What's in your camera bag?

KyPink

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and shopping for my first SLR. I've pretty much decided on the Canon T1i. The kit lens will do me for a while but what other lens (or lenses) are must haves. I plan to do some portraits and outdoor photography.

Thanks, Jenny

I have a T1i as well. My first extra lens was the EFS 55-250. Recently I picked up an EF 70-300 IS USM. I might get a good quality mid-lens to replace the 18-55 "kit" lens that came with the camera. Also in my bag are some absolute necessities- extra battery, 4x neutral density filter, circular polarizer filter, spare storage card, assorted cables, and an old flash.

In my bag (which is a Domke F2, BTW) you will find:

(Cameras)
Canon 350D
Canon 10s (35mm)

(Lenses)
(All Canon)
50mm 1.4
85mm1.8
100mm 2.8 Macro
135mm 2.8
70-200mm 4.0 L (non IS)

(Filters)
B+W 092 (IR)
B+W 093 (IR)
B+W CPL
B+W 6 pt Star

(Other Stuff)
Macro Coupler
Various Step Up/Down Rings
Film
Batteries/Chargers/USB Cable
Multi-tool (Gerber)
Cleaning Kit (for lenses & sensor)
Manuals & other handy reference material
WhiBal

There's probably a few more things in there too, but that's what I use often enough to know it's there, lol.

I have a few more lenses and other stuff, but I don't keep them in the bag. (They don't see much use.)

Nikon D1X, D300, D200, D90, D60.

A bunch of Nikon lens and speedlights.

Though you've decided on the T1i, Nikon's D90 blows it out of the water when it comes to image quality. You may think I'm biased but I say that based on testing results by an independent lab.

You can review the labs test results right here.

The test is about image quality (RAW) only, they don't compare other features.

Couple that with Nikon's built-in CLS (Creative Lighting System) that lets you control and trigger off camera speedlights in 2 separate groups and I would suggest for portraiture, at least, the D90 might serve your purposes better.

I would recommend a macro lens, they are fun.

Canon EOS Rebel T1i
Canon 50mm f1.4
Canon 85mm F1.8
Tamron 70mm-300mm F4-5.6 Macro
Tokina 12mm-24mm F4
Canon 18mm-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS

kenko 2x teleconverter
Canon 250d closeup lense
Sunpak xx42 flash ( some model number I forget specifically )

Circular polarizer filters
ND8 filters

I've recently realized having an air can in your bag is pretty useful as well for quickly removing dust/debris from the lens glass.

I am new to photography and shopping for my first SLR. I've pretty much decided on the Canon T1i. The kit lens will do me for a while but what other lens (or lenses) are must haves. I plan to do some portraits and outdoor photography.

Thanks, Jenny

Portraits: 50mm f1.4 (if you can afford it, else the 1.8) This is a "Must Have" for portraits IMO. The f1.2L is a waste of money, but would be fun to have!

Outdoor Photos: what kind? Landscapes/wildlife: 70-200, 70-300, 75-300
If its street shooting you'll more than likely find a medium zoom works 24-105 or 28-135.

Before spending too much money on lenses, determine you shooting style, then you will know if you need telephoto or zoom or primes.

Whenever I'm out shooting for the paper, I've got two 7D's around my shoulders with my 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 on. If I'm indoors, I switch the 70-200/2.8 for my 10-22/3.5-4.5. The other lens stays in the bag. On top of that I have two water bottles, a 580EXII flash, two sets of spare batteries for the flash, my Presslite Vertex, four spare 8GB cards (I got two for free by purchasing the 7D's, though they're slowish), all manner of gels for my flash, Tiffen lintless cloths, some lens cleaning solution, and a Munsell colour card. Oh, and gaf tape. Those are the most important things, anyway.

Ask a broad question, get a broad answer.

Nature and wildlife ("outdoors") demands long glass. As for portraits, I'd suggest picking-up a 50/1.4 USM. And if you're really set on portraits, I'd plan on more primes, like an 85mm.

I've recently realized having an air can in your bag is pretty useful as well for quickly removing dust/debris from the lens glass.
Be careful with the air can, it's overkill and can force dust and debris INTO your lens even if the're sealed, and NEVER use it inside your camera body unless you don't mind paying hundreds of $$$ to replace shreaded shutter curtains.

Use a manual squeeze blower and a natural brisle brush to remove dust from your lens.

Last edited:
Nikon D700 - Gripped
Nikon D300
Nikon 24-70 F2.8
Nikon 70-200 F2.8
Nikon 60mm F2.8 Macro
Nikon 50mm F1.4
LensBaby 3

Sekonic L358 Light Meter
B+W CPL
Arctic Butterfly sensor cleaner
12 CF Cards 4 Gig Extreme III
Battery Charger
Spare batteries
Rocket Blower
Lens Pens
USB Card Reader
Aspire One Netbook as a backup device

Nikon SB-800 Flash
Nikon SB-600 Flash

Be careful with the air can, it's overkill and can force dust and debri INTO your lens even if their sealed, and NEVER use it inside your camera body unless you don't mind paying hundreds of $$$ to replace shreaded shutter curtains.

Use a manual squeeze blower and a natural brisle brush to remove dust from your lens.

I've been using canned air for some twenty years and have never had a problem with dust being forced into the lens. Having said that, I guess that it could happen. I agree wholeheartedly with your camera body comment.

Another concern in carrying the can around is that it could get inadvertently shaken and that results in liquid being sprayed. I have no clue if the liquid is damaging but it's probably not good for lenses.

I have my Canon XSI with a battery grip and 2 batteries
1 extra battery
Filters
I started with a Canon 22-50mm, Canon 55-200mm
I then added a Canon 50mm 1.8
I then added a Canon 10-22mm
I then replaced the Canon 22-50mm with a Tamron 28-75 2.8.
Thats where I stand now with my lenses.

I plan on replacing that 55-200mm with a 70-200mm sometime in the next year.

I also carry a Canon 430EX II flash and extra batteries.
I carry 3x 4GB and 1x 8GB memory cards
If going out for a while, I bring along an Asus EEE Pc for backing up along with chargers for all batteries and PC.

Did I miss it, or did no one mention a cable release?

The propellant liquid in the cans-o-air will be colder than freezing if sprayed. Sprayed on something hot, like a lens that's been out in the sun awhile could cause severe damage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back