What's the best way to find models?

clee27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering what's the best way to find models or people that need a portfolio that would be willing to model in order for me to build my portfolio as well.

I find posting on craigslist make photographers look bad or if not ....it doesn't sound very trustworthy. (ie. if i was a model looking for a photographer and money was tight I still wouldn't go look on craigslist for a photographer...where would i look?)

Any help would be appreciated thank you!

Model Mayhem - free signup, hit/miss on quality, lots of flakes but the occasional gem
One Model Place - $10 minimum signup, better quality, still some flakes

On MM, check out local photographer's portfolios, too, and start networking. You'll get a better idea of who to work with or not from them once you're part of that group.

From a quality perspective, the more you're willing to pay for models, the higher quality the posing will be. TFCD models is typically a hit or miss proposition (more often a miss if you don't know how to pose a model). A good paid model can take your direction, pose her/himself to fit, and offer suggestions. Don't be shy with it for the first time or two. You'll learn a LOT from the experience.

TFCD models is typically a hit or miss proposition (more often a miss if you don't know how to pose a model). A good paid model can take your direction, pose her/himself to fit, and offer suggestions. Don't be shy with it for the first time or two. You'll learn a LOT from the experience.

Ok whats TFCD stand for?

TFCD = Time for CD (pics on CD)

TFP = Time for photos

It's an exchange between models and photographers of time and materials to build portfolios.

To join MM you need to have 4 good photos of models. I treid to join them and didnt have any models just some head shots and a few others that were not good enough for them and I was rejected and you get 2 tries on the account that you submited. So I am looking for models too.

TFCD = Time for CD (pics on CD)

TFP = Time for photos

It's an exchange between models and photographers of time and materials to build portfolios.

Ok stupid question., whats Time for photos mean? I understand the TFCD part.

TFP actually means "Time for Prints", which, in the film days, is how it was done.

You can still search for models without a membership. Or just get a friend to pose for headshots. I know lots of photographers on there who have nothing BUT headshots. Quality is not the goal for newbies.

I thought the minimum was 5 photos, though...

If you live near a college, you can post in their papers or even pass out flyers on campus (be careful, that may be illegal). But I would be specific as to what kind of photos they will be - and put what you're willing to give/pay. Also, make sure you're e-mail is on there, b/c I know most girls are more likely to e-mail than call b/c its a little awkward.

Mayhem is a great site. OMP is hideous and I don't feel like paying. You will encounter flakes. Deal with it. The only time you can be 100% flake-free is if you shoot agency models.

MM is a good site to use in my opinion. I usually have models contacting me and I offer them a quick one hour session. If they do good and we both like the portraits and the way the session went, I ask for a longer more detailed session. If it doesn't turn out great, I thank them for their time, send them the photos and move on. Either way we both win. I learn from every session and every model different things. I don't think it's about being a flake. I think either a model has that potential or they don't.

I don't think it's about being a flake. I think either a model has that potential or they don't.

No offense, but this is spoken like someone who's never been flaked on, let alone multiple times. You'd be surprised how many people on MM double-book (myself not included).

No offense, but this is spoken like someone who's never been flaked on, let alone multiple times. You'd be surprised how many people on MM double-book (myself not included).

No offense taken. I actually was thinking you meant more about being real models or not. I can totally agree that a lot of the models on MM seem to not show up or cancel at the last moment. I'm sorry for the confusion.

I'm just getting into photography once again. I took several classes in high school (1987). I do home daycare so I have plenty of little models. I think I did it more for a hobby but would like to REALLY get into it more. My family is really into racing so I also get good shots at the track.

If you want to improve your portfolio I would suggest saving up and hiring a model from a reputable agency. Real models are great at what they do and are paid to do what you want. They are agency models for a reason.

If the models you find on those free sites were dynamic and interesting enough they would have representation.

That's my opinion anyways - you get what you pay for!

THEN AGAIN - if you need to practice I would go for the TFP models first, otherwise it will be a waste of money.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back