whats makes the photographer?

Have you forgotten a "don't" in your second sentence, Christina?
Did you not want to say "I'm sure everyone will agree that simply buying a high price camera and snapping random things don't qualify you as a photog"?
I would think so!

whats all tha about both sentences are correct. is this school?

Christina edited her post after LaFoto pointed out the "don't"..LaFoto wasn't pointing out grammatical errors...

For the topic at hand..I'm not sure anybody has quite said it this way, but there is a difference in what makes a photographer, and what makes a good photographer. The problem is that it's all subjective.

For shots other than people shots, I'd look at it asking the question, "Is it good enough to be published by some big name magazine (etc..) somewhere?" Otherwise, in my opinion, it is simply a snapshot. Now obviously I (nor anyone else) cannot judge a particular photo based on other than what it looks like. If a shot comes out looking like a snapshot (again, this can be very subjective as well), I'd be curious as to what kind of effort/planning went into the shot. That would give clues as to where the shot could be improved.

For portrait/people photography, it's all in what the client wants. If the photographer can produce that consistently, then that's a 'photographer' in my book.

Just my opinion..take that and $2.00 and go to the nearest coffee shop...

In your opinion what makes a photographer?

Im sure everyone will agree that simply buying a high Price camera and snaping Random things do not qualify you as a photog.

So what makes a photog and what makes you graduate from a newbie to a intermediate to a professional?

Actually I am of the opinion that all since the introduction of easy to use roll film in the 1880's all it takes to be a photographer is to use a camera. Creativity is an innate human trait, and unless actively suppressed, with manifest itself in various ways though out life in most people.

Photography has to be the easiest of the visual arts by far. If you really want to impress someone create a decent painting or drawing. Creating a decent photograph is easy in comparison, which is why Henri Cartier Bresson (possibly the most famous photog of the 20th century) called photography "the artless art". He felt that anyone should be able to do it with minimal effort, and that was way back in the day before auto-everything cameras.

People often mistake the term professional to mean skilled, but it only means to get paid for the work. The ranks of professional photographers have been filled with no-skill hacks since the beginning, and I'm sure it will continue to be the case.

Labels, such as amateur and professional, may be useful in describing something as long as we all agree on what they mean. But in general I find that people often use labels to condescend: "He's just an amateur." Labels rarely do anything to improve a photographer's skills, yet I think they can keep people in boxes. I don't worry about what labels other people want to hang on me. I just do what I do.

Said about 100 years ago by Alfred Stieglitz:

"Let me here call attention to one of the most universally popular mistakes that have to do with photography - that of classing supposedly excellent work as professional, and using the term amateur to convey the idea of immature productions and to excuse atrociously poor photographs. As a matter of fact nearly all the greatest work is being, and has always been done, by those who are following photography for the love of it, and not merely for financial reasons. As the name implies, an amateur is one who works for love; and viewed in this light the incorrectness of the popular classification is readily apparent."

David Hurn and Bill Jay: On Being a Photographer, a Practical Guide

This is probably the only book like it, and it is brilliant. I highly recommend it.

It even discusses what the right shoes are like - but also gets nicely esoteric. A really great read.

Hurn is a member of Magnum.

I agree, except for the fact that there are 2 other books on the same level by an AMAZING author on photography:

http://www.lenswork.com/lwp.htm

I think it's any person who uses a camera with the intention of creating an image and is, or can be, consumed by all the aspects of photography. I think whether you think of it as an art form, or as a means of income, as long as it's something that goes beyond just the typical work schedule and into your free time, you are a photographer. I know people can be a photographer by technicality, but to love it as a part of your life makes you a real photographer in my opinion. :mrgreen:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i didnt think this would pulls so many responces. Everyone has a wide range of answers, but if we think about it, i guess it all boils down to the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" & in this case, the beholder is our clients.

but most of us do this because its what we love, right? so what if your a pro or amateur. keep the peace, do what you love :)

I once read a quote about pro photographers.
I don't remember it, but it came thrugh to me something like this.
"Making money on your photos is all well and good, just keep the enthusiasm of an amataur in your heart and you won't go wrong by far."

So I think that as long as you are willing to improve, be inspired by other photographers and love photography.... That's what makes a photographer.

(A friend of mine who works as a portrait photographer sayed: I don't care if I make a fortune, what matters to me is that I have my favorite hobby for a job.)

so can be said that a cell phone cam picture , can be a greater picture than a 10k cam and lenses?:meh:?

so can be said that a cell phone cam picture , can be a greater picture than a 10k cam and lenses?:meh:?

If the photographer of the 10k cam and lenses forgets to remove the lens cap, and the cell phone picture comes out? In that example, one would have to say yes. :lol:

The equipment NEVER makes the pic. It helps, but is not the defining factor. It's all about the person behind the camera.

What defines a photographer? Anyone with a camera. What defines a "true" photographer? One word... passion.

The borders from newbie to intermediate are easy... I feel I am just going through that level. Get the basics down, know your equipement and be able to understand how to improve your technique and picture quality. You are no longer afraid of the manual settings and indeed prefer them. You understand the terms and effects of shutter speed, ISO, aperture, hyperfocal and exposure as well as understand how they all incorporate into your camera and lenses. You're developing an "eye" for your pictures and starting to develop a style.

The jump from intermediate to advanced is tougher. There are many ways to judge that, but photography is extremely individual. Lots of experience and consistantly successful pictures that acheive your PREDEFINED goals at the time certainly are a requirement. Its more than just that, though.

Professional is easy... if you earn your living from photography, you are a professional. That doesn't necessarily mean you are a good photographer though!

Bruce Lee once said: "When I started martial arts, a kick was a kick and a punch was a punch, but then I learned, evolved... and a kick was more than a kick, a punch, much more than a punch. Now at the peak of my understanding, I have made an astounding discovery... a kick is a kick... and a punch, is a punch".

In the end, its not about perfection, its all about pleasure and enjoyment... its the journey, not the destination.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back