whats makes the photographer?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Christina, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Christina

Christina TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    In your opinion what makes a photographer?

Im sure everyone will agree that simply buying a high Price camera and snaping Random things do not qualify you as a photog.

So what makes a photog and what makes you graduate from a newbie to a intermediate to a professional?

2. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The recognition of your peers, I would say. Just making money at photography isn't enough, because I've seen people pay through the nose for horrible work.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have you forgotten a "don't" in your second sentence, Christina?
    Did you not want to say "I'm sure everyone will agree that simply buying a high price camera and snapping random things don't qualify you as a photog"?
    I would think so!

Until someone called me one a few months ago and even made that word appear in the local paper in connection with my name I would never have dared to think of myself as one. A "hobby photographer", ok. But not without that qualification.

Now I sell (some), and people say the photos are "wonderful" ... and I still have a hard time to believe any of that. I try. OK. But ... I always think anyone else at the same place and time with a camera in hand could have done the same?!

So well... I tend to think that you would need to have had some training, know darkroom work, the chemicals, the processes, film and printing and all those things first, PLUS have the eye, the technical knowledge of how your camera works and all those things ... and then you have LEARNED the trade.

But if you then are an "artist", well ... that still is the question. A trained photographer you might then be. But the other?

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Being a pro just means you take money for it. It doesn't mean you are any good! ;)

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just because I am an amature doesn't mean I'm not a photographer. I also don't think there's a requirement to be good.

I think it would be the mindset. A non-photographer buys an expensive digital camera for his holidays. A photographer is someone who will get up at sunrise, or hike up the mountain for the sunset, or walk somewhere and wait for the perfect moment. If you can say that you truly enjoy taking photos and make an effort to do so, I think only then can you call yourself a photographer.

6. Christina

Christina TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

well said i think

7. Icon72

Icon72 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very well said. Whether you make money or not, whether you have formal training or not are of little consequence in my opinion. I would say a real "photographer" is someone with a passion for the art and a strong visual sense of what makes a photograph a photograph instead of just another random snap shot. Your level of photographic knowledge is important as well. All in all a tough question really.

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

A photographer and or artist has a creative mind. When you can make the lamest subject look interesting then you know you are on the right track.

Love & Bass

9. craig

craig TPF Noob!

With all due respect; you could not be further from the truth. Pros are really good at what they do.

Love & Bass

10. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
  11. Christina

Christina TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i think a photographer, may it be amatur or professional.

depends on the level of education and experience the person has. even if it is self taught, or taught by a professor. It depends on the amount of effort and time that one will put into learning to things and trying to expand their knowledge, but to me a true photograoher is some one who is consumed by the art, and can show that passion through their work.