Whats the best Point and Shoot Digital Camera

dpnaugle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm new to the forum and was hoping that you all could give me your opinions about the best point and shoot digital camera out there.

I like the looks of the Sony DSC-T1. the large view screen in a really nice feature, but Im cutious what others might be as good and better

Thanks in advance

DN

For point and shoot i htink all you need to worry about is having enough resolution- and having good glass- that sony has a good lense and if all you looking for is point and shoot it will do fine.

The general rule is you get what you pay for and at the lower end of the digital market you normally get big leaps in quality for each extra amout of $ and once you get higher in the ranges the differences arent so pronounced

Resolution is only a very small amount of the equation...

Have you ever seen the 11x14 prints from the four megapixel d2h.
THEY are AMAZING, if the photographer used a good lense, that is.

It is infinatly more important to have good optics than a higher resolution sensor. The T-1 is okay, but the optics might get you an 8x10, if you use a tripod.

If you go for a sony, look for a camera with good Carl Zeiss optics. I think the T-1 does have zeiss optics, but come on. That lense lets in an extremely small amount of light. The T-1 has also had some problems with some kind of prism inside it, though i'm not completely clear on that point.

If you want a good sony, get a p-150, or the W-1. Personally, a P&S camera with more than 5 million pixels is pointless, as the optics are not good enough to take advantage of them. If you wait a bit, the W-1 should come down in price as the W-5 is going to be released soon.

What about Nikon, Pentax, Canon, etc, I am not dead set on Sony I just want the best bang for my buck.

DN

If you want the best bang for your buck, buy a dSLR, in my opinion. Check out www.kenrockwell.com I was very disappointed with my P/S camera because it was so slow. They all are so slow. The 8mp vs. 6mp doesn't even matter. If you check out that aforementioned website you can read all about it. I bought the nikon d70 and I couldnt be happier. It was worth the extra payment.
Craig

Also be aware that Canon is releasing a newer version to the digital rebel (300d) call the Digital Rebel XT (350d) I believe the price will be 899. This will drive the current digital rebel's price down significantly. So check that out as an option. DSLRs will blow and P&S out of the water and are well worth the little extra amount.

Defintelyt things like the nikon 8700 is not worth it, your tat close to DSLR that it is more worth it to go them.

P&S is slow but 'prosumer' ZLR is fast, they are a good choice if your looking into point and shoot and also gives you the freedom to play with manual controls if you want to

i have a zlr, and i wish i had a dSLR. my little zlr takes great pictures and it has a great resolution and lens, but if i had the money i would definitely go with a dSLR (duh?). I have a kodak easyshare dx7630. Not many people use kodak, but this one is actually very nice. It has 6.1 megapixels and a Schneider - KREUZNACH lens (39-117mm or 3x zoom).

dpnaugle said:
Hey all

I'm new to the forum and was hoping that you all could give me your opinions about the best point and shoot digital camera out there.

I like the looks of the Sony DSC-T1. the large view screen in a really nice feature, but Im cutious what others might be as good and better

Thanks in advance

DN

WARNING!!!

sorry to say it, but the T1 is the biggest piece of junk i've EVER seen. HORRIBLE picture quality, though its fast, and small, and big screen. Its really a shame.

If i had to recommend a camera, point and shoot only i'd recommend the Nikon coolpix 7900. 7.1 mp, 3x zoom, fast fast fast, li-ion battery, decent glass. Or the 5900 5.1mp version of the 7900.

5900 about $350
7900 about $450
(US dollars)

--Ryan

Most reactions

Back