What's My Next Lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by smoke665, Nov 15, 2017.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    @Derrel I have the 70 Ltd prime that I love, but not practical really for walk around. Been eyeing the Pentax 18-135 as a possibility but the reviews are mixed.

@nerwin Not into macro that much. Only occasionally

2. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Might look into that

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I can imagine the reviews ARE "mixed"...Nikon's 18-135 that I bought in the D40 days was handy as all get-out in terms of size and focal lengths and angles-of-view that it gave on APS-C; "mixed" reviews are not always a bad thing. Some people will appreciate the flexibility of such a lens as an 18-135; others, perhaps more fixated on ultimate image quality, might find some faults with such a lens; I dunno...have not read reviews of the 18-135 Pentax. I will shoot many times at f/8, which is an aperture that even the lower-cost zooms are typically very good at...diffraction often takes the edge off of the high-dollar lenses, and my experience is that at f/7.1 or f/8, many lenses, even the low-specification cheapie models, are pretty good performers.

I'd consider adding a 12mm or 13mm extension tube (depends on the brand), and also maybe a 20mm tube, for use with the 70mm Limited prime lens.

A full-frame body would make that 70mm Ltd. even more-useful on a daily or weekly basis, but on 1.5x, it becomes fairly narrow for many shooting scenarios.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Not the lens you were thinking of replacing but I found the DA55-300 to be a vast improvement over the 50-200. Well worth the money IMO.

5. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Not really in my walk about consideration, I have a Sigma 100-300 that I rarely use, yet it's there in my bag. I'm not sure if it's my inherent hand shake, or the lens but I have been eyeing as a replacement for the future a
    HD DA 55-300 mms f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE (What a mouthful).

6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    As @Gary A. would say, "you rarely use it because you rarely use it" I think Gary A is wise sometimes.

7. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That's a newer improved version over my one, mine doesn't have the weather sealing mores the pity. Previously I carried a DA50-200 & a F100-300. The 55-300 nearly covers the whole of that range & works out a lot lighter.
    I have used kept it mounted as a walk about lens, but only when out in the country. Changing to a wider lens for a landscape shot is rarely time critical, but trying to snap wildlife before the kids scare it off needs much quicker reactions. :) The longer lengths also come into their own for motorsports which I've shoot a fair bit off...

In town I usually just use the 18-55 or a 10-24. All the kit lens upgrades I can think of seem to go slightly wider rather than longer. I have picked up some AF film zooms which are somewhere around 24-100 & 35-80 but their image quality hasn't impressed me :(

8. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    New to me Pentax 18-135 on the way.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

I think you will find an 18-135 an excellent all-around lens for an APS-C camera; it's the zoom lens range/type that I bought as the starter lens for my wife's D40 kit around 2006 or 2007...made a nice Christmas gift, and she had all the most-commonly used focal lengths in one lens, plus a lightweight 55-200 for outdoor "tele-work".

The way I think of this kind of a zoom, it's a shot-getter, not a shot-misser, like a bunch of prime lenses can be. You see or envision a shot, and with an 18-135mm range, you can frame it up and shoot it, in seconds. BAM! Shot captured.

• Agree Agree x 1