What's the best way to let a camera dry out?

William Petruzzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.petruzzo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At a shoot yesterday, my 5D caught a bit of condensation. I didn't notice during the shoot and the picture's weren't too badly affected. But today, when I pulled the camera out I'm getting Error 99 messages. When I looked up the error, I made sure nothing else was the problem (i.e., lens, battery, memory card, contacts, etc.) then someone wrote that condensation can cause error 99.

I figured that must be the problem. So, what's the best way to let the body dry out? Right now I have the body on a desk with the cap off, but under a ziploc bag to help reduce dust that might drift in.

Anything else I should do?

And, on another note, how can I avoid condensation in the future? I thought I knew, but apparently I didn't.

Place it in a warm dry area (table by the window in the sun?) and wait a few days if it is that bad. Pull the battery out of it ASAP as a good practice.

Second choice is in the dryer but the bouncing will scratch the outside case some... lol

Man. A few days. A few days is definitely not the number I wanted to hear. However, I can't imagine that the condensation was that bad. It only barely showed up in the pictures. The outside of the lens was perfectly dry. I just figured there must have been a tiny bit of condensation inside when I switched the lens.

If you can get hold of some sachets of silica gel, place the camear and the sachets in a tin in a warmish place. The more silica you can get the better.

That should speed things up considerably.

I find it funny that you’re complaining about waiting a few days for the camera to dry out when you will be lucky to even have it work ever again.

Let it sit a few days without the battery, after that try it out and if you still have the error you may be able to flash the software.

Being that the camera turns on means the damage is more than likely already done. It is not as much the small amount of water that damages electronics it is the electrical current the does the most damage when you turned the camera on with water in it.

To be honest, it would be preferable for things to be shot permanently. My insurance will cover the loss and replace the camera with a new one, no fuss. But, if I have to send it in for a repair, there's a good chance the repair will cost considerably more and take more time. My camera goes into pretty heavy use.

I'd almost rather it be done for good. Save me the cost of renting another backup body too.

well best thing is the silica gell and camera is a sealed container (tin or plastic bag works well - the less air in the container the better - that way the moisture in the camera is affected sooner).
A warm place would boost the humidity of the container and help things along.
And yes, sadly - this could take a few days - my remote took 3 days to fully dry out

One point worth mentioning is that if the problem is condensation the water is extremely pure and unlikely to cause any permanent damage provided there is nothing in the camera for it to dissolve.

If everything is OK after drying you should not have done any damage.

With water ingress there is always the danger that the water will contain minute amounts of impurity which can be deposited between electrical components forming a bridge that can stop the equipment working or, often worse, make it work intermittently.

Do you still have your cameras original box? There should be packets in there. Also at the grocery store the may have some moisture absorbant canisters. I cant remember the names of some of the products though.

Even if you can't find the moisture munchers (shoe stores will often give you packs, you can buy them online too; also found in new purses, luggage and bags; pharmacy might have some though you may need to put it in your own baggies), get the unit to a nice air conditioned room. You need the cold DRY air it produces. Don't place it right in front of the air flow, but make sure the air in the room is cold. Leave it overnight at least...after about a day and a half/two days you won't get much more benefit.

A hairdrier set on "cool" as long as it really is cool, will also help.

Good luck!

One place that I ALWAYS find those little packets is in packages of beef jerky. There might be a little lingering smell after wards but the small packages of jerky are pretty cheap. Hope it goes well for you one way or another getting a new camera or having yours start working again.

How's he going to find enough Silica Gel, really? Why hasn't anyone mentioned uncooked rice? It works exactly like silica gel, but it's easier to get ahold of.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back