What's the difference in specs?

krisb23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In the market for a new lens but need some help figuring out the difference in specs that warrant the jump in price between these two lenses:

Amazon.com: Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo

versus:

Amazon.com: Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF Standard Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

I'm looking for a versatile lens I can use to shoot portraits, landscape, and events. Any suggestions out there? Thanks to anyone who's willing to take the time to respond!

~k

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The difference is build quality, upward compatibility, and resale value.

Nikon does not give Sigma proprietary technical information about how Nikon cameras work.

Sigma has to reverse engineer their gear to work with Nikon's CPU and other systems.

When people upgrade their Nikon camera body, there is the possibility they may have to send their Sigma lens back in to get "re-chipped" so it will work on the newer Nikon camera body.

Sigma, to come in at less than 1/2 Nikon's price point has to make compromises in materials, manufacturing processes, and support.

Compare the length and terms of the warrranties.

As said above, but note this does not make it a bad lens. Especially not for the price. For a technical comparison checkout reviews at Welcome to Photozone! They have relatively good indications of distortion, sharpness, vignetting and CA which will ultimately affect image quality.

The Sigma offers probably 90 percent of the optical performance of the Nikkor lens in "regular" lighting conditions, but the Nikkor's exclusive Nano-Crystal antireflection coatings are superior when you shoot toward bright lights. The Nikon finished first overall in every category in one three-way test I saw done on-line between the Canon 24-70,Sigma 24-70--on the SAME, identical Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III camera. The Nikon lens was the winner in terms of overall image quality in resolution, as well as corner performance. The Canon was second, the Sigma 3rd.

The resale issue on the Nikon: when you buy a top-class lens like this $1800 Nikkor, you can use it for five or six years, and with inflation and the slow,gradual upping of price, sell it for almost what you payed for it, five years later. if you buy it today, used, you can use it for five years and expect to sell it in five years for MORE than you payed for it. With the Sigma, if you buy it new for $899, in five years you will be lucky to get 50% of the new price back.

Great feedback all - thanks for the extra links/info which I will definitely read and Derrel, thank you as well for putting into perspective regarding resell value, which I hadn't thought of.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back