In all reality, probably not a good time to use the flash but creative thinking, outside the box, getting a flash off the camera in manual mode at reduced power may gift more of a 3D appearance. Going manual white balance may sort some things as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Aesthetically speaking, there's a contrast issue. Green leaves are often darker and matte, not glowing. Shadows are good to the extent that more contrast is needed and sometimes they add interest, and they'd help here. I think the thing that's least a matter of opinion is that it looks unlike what you'd see in nature due to the lighting, so whether you like the look or not, it gets a demerit for looking contrived.

The diffused darkness on one of the leaves could be from the curvature of the leaf with the light shining through it rather than a shadow. I can't really tell that there are two different kinds of shadows.

look more closely you will find the diffused shadows, and the sharp shadows. That is the skill you need to acquire. Photography is all about, and nothing more than light...in its almost infinite varieties. As for those critiquing exposure, luminescence or anything else they missed the whole thing....the light comes frst THEN you can play with the details. If you do not master the light, you will NEVER master photography.

Two highlights on the fruit coming in on different angles. One from sun, one from strobe. One issue is a branch shadow created from the flash. In all reality, probably not a good time to use the flash but creative thinking, outside the box, getting a flash off the camera in manual mode at reduced power may gift more of a 3D appearance. Going manual white balance may sort some things as well.

You're mostly right. However this photo was taken for this purpose, and fun. Was playing with harsh overcast light and various settings on the flash to see the interactions. This one was done on flash manual with it zoomed in. Neat couple of hours of learning. I was going to set up the flash on the ground behind the plant and flash up and from behind, but ran out of time...home chores needed getting to. ;)

You're mostly right. However this photo was taken for this purpose, and fun. Was playing with harsh overcast light and various settings on the flash to see the interactions. This one was done on flash manual with it zoomed in. Neat couple of hours of learning. I was going to set up the flash on the ground behind the plant and flash up and from behind, but ran out of time...home chores needed getting to. ;)
Neat, I like doing stuff like that too but I get confused at times because it is not second nature.

Neat, I like doing stuff like that too but I get confused at times because it is not second nature.

ROFLMAO! it sure as he11 ain't second nature with me! ;)

Two highlights on the fruit coming in on different angles. One from sun, one from

OK, a couple of hours learning what not to do

Most reactions

New Topics

Back