What's the difference between these wide angle lenses?

JohnS.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm on bhphotovideo right now and I'm looking to get a wide angle for my Nikon D40. But there are Zoom Super Wide, Zoom Super Wide Angle, Super Wide, Super Wide Angle, etc. Prices range from like $100 to like $900 :shock:.

Here's where I'm at:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...c=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=12041&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=

It seems like there is no difference between "Import" and "USA" besides warranty so I'm not too worried about that. I think I'll just go for "Import" since they're cheaper. Not too worried about a warranty either.

But as far as lenses go, why are some $110 and others $500? They seem to be the same thing..? Besides the obvious zoom differences of course... I see the Zoom Super Wide 18-70 for $330 while you can also get the Zoom Super Wide 18-55 for $110.

I'm most likely going to go for the $110 one if / when I get one. But I was just curious about the differences and such drastic price differences.

But as far as lenses go, why are some $110 and others $500? They seem to be the same thing..? Besides the obvious zoom differences of course... I see the Zoom Super Wide 18-70 for $330 while you can also get the Zoom Super Wide 18-55 for $110.

I'm most likely going to go for the $110 one if / when I get one. But I was just curious about the differences and such drastic price differences.

You should buy according to your need, the todays need. There are 2 type of 18-55, one with VR and one without. The one I am using now is teh $110 version, no VR. It is ok lens. But if you do have spare $80 you can have with VR feature in it. But than again if you do have money the 16-85 VR is one of the best lens as far as IQ is concern.

Imagine you have a Volkswagen and a Mercedes to compare. They both have 4 doors, and 4 wheels, can go up to 220 Km/h, so basically both will get you where you want to go. There are however differences in build quality, additional options, engine acceleration performance etc.
Same thing goes for lenses: They have the same zoom range, but different max. apertures, auto focus speed, build quality etc. There is more to a lens than it's focal range. More money usually means better image quality and better build. Compare some lens reviews, for example at www.photozone.de, and you will get the general idea.

What lenses do you have currently? Do you have the kit lens that came with the camera?

VR is ALLOT less useful down around 70 mm and less. So, if you're going for a wide angle lens VR isn't a critical factor in the decision IMO.

I guess prices are based on spec. supply & demand, and what the market will bare.

You should buy according to your need, the todays need. There are 2 type of 18-55, one with VR and one without. The one I am using now is teh $110 version, no VR. It is ok lens. But if you do have spare $80 you can have with VR feature in it. But than again if you do have money the 16-85 VR is one of the best lens as far as IQ is concern.

Thanks for the input! :thumbup:. I don't think I"ll need VR since someone else said VR isn't that useful under 70mm (which I'm not looking to go over).

Imagine you have a Volkswagen and a Mercedes to compare. They both have 4 doors, and 4 wheels, can go up to 220 Km/h, so basically both will get you where you want to go. There are however differences in build quality, additional options, engine acceleration performance etc.
Same thing goes for lenses: They have the same zoom range, but different max. apertures, auto focus speed, build quality etc. There is more to a lens than it's focal range. More money usually means better image quality and better build. Compare some lens reviews, for example at www.photozone.de, and you will get the general idea.

Makes sense. Again, I don't know much about DSLR's or accessories / lenses. I just got my D40 less than 3 weeks ago and I'm still learning.

Thanks for the input :thumbup:.

What lenses do you have currently? Do you have the kit lens that came with the camera?

I just have the basic 18-55 one that came with the camera kit. I'm not looking to go nuts. I don't need anything fancy or nice. I'm not looking to go professional, just want my D40 as a hobby. But along the way, I do want to pick up a few lenses and try to get nice shots.

VR is ALLOT less useful down around 70 mm and less. So, if you're going for a wide angle lens VR isn't a critical factor in the decision IMO.

I guess prices are based on spec. supply & demand, and what the market will bare.

Thanks for the info :thumbup:. Definitely helps when / if I get stuck on VR / Non-VR lenses in the future.

I'm not looking to get a far zooming lens. I'm happy with my 18-55. I don't need a bigger one. I barely know how to use my camera to it's full potential so why waste money on things I won't know how to use right?

Thanks again everyone! Keep the input coming :D.

amej8

You say you already have 18-55 kit lens, well the 18-55 you talked about you already have. An 18-70 will not give you anything significantly better or different. If you want wider angle then you need to get down to the 12 - 24 mm wide zooms and those are rather expensive. If you want wider aperture in the range of 18-55 then you are looking at 17-55 f2.8 type lenses, and those are very expensive.

I suggest you use the lens you have right now for a while, it is a perfectly good piece of glass. After using it for a while you will begin to understand what kind of photos you prefer taking and that will go a long ways towards helping you decide on your next glass purchase.

But for just a fun, inexpensive and excellent lens, try a 50mm f1.8. Most who own one will not let it go.

Have fun learning.

not to sound condescending or anything, but if you just bought your camera 3 weeks ago, and you have the kit lens, you should look for other ways to improve your photography. Buying lenses will not help you take "nice shots". buy some books, take a course, or better yet - just give yourself a few months(years) to learn your current equipment.
more lenses and better cameras will not make you a better photographer, as the cliche goes.

Most of all, if you need to ask others what the difference between different lenses is, then you probably should hold off the upgrades until you have a better grasp of the basics of photography.
Good luck and enjoy.

Price difference between lenses is also often in the speed, or maximum aperture, of the lens. sure you could get a 75-300 F/3-5.6 (made up) for 300 dollars or so, but if you get that same zoom range in say F/2.8 the price will rise significantly. Thats the advantage to many of canon's L seris lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back