What's the best SLR 35mm camera to buy ??

micsteam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm planning on travelling quite a lot in the next two years and want to know what's the best 35 mm digital camera to buy ?? I'm not new to photography with a 35mm but I used to use film and I'd like to go with something more current also would like to get some pointers on which printer to go with that would utilize my new equipment. As I said I'm going to be travelling a lot and any info on a digital 35mm camera, compact binoculars, and printer would greatly be appreciated. I'm planning on making an investment in these items so I'd like something that won't be outdated in the next few years.
Thanks,
Chris

What is your budget? What do you mean by 35mm digital camera? Do you mean full frame sensor (the same size as 35mm film) or any digital SLR (even those with smaller sensors)?

Do you have any old lenses? They might be able to work with newer digital models.

I'm willing to spend up to $1200-$1500 if need be. I only mention 35mm as the digital slr cameras I've seen look very similar to 35mm film cameras. I'm looking for the best picture with the best options in an automatic camera that has manual settings at selection. If you guys wouldn't mind making suggestions as far as printers and a set of compact binoculars.
Thanks

I think a good traveling kit in your price range would be a Nikon d80 with an 18-200 VR. It has all your basic point and shoot modes, aperture priority, shutter priority and full manual (as well as full automatic). Canon has similar camera bodies, Nikon just has the 18-200 which would make an excellent travel do-everything lens.

I'm willing to spend up to $1200-$1500 if need be. I only mention 35mm as the digital slr cameras I've seen look very similar to 35mm film cameras. I'm looking for the best picture with the best options in an automatic camera that has manual settings at selection. If you guys wouldn't mind making suggestions as far as printers and a set of compact binoculars.
Thanks

Well...lets start from the basics here. Digital and 35 mm are two entirely different media, Asking for a 35mm digital SLR is like looking for oil based watercolors. All you are going to accomplish with that is confuse the people who are able to help you. That is why the answers you have recieved so far are not very insightful, We just don't know exactly what it is you are looking for nor do (did now) know what you had to spend on the camera.

Depending how light you'll be travelling, I'd be tempted to take a good compact instead of a DSLR. Something like the Canon G9 or their SD950IS (which is absolutely tiny but takes superb pictures). Although it won't ultimately be as powerful, that'll be more than offset by the convenience and eccessibility. Picture quality from today's better compacts is unbelievably good. I use a high quality DSLR with multiple lenses when appropriate, but I never leave home without a compact in my pocket.

Don't forget battery life, and that may have to recharge the battery at awkward moments.

I think a good traveling kit in your price range would be a Nikon d80 with an 18-200 VR. It has all your basic point and shoot modes, aperture priority, shutter priority and full manual (as well as full automatic). Canon has similar camera bodies, Nikon just has the 18-200 which would make an excellent travel do-everything lens.

But I guess that would depend on wether you want image quality or the convenience of 1 lens.

I've done some research based on suggestions here and I've come up with either the Nikon D40x 10.2 or Nikon D80 which would be best ?? I already have a good compact 12.1 megapixel Sony I use for close up stuff but I have to say I have an older Kodak DX6490 4 mp that seems to take better pictures and I don't get redeye with it why is that ?? I'm going to need a short range lens (which I think the Nikon comes with ) and a good long range lens (I'm going to be in some instances a good distance away from my subjects) any suggestions ??

On the Sony compact I did set it to reduce redeye and it still seems to come through, any suggestions there ??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back