whats next

im_trying11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
heres what i got goin on
i just made my confirmation in april. I got $650. i spent 120 on a skateboard and the rest on a d40 with the 18-55. My parents decided that they would pay a little so they can use it now and then. I was wondering what should be the next thing a buy a flash or lens. i would like to stay under $200. i shoot mostly sports(skating baseball bikes) and flowers/bugs(as good as i can get wit the kit). what would you guys recomend. thanks

I think you should always have a flash. Even if its just a basic under 100 dollar one. As long as you can point it up and not directly at your subject it will allow your 18-55 to be more effective.

I have a flash that I got at best buy for 63.99(on sale because it was opened). I've taken some great shots with Kit lens and that.

I'll probably get speedlight but right now I'm good with that.

^^yes... you may want to get an SB400 Speedlight to take advantage of the wicked 1/500 flash sync....

or consider the 55-200mmVR lens for extended range...

those are the two items i am debating on. possibly a sigma lens

Would that imply that nikon flashes are faster than canon? 1/200 vs 1/500?

Regarding your debate. Flash is good to have regardless.

can anyone suggest a generic brand flash. also will the flash help with marco shots. i want something to make a more crisp focus

Regarind your debate. Flash is good to have regardless.

huh??....

the D40 has the 1/500 flash sync speed.... I suggested the entry level Nikon SB400 $100 flash...

this flash is designed to work ttl metering flash output with Nikons...

Sunpak and Vivitar are highly used as strobes here. I use a Sunpak as my on camera flash(maybe I'm cheap but I've had success).

huh??....

the D40 has the 1/500 flash sync speed.... I suggested the entry level Nikon SB400 $100 flash...

this flash is designed to work ttl metering flash output with Nikons...

I might have been thinking of shutter speed....let me read something quick so I can make sure I"m not being we tod did.

It's not the flash. It's the D40 shutter. It's partially electronic. The mechanical shutter opens while the sensor is off. Then the sensor turns on and the flash is fired. 1/500 second later, the sensor turns off and afterwards the mechanical shutter closes. With that technique, the camera is not hampered by the miles-per-hour speed of the shutter curtains.

A 50mm 1.8 lens would probably be awesome for the stuff you're shooting. They are only about $100, and the quality is amazing. It can take really sharp pictures with lots background blur, which I would think a person like you would want.
But a flash would probably be good to... You could probably get both, actually.

can the flash shoot continuous or do you need other lights for like skating at night so i can shoot continuous without flash

can the flash shoot continuous or do you need other lights for like skating at night so i can shoot continuous without flash

no.... flashes need time to recycle..... depends on batteries used etc...

the 50mm 1.8 that someone mentioned is also a good idea, but remember you will have to manual focus this lens and this will be difficult with skateboarding..

Unless you're really really close (a foot or two) and your lens opens really really wide (f/2 or wider) and your ISO is really really high (1600), no flash in the world will allow continuous shooting.

At a ten-foot distance, f/3.5 and ISO-100, most flashes need several seconds between shots. It's the nature of the beast.

Ohhh, I forgot you would have to manual focus..I don't know about the 50mm then..Should have gone CANON!!!!! MUHWHAHAHAHA ;)

thanks for the feedback hearing that i have no continuous lighting source i am most likely going to get a lense

Most reactions

Back