What's the best Nikon Camera out there

Thats because only idiots and magazine journalists (who get forced by said idiots) try to just rank cameras ? All cameras have strengths and disadvantages. You cant just rate that on some scale and then declare one best. The question is what you want to do. And for most people its also a question of budget.

The D810 is the current image quality flagship. It can do anything, but its definitely the top choice for landscape, portrait, and studio. It doesnt have much in respect to fps though, so not such a great sports camera.

The D5 is the current reporter and sports photography flagship. Extreme reserves to get the picture, no matter how awful the light and how fast and irregular the subject moves. Also build to last. Interestingly so much optimized for low light that its performance in good light is somewhat underwhelming.

The D500 is the current top camera for wildlife photography. Also endless lowlight reserves. Its basically a D5 with a crop sensor.

The D750 is the current allrounder full frame option. Compact and lightweight and a flipscreen. Better lowlight performance than the D810, but cant touch D5 (and the D500 is in some areas better in lowlight, too, not to mention in respect to autofocus in low light).

The D610 is the current cheap entry into full frame.

The D7200 is the current semiprofessional crop camera. Its basically the lowest end for professionals, because it has sufficient controls to not keep menusurfing during operation. The D500 is better in most respects, but also a lot more expensive. The D7200 is more optimized for general image quality than lowlight.

The D5500 is the current higher tier entry level camera. It lacks many essential features for a professional photographer, such as sufficient controls to operate the camera quickly, an in camera body autofocus motor for older lenses (prefix AF instead of AF-S), or more advanced flash features.

The D3400 is the brand new lower tier entry level camera. Its basically optimized for being cheap. Its still a very competent camera, just like the D5500. You'll have a very hard time to distinguish a well made picture from the D3400 with a picture from the image quality flagship D810. Still the D810 has more reserves, is much better build, operates much faster etc.

There is no such thing as 'the best'. If there were, it would be the only one on the market.

Last edited:
Which is the best? The next one, then the one after that, then the one after that.

What about canon cameras
just look at prices and organize them based on prices from high to low. That will give you a "ranking" per say of any brand.

Most ppl looking at a $6,000 don't care about the $400 camera. Sooner or later you also may look at Mirrorless cameras too, or other ones.
list of Canon EOS DSLR cameras ==> Canon EOS Digital Cameras | Canon Online Store

first off, how much you have to spend and what kind of shooting do you want to do comes in to play to figure out what is best for you..

D810 is a great all around full frame camera, its probably suited best for portrait and landscape work but will take excellent quality photos of anything, its got a hefty price tag.

D610 is a very nice camera full frame camera that should do well for most anything you want to shoot and its affordable for a full frame.

D750 is a great all around full frame camera that should be good at everything and does very well for low light and video a little more expensive than the 610

D5 is a amazing full frame camera with a amazing auto fucus system and amazing low light performance. the D5 should be great for all types of shooting but its crazy expensive

D500 is a crop sensor camera aimed at wildlife and sports but will shot anything you want just fine, its very good in low light, amazing auto focus system, 10 fps, huge buffer and all kinds of stuff, its a flag ship crop sensor model. its expensive for a crop sensor but about the same price as the D750

D7200 very nice crop sensor camera, it takes great photos of everything for what it is. cost less than the other camera bodys, its the best bang for the buck for a higher end camera if you are on a budget. the D7200 and the D750 the camera bodys are set up almost the same as far as dials and buttons go, not exactly the same but very close. the 750 is a bigger and heavier body.

anything below the D7XXX series will still take a great photo but starts lacking featurea and has a bodty that is not as convenient to use.

since wild life is my thing the D500 is the camera I would buy hands down, that camera body is amazing. its actually never technology that the D5 and in some aspects people like it better than the D5 according to quite a few comparison videos i have watched between the 2 and being that allot of people seem to prefer the less expensive crop sensor model over a much more expensive full frame that says something right there. for the money I think the D500 is the camera to get over all others if you are ok with having a crop sensor. they basically have the same autofocus system but its been improved a bit on the D500, the D500 takes more shots per second and has a better buffer and some stuff like that.

if i wanted a full frame camera and i could afford it the D5 is the cameras i would buy.
if i wanted full frame but needed to spend less money the D750 is the one i would buy.

This is my opinion on the subject. there is really no best camera body out there, however there may be a camera body that fits best for your specific needs.

The best Nikon is the one I have in my hand at the time. Today, Coolpix P7100

These cameras are all 500$+. Would buying used be a good idea?

Really depends. Personally, I'll buy used lenses but not a fan of used bodies.

If you do get a used body, check somewhere reputable like a local camera store or B&H.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back