Whats should i bring?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Royster, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Royster

Royster TPF Noob!

Hello guys, im new in this art and i just acquired my first SLR, i will be going to the Philippine Islands next week for a 4 week holiday, so aside from my camera instruction and my Photography for dummies book what are the essential eqipment and accesories that i should bring? Anyway i have a Canon EOS 300x with 28-90mm and 90-300mm lens, has anyone used this camera before, any tips?

Thanks in advance.

2. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    A few shirts, pants, change of underwear, toothbrush, some socks.. oh and pyjamas <- I always forget to pack these!

Wasn't this question posted a few days ago?

Camera wise, It's always a big toss up for me between weight and pretty pictures and chance of something getting broken. Also it depends on the type of holiday - are you going to be treking through bush or lazing in a 5star resort? I'd take the minimum if I were you - no matter what holiday. Sorry I didn't really help you much did I.

3. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Take your film in a see-through bag and try and get them to hand inspect it at the airport not put it through the machine.
    Don't have a film loaded in your camera at the airport and make sure the camera has working batteries.
    Spare batteries.
    Plenty of ISO 100 and 50 film.
    Lots of large (not drug sized) zip-lock freezer bags to keep your stuff watertight.
    Cotton buds and cleaning cloths.

Rob

4. Royster

Royster TPF Noob!

Thanks Meysha i almost forgot those, ha ha. I will be trekking up in the northern mountains after attending my friends wedding. I think its too hot there for pyjamas though.

Thanks Robhesketh, those are very useful information. Where do you suggest i buy my films? reason im asking is, theres a big diffrence in temperature and humidity in the UK and Philippines, im just worried it might cause my films to go off.

5. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well...id keep your films somewhere cool...another thing to look out for is your camera, I went to america *about my 9th or 10th time not sure* and me and my Dad just left out cameras lying around, near the air conditionair, and when we went outside they steamed up.

As for film, keem the 50 ISO's as cool as possible...and no the scanners at airports SHOULDNT do much to your cam, but defenetly listen to robhesketh about not having film in camera, and asking them to check it by hand, plus extra batteries.
    I think youll need both your lenses, and any extra filters you like.

Although most like to take everything light, im a youngen and I put everything I can fit into my bag, and this is why my back hurts every night, but its worth it.

Dont be shy to get the cam out...I know its hard and is to much work, but itll be worth it.

Oh yeh...have fun :p

6. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

You should buy your films from somewhere which sells a lot of it and keeps it properly (in a fridge). Generally a super-sized Jessops will be OK, but if you haven't got a good one then it's up to London and into one of the monster camera shops in the West End. Check the expiry date on the film - the further into the future, the better.

Keep the film cool, preferably refrigerated, in a low moisture environment until you leave. A tupperware box in the fridge does the job well. Choice of film is of course personal and can be argued to death, but I like Velvia (50) and Provia (100) colour for this type of environment.

Don't worry too much about the heat and humidity - you can't do anything about this! Just ensure that you take the normal sensible precautions - avoid changing films when it's raining or when you're on the beach. Don't leave your kit in the direct sunshine, especially the car boot when it's a hot day.

If your kit does stop working whilst out and about, DON'T PANIC! get into an air-conditioned bar and have a few drinks and wait for it to cool off and then test it before panicking officially and ripping everything apart and losing your film. I find that semi-tropical environments and photography in hot environments will jam the shutter on almost everything electronic after a few hours. My trusty manual SLRs are pretty much the best in these situations, but expect a few quirks with auto-focus and such on a complex camera.

Good luck, you'll be fine!

Rob

7. Royster

Royster TPF Noob!

Thank you all for the much needed input, reading photo books that says a lot about caring for your film and kit kind of turns you into a worry wart. Still better safe than sorry, i must remind myself im on holiday.

Thanks again guys!